Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #1

Shipping Vehicle to Germany

My next duty station is in Germany and I'd like to take my 2000S with me. Any recommendations for overseas shipping companies? I've searched on here but most of the information is for domestic shipping or is somewhat dated.
Also, I've heard that I should buy winter tires here and ship them with my household goods because tires are more expensive in Germany... can anyone confirm or dispell that rumor? I'm under the impression that some things may be cheaper there simply because it is a German car.
Thanks!
Troy

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
U.S. armed forces?
Don't they ship household/car for free anymore?

Well, let me tell you, that you will find premium prices here in Germany, especially cars & stuff.
But I thought that Japan would have even higher prices.
Just check and compare tire prizes online reifen.de for example.
...the Autobahn is waiting
Old 05-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
U.S. armed forces?
Don't they ship household/car for free anymore?

Well, let me tell you, that you will find premium prices here in Germany, especially cars & stuff.
But I thought that Japan would have even higher prices.
Just check and compare tire prizes online reifen.de for example.
...the Autobahn is waiting
They do ship a vehicle, but this is the other one that I'm trying to get over there. :-)
I didn't ship any car to Japan (very expensive to get it licensed there and usually involves emission mods) but I couldn't miss out on having the Boxster in Germany.
I'm very much looking forward to the Autobahn and maybe an easy drive around the ring!
Thanks for the advice with reifen.de. I'll check that out.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Buy your Porsche parts and tires in Poland. It is just 'down the road/autobahn' !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #5

Just saying - you could probably pick up a set of cheep second hand OEM Porsche wheels with winter tires in Germany for a lower price than the cost of new winter tires.
Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert993TT View Post
Just saying - you could probably pick up a set of cheep second hand OEM Porsche wheels with winter tires in Germany for a lower price than the cost of new winter tires.
I was giving this some thought as well. I don't have an extra set of wheels so I was at least going to get those in Germany. If I don't find a great deal locally, then perhaps I'll wait until I get there then check out the slightly used market. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #7

Imho

Spent 10 years in Germany (Wiesbaden). Buy your winter wheels on the economy and the tires from the PX.

ps You won't pay German sales tax at the PX.

Last edited by schnellman; 05-30-2017 at 11:42 AM.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Tires are the same price, so are most of the other parts I've' heard a few times. Its the bloody added taxes the killer over there Troy.

Also heard aliens likes to visit military installations in Germany. Already came a few time! Don;t believe me just hook up with your library/historian, he/she pull out the now-unclassified records for you. Mehhehe

Wish you luck with the move Troy, pretty cool place you going too
Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Spent 10 years in Germany (Wiesbaden). Buy your winter wheels on the economy and the tires from the PX.

ps You won't pay German sales tax at the PX.
Thanks for the info! This may be the easiest plan as well.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Tires are the same price, so are most of the other parts I've' heard a few times. Its the bloody added taxes the killer over there Troy.

Also heard aliens likes to visit military installations in Germany. Already came a few time! Don;t believe me just hook up with your library/historian, he/she pull out the now-unclassified records for you. Mehhehe

Wish you luck with the move Troy, pretty cool place you going too
Luckily, I think we will be able to get back some or all of the VAT as part of being stationed there, so that should help somewhat with the costs.

As for the aliens... I'll have to ask. ;-)

Once I have my address, I'll let you know where to send a set of the next round of center caps!

Old 06-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
Once I have my address, I'll let you know where to send a set of the next round of center caps!
Those caps are gone! you snoozed lolll Let's hope I'm wrong and we'll see them appearing out of nowhere again. Fingers crossed

Encrypt the addy before sending

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-02-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
germany , shipping , tires