Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Automobile Insurance

Anyone used Hagerty Insurance Company. I received a personal quote on my Boxster that is $200 less than Traverlers is charging me . I might add I have two cars insured with Travelers a VW TDI Sportwagen, my Boxster, and a Nissan Pickup. http://www.Hagerty.com

Last edited by Lew; 05-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

I used Hagerty for a 356. I think Hagerty has mileage and some other restrictions. Like I couldn't use the car for normal work driving. I also had to show another car available to me for normal use. But rates were great and the do agreed value.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Just to see the difference, Travelers is charging me $195 per year for 300/100 Bodily Injury and $57 for 50k for Property Damage. Hargerty quoted $73 for 300/100 BI and 100k for PD, that's doubled Travelers, and Hargerty only wants $25 for PD coverage. All other coverages are also less that Travelers. Nothing mentions how many miles I can drive the car. One other thing is Hargerty's Guaranteed Value on my Boxster.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Hmm.

My experience was similar to achilles: I had Hagerty on my 911SC when I only drove it on weekends and it definitely had a mileage limitation and I had to show that I had another car for daily use. When I decided to make the 911SC my daily driver, Hagerty said that they couldn't insure the 911SC for every day use (and lots of miles per year), so I added the 911SC back to my Mercury policy and dropped Hagerty. Its definitely possible that they have changed their underwriting guidelines, but I'd contact your insurance agent and confirm that you don't have any mileage limitations.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-22-2017 at 04:53 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I have a call in for the agent regarding glass coverage and I will question if there are mileage limits. I will mention the only thing I have read in the info packet about mileage is the flat bed towing limits is 15 miles.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #6

I have my Alfa with American collectors in Cherry Hill NJ...I don't remember the specifics of my coverage (matches my GEICO coverage of other cars)...2500 miles a year. ~$140 year.

My brother had two Corvettes with American years ago (mid- 90's) a '78 Pace car and an '86 coupe. Full coverage for both was $400/year.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #7

Garage
I just ran a quote on Hagerty for my '03 Boxster. It came to about 38% less than my current State Farm coverage, a savings of about $220/yr. The website is very explicit about no mileage limits. They do insist that every driver in the household have a daily driver. But the coverage looks good, and it's definitely 'agreed value', and several other features that would be very attractive for true classics and collectibles.

I'm tempted, but some of the savings would be lost, as I'd lose my State Farm multi- car discount on my 328i.

Last edited by RobertF; 05-22-2017 at 06:08 PM.
RobertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I looked st Hagerty for my 911 but was put-off by the annual premiums being paid all together. I'm with Leland-West and the service has been very good so far. I have mine set to 3000/year (optimistic) with an occasional commute.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

Leland-West looks good but since I only drive the Boxster it won't work for me. Just like Hagerty there must be a separate car for each driver in the house so the car they insure isnt a DD.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #10

I looked at Hagerty as well a couple of years ago but the mileage and use limitations were pretty significant. I'm looking for excuses to drive it not restrictions. I don't really mind the additional State Farm costs to be able to choose when to jump in, drop the top, and listen to the symphony
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #11
Project Addicted

The advantage with Hagerty and the like is the agreed value. We have our 1966 Porsche with Hagerty and the Turbo Esprit with Grundy who was cheaper for the Espirt than Hagerty for identical coverage.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
The agent with Hagerty I spoke will this AM said with the amount of miles I am driving the car, which is about 2000 to 2400 miles per year Hagerty sees no problem approving the application with the declarations I changed. Things would be different if the mileage were 12k or so per year. She said the application would be approved. I might add, the agreed value on my car is 16k, also there are no deductibles. Looks like I will be saving a couple hundred a year dropping Travelers. Sounds good to me!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

Garage
State farm

Hi I'm an older guy, damn, 69yo
My 2000S is my 3rd car insured and I pay $159/yr on the Box. Classic car less than 5k/yr miles. Accident free!!!!
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #14

Canada has the Hagerty-type offering but it's mileage restricted AND some messed up stipulation about having to be driving to a car show blah blah (if something happens - no joy riding) .... screw that. I just go with a big company and get a break for seasonal (reduced) mileage.

One observation is appraising your vehicle. If you appraise it, then it can be insured for the appraised value (obviously at a higher cost) but it stands to reason that less cars would be written off for dented fenders.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Canada has the Hagerty-type offering but it's mileage restricted AND some messed up stipulation about having to be driving to a car show blah blah (if something happens - no joy riding) .... screw that. I just go with a big company and get a break for seasonal (reduced) mileage.

One observation is appraising your vehicle. If you appraise it, then it can be insured for the appraised value (obviously at a higher cost) but it stands to reason that less cars would be written off for dented fenders.

Hmm...

I'm with Hagerty in Canada and I don't mileage restrictions or stipulations of only driving to a car show (which sounds really odd).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #16

I worry about the limits you guys are citing.

I have a friend who showed me his $1.2 million hospital bill and his $50k medivac helicopter ride. That didn't include a year of post-op recovery.

Could have been several people some insurance company was needing to pay for. And at the insurance limit, they send you the bill. I insure for things I can't cover out of my net-worth. My insurance limits are thus more than a little bit higher.

Now put several cars, some of them high end, into the accident scenario and I figure I need the cost of several high end cars. The Porsche I had super high deductibles on. I could afford another one. But not a Benz and a F-car.

If the auto insurance won't cover those limits, then a personal rider which rides on top of your other insurance (house, personal liability, auto) is a possibility.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #17

Garage
Don't confuse an appraised value with an agreed value. I think Haggerty is agreed value; many other carriers use the appraised value as a cap. You still have to be able to prove your car is worth the appraised value.
And Mikefocke is right - insure what you can't afford to pay for yourself. Umbrella insurance over and above your auto and home policies is relatively inexpensive for another $1M in coverage.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #18

Garage
I pay about $500 per year for my 1967 MGB and the 04 Boxster including additional towing mileage. Very happy with Hagerty thus far. Both are agreed value of 15000.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #19
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I pay about $500 per year for my 1967 MGB and the 04 Boxster including additional towing mileage. Very happy with Hagerty thus far. Both are agreed value of 15000.
If you don't mind, what are you paying just for the Boxster?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Hmm...

I'm with Hagerty in Canada and I don't mileage restrictions or stipulations of only driving to a car show (which sounds really odd).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. Are there any 'gotchas' with their offering, or is it like a 'normal' policy?
I recall a discount offering some 15 years ago (for classic car) that had strange requirements ...