Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
For the people have swapped their cdr23 with fibre optic

I will be ordering the continental radio https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio/continental-tr7412ub-or.html but am stuck on what path to go for the fiber optic cable.

I can order the adaptor from bergvillfx that costs more than the radio and keep everything behind the head unit stock.

Or

Run wires from the head unit to the fronk, remove the amp and just run the speakers off the head unit. The conti is 45w and 4 ohm. The door speakers are 75 w and 2 ohm? So I think that would fry the head unit? Unless I ran a resistor?

Or

Run wires to a new amp

I am trying to keep costs down on this project as I rarely listen to the radio while driving and mostly want this for stock look, USB / Bluetooth.

Let me know what way you guys hooked it up / what amp etc you went with.

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
I am No. 1348

Garage
Ohms are cumulative 2 speakers in the doors at 2 Ohms each = 4 Ohms which is exactly what your head unit wants to eat. The Watts won't fry the speakers, they just will sound underpowered.

I was hoping you'd opt for the Bergvillfx cable to be the pioneer for all of us MOST users.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Ohms are cumulative 2 speakers in the doors at 2 Ohms each = 4 Ohms which is exactly what your head unit wants to eat. The Watts won't fry the speakers, they just will sound underpowered.

I was hoping you'd opt for the Bergvillfx cable to be the pioneer for all of us MOST users.

Still researching the cable as I find the cost to seem a bit high. Mercedes and BMW have the same problem and on their forums a few have used the aliexpress cable and have had it work. Still waiting for a reply to see if they have one with the right connectors for our cars.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

If you are talking about the eLongate kit we've ordered one a few weeks ago. 2CH input only however, good for a carpc or a ipad set-up. Not sure if this will work for your 4CH deck? Unless you don't care about the F/R fading then it should be fine.

Mate here got it in hands on the unit, goes in his 987 to try the infotain we're putting together atm. That infotain's got digital 5.1 Surround so fading can be adjusted by software

ps; pay attention when shopping, seen 2 other MOST converters locally but FM modulators instead. No exp with this kit, no idea what it is in fact, but I'm sure we don't want that.

That's the one we end up getting at the end...

Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #5

For info:

Mercedes Benz Porsche RCA audio adapter kit for MOST fiber optic power amplifier to aftermarket Car DVD GPS (emulator converter) - China benz amplifier adapter,Mercedes amplifier decoder,Porsche audio emulator from Long MK Trade Limited
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

I ordered the radio, for now I think I will run some wires back and bypass the amp.

Looking at the Chinese vs thebergvill cable , bergville is plug and play the Chinese you have some hook ups to do. The price difference is pretty minimal so I think the best option is going with bergville.

Looking at the costs of cdr23 and the amp on eBay I think I may try sell them and that would pay for the stereo / new amp.

For those of you that went with a new amp what adaptor did you use on the factory harness?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #7

Affordable yea. Kit needs a noise and EMI proof enclosure though. Pretty crazy logic in there :/ e.g. change that light PP for a sealed alloy enclosure and voila, potentially a good product (if done properly).

Changing the system is the way to go I've read a few times on RL. You could get some pretty true sound with the latest gears out there, not THAT expansive (good wires are though). Your speakers are half decent, so you got this advantage

Keep us updated bud
Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

I went cheap and used the stock amp because I wasn't looking for a hifi system. If I was a modern amp would be in order. That said I think people are chasing their tales expecting great acoustics in a Boxster or 911.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Guy View Post
I think people are chasing their tales expecting great acoustics in a Boxster or 911.
You should hear mine.
All aftermarket, Infinty dash and door speakers, 8" kicker sub pushed by a 250 watt mono amp...

I really only use it on longer road trips, though. Any other time, I just want to hear the engine.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
That said I think people are chasing their tales expecting great acoustics in a Boxster or 911.
Good observation, apparently;

Stopped by our most reputable car sound designers downtown to have them laughing out loud at me when I've asked them to set me up with a decent sound kit. What a Sunday afternoon! When they saw that amount of sound reflecting glass & plastic the Boxster had in that shoebox-size cabin, they all burst into laugh. They simply refused to install anything in my car fearing I'll let someone knows its their kit. Was that bad.

So.... I moved to a slightly lower-end shop LOL to be told about the same thing :/ That guy said the only way to get a min quality sound is to install a loud system in there. Pictures of permanent hearing injury and wicked mode frequencies included.

Like yourself, I've pretty much quit chasing sound fidelity near a flat-6 engine. Stock speakers for me, stock amp maybe, sufficient, BUT with a kick arse factory-looking front end. I-cannot-wait!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-20-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #11

The search continues , need to find a harness to connect from the amp plug shown to the back of the continental radio

Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #12
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I'm not certain there is a separate plug that would fit into that. Perhaps you could cut up a junk amp to get that connector to make a harness to go from the HU to the speakers?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I'm not certain there is a separate plug that would fit into that. Perhaps you could cut up a junk amp to get that connector to make a harness to go from the HU to the speakers?
I am getting closer apparently Harmon carmen made the amp for Becker. If all else fails I could remove the connector from the amp but trying to avoid that.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #14

Update:

I have contacted multiple sites that make cabling / radio mods for info / having a harness made. They all wanted nothing to do with it. I ended up at https://cai-store.com I let them know the situation, the radio and how I wanted to hook it up.

Rod the owner replied with a link to the Chinese most bus converter and suggested keeping the factory amp for a low cost solution. I mentioned bypassing the amp and running the subs under power. This is his response.

Quote:
4 channel amp with decent power would be ideal. Even the little compact Alpine KTP power pack guy with 45 x 4, and 2 ohm stable. The idea of series wiring the 2 ohm door woofers would only work if someone is using an amplifier-a radio would have to run a load like that on only one speaker output, either right or left, and then there goes half the stereo sound, plus hardly any power.

Most radios have about 20 honest watts of power x 4 outputs, this Alpine power pack is 45 continuous watts x 4. That amp is $149.99, and we could build and prep a wiring kit, probably for another $90 or so.

After sending a few emails back and forth with Rod I have decided to go with the alpine amp. It will cost more than the most bus adaptor but the great customer support and the ability to upgrade speakers in the future sold me.

Once I get everything here I will take lots of pictures and do a full diy
Old 06-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Update:

I have contacted multiple sites that make cabling / radio mods for info / having a harness made. They all wanted nothing to do with it. I ended up at https://cai-store.com I let them know the situation, the radio and how I wanted to hook it up.....
As I have posted in a few threads before, Rod is the best IMHO. He knows his stuff when it comes to stereos and Porsches. You can call him and he gives advice freely. The guy has a passion for what he does.
ps no affiliation
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #16

I have a system done by CAI (Rod) and it was almost plug and play. A little bit more expensive but a couple of hours and I am listening to a new system. He supplies harnesses etc.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillies View Post
I have a system done by CAI (Rod) and it was almost plug and play. A little bit more expensive but a couple of hours and I am listening to a new system. He supplies harnesses etc.
I was really surprised by the service Rod provided. The way he suggested the Chinese adaptor and other helpful ideas while not trying to sell his product right out the gate. It was defiantly worth the extra money.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
That said I think people are chasing their tales expecting great acoustics in a Boxster or 911.
The sound quality in a boxster is very good. A lil road noise depending on your tire choice. I'm running prob one of the most powerful systems in a Boxster. And I removed every single inch of the factory crap system. Tho upgrading any single one piece of the stock unit, even the fiber unit is super easy in these cars...

My System:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4" LTE In Dash
Behringer USB Digital Audio Converter
6" SPDIF Cable
Helix DSP
PhoenixGold 1700w 5ch Amp
MB Quartz Components, tweeters in front of door handles. (Getting new panels and moving them to the Pillars. )
2 13.5" JL Audio Subwoofers.

With the amount of storage space I have, I have a ton of .FLAC and I sometimes have trouble prying myself away from my car. I've been known to pull into my garage with the windows up and sit in the car for hours on accident because I can't get enough of the insane Symphony.

Good Quality audio can easilly be had with the Boxster. I went all in, I don't expect anyone to follow in my footsteps but my car is hard top only now so I have a ton of space where the soft top was. But for those who still drop the top and what not, there are lovely JL Audio pre fab subwoofers that put out mean bass and rest easily under the top when its down. ! And every single component set fits in the Boxsters Door Speakers.... I hate the dash speakers with a passion, unless putting just a tweeter here, they are just wrong, overpower the door speakers but the point I'm trying to get at, is there are lots of options for people lacking space like the Boxster world.

It shouldn't be afraid of.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #19

Can't wait for the DIY Martin, might get some ideas from you! Please let us know how this little amps works out. Testing two others AMP here in similar outputs as yours...

Looking forward hearing from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I have a ton of .FLAC
I have 12.5 terabytes of FLAC content. All legally purchased (of course!) Few trade in/out with other collectors also Zero MP3 though, nowhere to be found on any of my HDD... how poor :/

Thanks for detailing the system you have there, some serious stuff bud (ouch)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I have 12.5 terabytes of FLAC content. All legally purchased (of course!) Few trade in/out with other collectors also Zero MP3 though, nowhere to be found on any of my HDD... how poor :/

Thanks for detailing the system you have there, some serious stuff bud (ouch)
Showoff! :ah: Def don't have that much. Most of my stuff is 320kbps but I'd say 1/3rd of my stuff is FLAC. I love my system. Gonna be upgrading the Door speakers right now, they are really high quality but very old now and the heat seems to have taken a toll on the tweeters