Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

HPDE and the slippery slope

Last year I did my first 2 HPDE's - one at Mosport and one at Palmer in Massachusetts. Equipment expenditures for last year were just for the helmet and Brey Krause rollbar extension. This year I'm planning on doing 3 events, NJMP Thunderbolt this Friday and Saturday, then Mt. Tremblant in July and VIR in October. Just sticking with my stock Boxster S, this is what I've done this year-

Ben006 short shifter
Wheel studs from Woody to replace wheel locks
ROW M030 suspension kit
Mantis 1.2 liter deep sump kit
Under drive pulley
Stainless steel flexible brake lines
Brey Krause fire extinguisher mount and H3R fire extinguisher
Magnetic numbers, no more masking tape!
OMP balaclava
Alpinstar gloves
That's it for this year, I swear! You guys with tow vehicles, trailers and track cars, my hat's off to you!

Last edited by PaulE; 06-01-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Forgot a couple of things on the list!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I'm registered for July at Tremblant. Look me up: black Boxster #44. Really happy to see another Box at Tremblant. Can't beleive how many GT3s, RS's , Trailers and Winnies there are here. I really am the poor cousin with my 986 S! They may lose me in the straights but sometimes I catch 'em in the corners!
See you there!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I'm registered for July at Tremblant. Look me up: black Boxster #44. Really happy to see another Box at Tremblant. Can't beleive how many GT3s, RS's , Trailers and Winnies there are here. I really am the poor cousin with my 986 S! They may lose me in the straights but sometimes I catch 'em in the corners!
See you there!
It's a deal. I will be the Seal Gray Boxster S #229 in the Green run group. At home I feel like my car is an F-15. At the track I feel like it's a P-51 Mustang!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
See you there!
I think the track experience is getting less and less fun due to the speeds and technology driving the cars. As someone who has a wide range of cars in the stable, I have to say I enjoy driving my 16+ year old cars on the track the most. I almost exclusively drive my 2000 996 on the track and have my son drive the boxster. both of those cars are so much more fun to drive then the newer cars because as my son says, he likes manual since your so involved and you feel faster then you actually are. Watching him learning to drive on manual makes me realize how much more you have to understand momentum and how much more you need to plan ahead. I think that's what makes the old school cars so fun for me on the track. To your point, you may not be the fastest out there, but at least you are developing a feel and skills with driving that the computer controlled cars can never teach you. The 991 GT3 drivers will never develop driving skills that your older car will. I have had a 991 GT3 and it is an awesome car, but I still liked driving the 996 so much more. I felt that I was always learning.

2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 - Nostalgia
lowpue is offline   Reply With Quote