Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

Another thing to watch for

I'm annoyed. I was doing a brake/clutch flush today, and jacked up the back end to get to the clutch bleeder. I had the Motive power bleeder hooked up so of course the frunk was open. Suddenly the hood struts gave and the hood smashed down on top of the Motive cap on the brake fluid reservoir. Oh well, lift up the hood and get on with life, right? No, now I have a ding in the hood.

I was also worried about the brake fluid reservoir being damaged, but it seems dry all around and no obvious cracks.

I suspect the struts are losing their holding power after 16 years. So you older Boxster owners be wary of this and put some extra support in when you've got the frunk open and the ass end high.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
I'm annoyed. I was doing a brake/clutch flush today, and jacked up the back end to get to the clutch bleeder. I had the Motive power bleeder hooked up so of course the frunk was open. Suddenly the hood struts gave and the hood smashed down on top of the Motive cap on the brake fluid reservoir. Oh well, lift up the hood and get on with life, right? No, now I have a ding in the hood.

I was also worried about the brake fluid reservoir being damaged, but it seems dry all around and no obvious cracks.

I suspect the struts are losing their holding power after 16 years. So you older Boxster owners be wary of this and put some extra support in when you've got the frunk open and the ass end high.
Maybe a paintless dent guy can fix that hood ding.

I just replaced my front trunk support struts and have rear ones on order. In my case I put a broomstick in to hold up the frunk lid and it was just long enough to bend that side of the hood up, my body shop fixed that for me though. I have found the cheapest place for front and rear trunk support struts is Amazon for the Stabilus/Sachs brand, which I think is OEM - I paid about $45 per pair for front and rear with free shipping.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

That's not a ding, its a tit.
I feel for you. If the paint is not cracked, PDR can work but its a little more $ than a door ding.

I have one on my car right now. I tried to be a good guy and give a guy a jump on a cold, nasty, windy day. Right as we were in the process, a huge gust of wind pushed the hood closed on the jumper cables. Of course, it missed the under hood braces by a good half an inch.

Pisses me off everyday I look at it. Going to have it fixed this summer.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

There's no such thing as free shipping to Canada.
Yeah I was thinking of PDR; may just give it a try. I suspect like many things, though, it's all in the expertise of the individual you happen to get that day you show up...
Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #5

Tits are good, dings are not. Let's call it a reverse ding...
Old 05-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Oh you guys.

I need the 911 PDR'd. Several dings and a dent under the driver's mirror post (thanks to the jackwagon that screwed that up).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #7

The frunk and trunk shocks were one of the first things I changed when I bought my car 4 years ago (had no choice - they were all bad)...

Got them all from Pelican (Stabilus brand):

Fronts were $23.50 each (996-511-551-01-M24)
Rears were $20.20.25 each (986-512-951-00-M24)

Probably a bit higher now (parts always seem to go up over time)...

Amazon also had good prices but I wasn't able to find the exact OEM part numbers there.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
Luckyed

Garage
Did mine too.....just watch when you ease the clip off the retainer. I shot one across my garage.....
Old 05-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #9

Garage
Started noticing when the wind blew and the hood cracked me on the back of the head.
Just replaced and definitely the originals were done as the new are super supportive.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #10

Garage
Hood struts have pressurized gas inside to support weight. Temperature varies the gas pressure, so on a cold day they "fail" easily.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Hood struts have pressurized gas inside to support weight. Temperature varies the gas pressure, so on a cold day they "fail" easily.
That's true, and if you live somewhere that has cold winters, old struts will let the hood fall down and new ones will still hold it up!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Where's the best place to get stabilus brand in Canada? My frunk lid caught me in the forehead when I was putting a twofour in there.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #13
still plays with cars...

Garage
Just gave PaulE’s reply a quick glance... and I first read “pantiless” instead of “paint less” .
God, I need to pay more attention.
But at the same time, I wonder how much extra pantiless dent removal would cost, though.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Just gave PaulE’s reply a quick glance... and I first read “pantiless” instead of “paint less” .
God, I need to pay more attention.
But at the same time, I wonder how much extra pantiless dent removal would cost, though.
After putting 40%+ of what I paid for my new purchase into the car, I sourced a paintless dent removal pro. He came recommended by my glass and tint guy (on multiple of my vehicles). He took a couple dings out of a McLaren last Friday. Anyhow... the price was so ridiculously low I won't quote it. Suffice it to say that it was far below what is the average 'per-ding' cost. However, it's clear that a solid ding guy is paid for results, not his time, Took him 1.5 hours on my car, and I watched him take out every single ding. I was captivated.

I had counted about 9 dings, and a silver-dollar size dent on a rocker panel. Not only did he remove the rocker panel dent, not ding, by accessing through the passenger side vent, he counted and corrected 11 more dings including the very 'frunk' dings to which you refer.

I left his shop with a car with zero dings or dents. I will say that any paint that needs correcting will stand out... to the trained eye.

I found my guy first on Yelp. Two days later when I was having the windows tinted I saw the name of the guy on an article on the wall. You could phone your dealer and see who they use. Or your local higher-end automotive dealer... see who they use.

Just my $.02

Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote