986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shipping Vehicle to Germany (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66758)

Troy.Boxster 05-29-2017 05:39 AM

Shipping Vehicle to Germany

My next duty station is in Germany and I'd like to take my 2000S with me. Any recommendations for overseas shipping companies? I've searched on here but most of the information is for domestic shipping or is somewhat dated.
Also, I've heard that I should buy winter tires here and ship them with my household goods because tires are more expensive in Germany... can anyone confirm or dispell that rumor? I'm under the impression that some things may be cheaper there simply because it is a German car.
Thanks!
Troy

BRAN 05-29-2017 10:51 AM

U.S. armed forces?
Don't they ship household/car for free anymore?

Well, let me tell you, that you will find premium prices here in Germany, especially cars & stuff.
But I thought that Japan would have even higher prices.
Just check and compare tire prizes online reifen.de for example.
...the Autobahn is waiting :cheers:

Troy.Boxster 05-29-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAN (Post 538844)
U.S. armed forces?
Don't they ship household/car for free anymore?

Well, let me tell you, that you will find premium prices here in Germany, especially cars & stuff.
But I thought that Japan would have even higher prices.
Just check and compare tire prizes online reifen.de for example.
...the Autobahn is waiting :cheers:

They do ship a vehicle, but this is the other one that I'm trying to get over there. :-)
I didn't ship any car to Japan (very expensive to get it licensed there and usually involves emission mods) but I couldn't miss out on having the Boxster in Germany.
I'm very much looking forward to the Autobahn and maybe an easy drive around the ring!
Thanks for the advice with reifen.de. I'll check that out.

Gelbster 05-29-2017 03:24 PM

Buy your Porsche parts and tires in Poland. It is just 'down the road/autobahn' !

Robert993TT 05-29-2017 07:39 PM

Just saying - you could probably pick up a set of cheep second hand OEM Porsche wheels with winter tires in Germany for a lower price than the cost of new winter tires.

Troy.Boxster 05-29-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert993TT (Post 538885)
Just saying - you could probably pick up a set of cheep second hand OEM Porsche wheels with winter tires in Germany for a lower price than the cost of new winter tires.

I was giving this some thought as well. I don't have an extra set of wheels so I was at least going to get those in Germany. If I don't find a great deal locally, then perhaps I'll wait until I get there then check out the slightly used market. Thanks!

schnellman 05-30-2017 11:19 AM

Imho

Spent 10 years in Germany (Wiesbaden). Buy your winter wheels on the economy and the tires from the PX.

ps You won't pay German sales tax at the PX.

Nine8Six 05-30-2017 11:34 AM

Tires are the same price, so are most of the other parts I've' heard a few times. Its the bloody added taxes the killer over there Troy.

Also heard aliens likes to visit military installations in Germany. Already came a few time! Don;t believe me just hook up with your library/historian, he/she pull out the now-unclassified records for you. Mehhehe

Wish you luck with the move Troy, pretty cool place you going too

Troy.Boxster 06-02-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 538941)
Spent 10 years in Germany (Wiesbaden). Buy your winter wheels on the economy and the tires from the PX.

ps You won't pay German sales tax at the PX.

Thanks for the info! This may be the easiest plan as well. :)

Troy.Boxster 06-02-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 538945)
Tires are the same price, so are most of the other parts I've' heard a few times. Its the bloody added taxes the killer over there Troy.

Also heard aliens likes to visit military installations in Germany. Already came a few time! Don;t believe me just hook up with your library/historian, he/she pull out the now-unclassified records for you. Mehhehe

Wish you luck with the move Troy, pretty cool place you going too

Luckily, I think we will be able to get back some or all of the VAT as part of being stationed there, so that should help somewhat with the costs.

As for the aliens... I'll have to ask. ;-)

Once I have my address, I'll let you know where to send a set of the next round of center caps!

Nine8Six 06-02-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster (Post 539294)
Once I have my address, I'll let you know where to send a set of the next round of center caps!

Those caps are gone! you snoozed lolll Let's hope I'm wrong and we'll see them appearing out of nowhere again. Fingers crossed

Encrypt the addy before sending :D