Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #21
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
As I've said twice, there's nothing wrong with your picture.
They are probably using Internet Explorer, which is kind of antiquated.

You guys should try Google Chrome. It's faster, safer and pictures should display correctly.
IE only on the work comps.

Shhh.

ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by likestadraw View Post
Stopped by a Porsche dealership and kicking tires looking (just looking) at Boxsters new and used. I'm sure the 2017's are fast, better and more desirable than my 2001S but I was actually sort of turned off by the opulence. Ok it's not Pagani opulent but the 2001S is down right spartan by comparison. The graffite paint, carbon fiber, titanium trim mix just seemed excessive for the sake of excessive. Seems to have lost its 550 soul. So I'm happy with the older car and a bit of the little bastard image.
Agreed.

Something about a base model with a couple creature comforts just kinda fits the bill for me.
Mine is pretty old, and I think I'm the 4th owner.
I couldn't imagine getting rid of it though.

I love just looking at it in person or in pictures, and thinking, "Fvkc yeah, pretty sweet little chariot I got myself here."
The lines, the drop top, the simplicity, the heads it turns.
Like a modern day 550, though not as iconic, the 986's are definitely in the family.
ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #23
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
As I've said twice, there's nothing wrong with your picture.
They are probably using Internet Explorer, which is kind of antiquated.

You guys should try Google Chrome. It's faster, safer and pictures should display correctly.
nope

Chrome browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by likestadraw View Post
Stopped by a Porsche dealership and kicking tires looking (just looking) at Boxsters new and used. I'm sure the 2017's are fast, better and more desirable than my 2001S but I was actually sort of turned off by the opulence. Ok it's not Pagani opulent but the 2001S is down right spartan by comparison. The graffite paint, carbon fiber, titanium trim mix just seemed excessive for the sake of excessive. Seems to have lost its 550 soul. So I'm happy with the older car and a bit of the little bastard image.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage

This is fun!

Okay...I'm out.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
... compared to my 2003 S somehow I felt I was driving a Corvette. It was more solid and powerful, but the seating position was lower and the creases at the tops of the front fenders gave me a Corvette feel, if that makes any sense. Having said that, I have been jonesing for a 991 Cayman S, GTS or GT4, but I want to stick with my 03 Boxster S and learn how to drive it better at a few HDPEs for a while longer.
I haven't driven any of the newer Porsches, but they seem too big to be sports cars. I was passed by someone in a new Cayman recently and I was surprised at how large it looked. The Carreras seem even more ponderous. On the other hand, the quality and design of the interiors is much nicer than my 986.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #26
I am No. 1348

Garage
I would get a 718 in a heartbeat; if I didn't have to tap into my retirement savings that is.

It is a wonderful car and really just the right size. It is insanely fast and better handling than our generation cars.

I really love the nose, the side air scoops, and of course that lovely booty!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #27

Garage
The soul of a 550 is what sold me on my silver '97. It's also why I've kept it old school with the amber lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #28
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 on keeping it simple. My wife's 09 S is an amazing beast to drive. But I enjoy driving my 97 more. It is a really tight, well thought out, uncomplicated car. Get in, drive, enjoy. Long live the amber. :dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
The soul of a 550 is what sold me on my silver '97. It's also why I've kept it old school with the amber lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote