Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Garage
New to the forum and to the Boxster owners family - Need some pointers

I just purchased a 2001 Boxster S. It is in really great shape but I need a few things.
Any one know of a source for the piece in the picture? Cowling between the bumper and the Frunk?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

I, too, recently got a Boxster. This part was crumbing on mine, and I ordered a replacement from Pelican Parts. It's part no. 996-504-811-01C-M100, and it was just over $50. Takes about 5 minutes to install, and makes a huge difference in the look -- and, I presume, in keeping water out of the lock assembly.

Edit to add: looks like you're missing 3 of the 4 plastic fastener locks. Those are not included with the lock cover, and I don't know the p/n.

Last edited by AdamT; 06-13-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: omission
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Garage
I just purchased a 2001 Boxster S. It is in really great shape but I need a few things.
I need the wind shield cowling, does anyone have a good source for this part and does it come with replacement covers for the attachment slots? The tabs are broken on one of mine and it will not stay put?
Also the trim around the window? Mine is old and cracked. Are the replacements black. It looks like the original my have been silver(fake chrome)???

Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
I, too, recently got a Boxster. This part was crumbing on mine, and I ordered a replacement from Pelican Parts. It's part no. 996-504-811-01C-M100, and it was just over $50. Takes about 5 minutes to install, and makes a huge difference in the look -- and, I presume, in keeping water out of the lock assembly.

Edit to add: looks like you're missing 3 of the 4 plastic fastener locks. Those are not included with the lock cover, and I don't know the p/n.
Thanks looks like Pelican is the place to start.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome to the forum.
Those parts are very common faults on these cars. For new parts, I always like to check Pelican first; good prices, customer service, and they are the forum sponsor. A local dealership can also be good for plastic trim, nuts and bolts.
If I need any used parts, I first check with Woody: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html
(user name itsnotanova)
If Woody doesn't have it, I'll go to: Quality Porsche Parts | eBay Stores

Short of having a parts car, that should cover anything you'll need.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Those parts are very common faults on these cars. For new parts, I always like to check Pelican first; good prices, customer service, and they are the forum sponsor. A local dealership can also be good for plastic trim, nuts and bolts.
If I need any used parts, I first check with Woody: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html
(user name itsnotanova)
If Woody doesn't have it, I'll go to: Quality Porsche Parts | eBay Stores

Short of having a parts car, that should cover anything you'll need.
Thanks for the links!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #7

Joe

Congrats on the car! She looks nice! Have you joined PCA yet? We have a great club here in GA. The club is holding our monthly social tonight at PCNA headquarters. Great group of people that have lots of great events.

I had to replace all those parts on my 2001 S as well.

The windshield trim goes bad with age and sun. Originally, that trim was titanium color (special for S model). You can get a replacement from Pelican (it comes in a box the size of a windshield!)

The trim around the windshield is actually 2 parts. The outer black rubber part (which plugs into the titanium colored part) and the titanium colored part. They are sold separately. You should be able to re-use the black rubber part.

I'm pretty sure the official way to change that trim is to remove the windshield, install the trim, and reinstall the windshield, but I was able to remove the old trim and install the new one without removing the windshield. But it was a bunch of work! I'm up here in Smyrna, and I'd be happy to show you how to do it some weekend if you are interested. I used a putty knife and a broken nylon spatula to do the job (and lots of patience). Replacing the trim really improves the look of the car!

Trim part number: (Sorry, I don't have it in front of me but I'll update this in a day or two when I can dig it up)

From what I've seen, the lock panel cover (plastic panel between the headlights that covers the frunk latch) always seem to get brittle and crack on the sides with age. Installing a new one will really clean up the look of the frunk. Here's the part numbers for the cover and the retainers:

Lock Panel Cover (996-504-811-00)
Retainers (999-590-036-40)

The cowl covers always seem to crack at the mounting points. Cover doesn't include the bolt covers, so you need to order those too:

cowl panel cover (996.572.563.06.01C)
Right cowl panel cover screw cap (996.572.570.01.01C).
Left cowl panel cover screw cap (996.572.569.01.01C)

Looks like the previous owner cheaped out and put generic wiper blades on it. You'll want to replace those with original bosch blades. They come as a matched pair, and the passenger side is curved to follow the curve of the bottom of the windshield. Prices for the blades are all over the place. The cheapest ones I found were on ebay. Make sure they are actually Bosch branded, not equivalents.

Bosch wiper blade set (Twin 582S)

Trust me when I say that I've probably replaced anything that you are bound to replace on your 2001 S, so don't hesitate to give me a shout if I can help.

For new parts - I always check Pelican Parts first, then I check Jim Ellis Porsche (now called Porsche Perimeter). They give a discount to PCA members (you have to let them know though).

For used parts - I always check Woody (ItsNotANova) here on the forum and if he doesn't have it I then try QualityPorscheParts on ebay.

ALSO

Download a copy of the PET (Boxster Parts Book). Just do a search for a file with the name: 986_USA_KATALOG.pdf .

Good luck with it!

Bill
Old 06-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Joe

Congrats on the car! She looks nice! Have you joined PCA yet? We have a great club here in GA. The club is holding our monthly social tonight at PCNA headquarters. Great group of people that have lots of great events.

I had to replace all those parts on my 2001 S as well.

The windshield trim goes bad with age and sun. Originally, that trim was titanium color (special for S model). You can get a replacement from Pelican (it comes in a box the size of a windshield!)

The trim around the windshield is actually 2 parts. The outer black rubber part (which plugs into the titanium colored part) and the titanium colored part. They are sold separately. You should be able to re-use the black rubber part.

I'm pretty sure the official way to change that trim is to remove the windshield, install the trim, and reinstall the windshield, but I was able to remove the old trim and install the new one without removing the windshield. But it was a bunch of work! I'm up here in Smyrna, and I'd be happy to show you how to do it some weekend if you are interested. I used a putty knife and a broken nylon spatula to do the job (and lots of patience). Replacing the trim really improves the look of the car!

Trim part number: (Sorry, I don't have it in front of me but I'll update this in a day or two when I can dig it up)

From what I've seen, the lock panel cover (plastic panel between the headlights that covers the frunk latch) always seem to get brittle and crack on the sides with age. Installing a new one will really clean up the look of the frunk. Here's the part numbers for the cover and the retainers:

Lock Panel Cover (996-504-811-00)
Retainers (999-590-036-40)

The cowl covers always seem to crack at the mounting points. Cover doesn't include the bolt covers, so you need to order those too:

cowl panel cover (996.572.563.06.01C)
Right cowl panel cover screw cap (996.572.570.01.01C).
Left cowl panel cover screw cap (996.572.569.01.01C)

Looks like the previous owner cheaped out and put generic wiper blades on it. You'll want to replace those with original bosch blades. They come as a matched pair, and the passenger side is curved to follow the curve of the bottom of the windshield. Prices for the blades are all over the place. The cheapest ones I found were on ebay. Make sure they are actually Bosch branded, not equivalents.

Bosch wiper blade set (Twin 582S)

Trust me when I say that I've probably replaced anything that you are bound to replace on your 2001 S, so don't hesitate to give me a shout if I can help.

For new parts - I always check Pelican Parts first, then I check Jim Ellis Porsche (now called Porsche Perimeter). They give a discount to PCA members (you have to let them know though).

For used parts - I always check Woody (ItsNotANova) here on the forum and if he doesn't have it I then try QualityPorscheParts on ebay.

ALSO

Download a copy of the PET (Boxster Parts Book). Just do a search for a file with the name: 986_USA_KATALOG.pdf .

Good luck with it!

Bill
Thanks Bill - Lots of good info here.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You will find this to be invaluable:
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf
Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #10

Garage
Bill, Were you able to get the S version of the trim in titanium color? Or was is black? thx joe
Old 06-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #11

Garage
yep this pdf is great! thx
Old 06-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames View Post
I need the wind shield cowling, does anyone have a good source for this part and does it come with replacement covers for the attachment slots? The tabs are broken on one of mine and it will not stay put?
Also the trim around the window? Mine is old and cracked. Are the replacements black. It looks like the original my have been silver(fake chrome)???

Painting that may be the way to go.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote