Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

$59 short shift kit - looking for reviews

In the "bang for the buck" thread a few of you mentioned that you opted for the $59'ish short shift kit. I've been in the market as mine in my MY2000 base model has significant slop in it now so the time has come to go with something aftermarket. I tried to get interest by posting in the WTB area with no avail. So the question is to those who have purchase this kit.. "how happy are you with it"? If you have a B&M good for you, no need to justify why you spent the extra $$. There doesn't seem to be a big visual difference between the two so let's hear from those with this knock-off please thanks

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by Leeper; 04-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

Is there a link to this $59 kit?
3point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

I've got one from forum sponsor Top Speed Pro-1 and it's just fantastic.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Hi Steve.
I was one of the guys posting on the other thread, the recommendation for the Top Speed (AKA 59$) short shifter. I couldn’t see any justification for spending so much more $ over a similar product, that dose the same thing. I assume the other more expensive products are made from superior materials that will last longer. The TS shifter is very well machined, and fits perfectly to the original assembly, and i enjoy it very much. Maybe in 10 years I will replace it
Just to be clear, when I had to replace the water pump, it was important for me to use the original pump (Porsche OEM) with the best gasket available and also replaced all bolts (just to be safe).
So I’m not the cheep dude trying to save a buck on his car, but It doesn’t make any sense (at least to me) to spend so much money, to get so little (if at all) difference.
Another good example is the FabSpeed cat delete pips that goes for 500$ , it is a ridicules price to pay for two pieces of bended pipes. And I don’t care how “high quality” the stainless still is.
I got the ones for 160, and will replace them in 10-15 years if needed which i doubt.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #5

Garage
Got mine from Top Speed aswell. IMO it's a better deal than the B&M shifter; as it's $200 less. I think the only difference between the two shifters is brand name. They are both made out of high quality aluminum, so no fear of anything here.

Now- how happy am I with it? Very! The shift is crisp and well defined; my complaint with the stock shifter was sometimes I didn't know it were fully engaged and it was so long shifting from 4th to 5th. Such problems are eliminated in installing a short shift kit. The aftermarket short shift kit is perfect; my only small complaint is that is moves the stick to the left at a tilt so it looks less OEM but it is more comfortable that way. I suggest you park the car in reverse or 5th gear so the stick is perfectly centered in boot. (Not a flaw- just close to driver)
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Got mine from Top Speed aswell. IMO it's a better deal than the B&M shifter; as it's $200 less. I think the only difference between the two shifters is brand name. They are both made out of high quality aluminum, so no fear of anything here.

Now- how happy am I with it? Very! The shift is crisp and well defined; my complaint with the stock shifter was sometimes I didn't know it were fully engaged and it was so long shifting from 4th to 5th. Such problems are eliminated in installing a short shift kit. The aftermarket short shift kit is perfect; my only small complaint is that is moves the stick to the left at a tilt so it looks less OEM but it is more comfortable that way. I suggest you park the car in reverse or 5th gear so the stick is perfectly centered in boot. (Not a flaw- just close to driver)
there is an easy fix for that. just remove the center bolt, flip the shiftier 180 degrees and put the bolt back.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #7

Garage
There's a lot of double branding that goes on with regard to short shifter kits. In fact, a majority of the top "tuners" that offer them, simply rebadge either a Schnell or a B&M and tack on huge prices . When I first started doing mods to my vehicle, the uber tuner 9FF tried to sell me their short shifter for something like $500. As it turned out, it was nothing more than a Schnell with some "Das Gucci" knob and logo on it .
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
there is an easy fix for that. just remove the center bolt, flip the shiftier 180 degrees and put the bolt back.
I think the short shift kit was purposely designed like that. Also, I don't think it's possible to flip the shift rod 180 degrees on the b&m rods or topspeed. Either way, I actually like the shifter tilted.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

How has the installation been for people? Any DIY with pictures? What's the best brand that's out there? Anything Porsche offers exclusively for the 986?
Kianfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kianfar View Post
How has the installation been for people? Any DIY with pictures? What's the best brand that's out there? Anything Porsche offers exclusively for the 986?
The installation is not hard nor easy, but somewhat time consuming. If you follow directions step by step you should be fine. I, a highschool senior did the installation, therefore I think anyone one this forum is able to.

Instructions:

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/45135.pdf

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) and Replacing Boxster Shift Bushings - 986 / 987

All brands I daresay are the same. Prices however, are not. You can find a short shift kit for $60, and the same one with a logo on it for $250+. Porsche does offer an exclusive OEM kit, and that is $300+.

Hope that helped!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
I think the short shift kit was purposely designed like that. Also, I don't think it's possible to flip the shift rod 180 degrees on the b&m rods or topspeed. Either way, I actually like the shifter tilted.
I flipped mine and no issues in 4 years.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #12

Thanks guys, I went ahead and took the plunge.

For those wondering where it is, here you go...
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If there is a board issue with my posting this I'll take it down or wil rely on admin to do so. Thanks to all those who responded.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #13

I've had the TP shifter in my

car for about 3.5 years now. In the beginning it was very mechanical and "notchy" which I was fine with. The throws were noticeably shorter. It has over the past year gotten really sloppy with alot of side to side movement. I wound up having to rig some plastic shims to fill the gaps in the shift linkage which were causing the wobbling. That helped alot but it seems the part it three fold....some of the slop is in a slight gap between the shift lever and where it mounts to the short shifter base (bolt goes through it)....some of the slop is where the pivot ball mounts inside the square assembly the connects to the shift linkage....and some of the slop is in the shift linkage cable themselves as they can move slightly side to side. FWIW I think personally the B&M is pretty much the same shifter and would not spend the money to purchase one.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #14

I just did mine last weekend. I bought it off ebay for 69 bucks. Looks just like the B & M. I used the pelican parts diagram and it went in no problem.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
02 box s

OK, so which way should the shift lever tilt, towards driver or passenger, to have it centered in the cage while driving?
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #16

Garage
It should be tilted towards the driver. I think you can unscrew the bolts to flip around the metal pole/stick but I prefer it tilted towards me. More comfortable IMO.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #17

just done mine

Bought mine from ebay (Top Speed). It already had the tilt toward the driver (LHD). Installation was a breeze. Took about 2 hours (i'm guessing could be done quicker).

Couple of points (for anyone planning to do it themselves).

Check the type of gear knob you have. Mine was the type you just pull off. It's easier to do when it's still in the car before you remove the bolts that secure the housing. I did mine after and it was a little tricky (had to clamp in a vice).

It's easier to snap the old bushing clips with a screwdriver. The utility knife part is not easy. I have a nice gash in my hand to proove it!

I took it for a quick spin. Amazing difference. Glad I did the upgrade :-)
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #18

Top Speed short shifter. Love it.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #19

I just looked at Top Speeds web site and it appears they don't have theses shifters now. Their Ebay listing shows the same. I did look through Ebay and there are others with these shifters at similar prices. But, I like using vendors recommended by forum members.
These $59 units look like the B&M shifters, so I'm going to order one soon.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
Homeboy981

Garage
Top Speed SSk is the way to go!

I did mine a couple months ago. Got a great price! Installation was simple but time-consuming. Take my word for it:

MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE CABLES BEFORE YOU TAKE THE FACTORY SHIFTER OFF!!

I marked mine in the wrong place so it was like not having it marked. I struggled by having to take everything out, put the cables at 100% rest (or in the middle) and start again. Test it BEFORE you start the car and go. Once you do start the car, engage the car in ALL gears, let clutch out to "biting point" to ensure all gears are good!

It DID TAKE SOME TIME TO GET USED TO "TIGHT" GEARS. So give yourself a week. You will not look back. Even I wondered how I would ever get used to it….now I could not think of getting a Box and NOT ADDING IT, especially for $59!

It DOES IMPROVE your gears shifting times, or times between gears without the engine engaged. In other words, IT IS MUCH QUICKER - LIKE TWICE AS FAST!

Great upgrade….Top Speed's price makes it a no-brainer.

Do it, if you have not already, and you will thank me later.

Think about this too. It is a Shifter Linkage and should be considered a complimentary upgrade to the SSK - didn't say it was FREE! It costs $45 OUCH! PM me if you need the supplier. It takes some of the SLOP out of the shifter cables and ensures the "cheap Factory plastic piece" will not give out when you need it most. It is made of Billet Aluminum and will further "refine" your SSK. It secures tightly around shifter cable.

Most track guys do this mod because a blown shifter CAN RUIN your day! Here's a pic….