Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Convertible Top Care

I just purchased a 1999 Boxster and the top and plastic window are in pretty good condition. I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible. What should I do to keep the top and window from drying out and the window from turning yellow and cracking?

Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

Window- Plexus. Don't fold when cold.

Top- RaggTopp cleaner and protectant. Never wash with soap. Sticky roller often. Clean up bird bombs and tree sap (don't park under trees with sap) ASAP. The Porsche top protectant is also very good (re-labeld RaggTopp) as is the Aerospace product.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Ragg topp and 303 are both great products for the fabric.
Check some of the results of this search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+ragg+303+top&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Novus and Plexus products are good for the window.

best stuff for clearing up clear vinyl rear window? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

I think that the forum sponsor, Pelican Parts, sells them all.

Note of caution: I had a nearly perfect top on a 1999 and cracked the window on a cool morning. Always wait 'till its warm to move the top.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
To put a number on it, I try to avoid raising/lowering the soft top below 70° F. It is also a good idea to "chop" the top when you close it so that the plastic folds evenly without creases. I also recommend Plexus, and 303 Cleaner. I use Renovo to waterproof the top because I prefer to paint it on, but RaggTop is also a great product.