Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I took the tabs out a year ago. Leaving it in made it worse. Since removing them the top folds perfectly fine and the clamshell closes better. I cannot see a reason for them but once the small bulge starts the tab just hooks in there and things get progressively worse.
Thanks....maybe I'll just remove them then. LOL.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #22

Thanks for starting this thread Boxaboy. I have a 2003 top on my '01. My top looks pretty good and I would like to keep it that way. I just removed those two pieces. I keep the top down 99 per cent of the time. We'll see if not having them mounted causes any issues.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #23

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Did you guys have any problems with the top not wanting to close? I still have to lift the bottom of the glass a bit for the top to fold down right
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #24

I tried the top manually without those two parts. The top went down way better without them so I reattached the rods. The top goes down way better but the glass still does not want to fold down properly all the time
Old 04-30-2017, 02:25 AM   #25
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Can the tabs be easily reinstalled if needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 AM   #26
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Cool to hear that the top goes down easier. I really never had any problems with the top going down though, and never had to adjust the glass. How did you guys remove the tabs without dropping the tab or the torx screw down below the top? With my luck, it falls down, and I won't be able to find it. LOL. The only thing I can think of that those tabs are for, are to help keep the top ribs from banging against each other when driving (up and down motion) or side to side movement when cornering. You guys that have removed them, please let us know if you end up seeing any metal to metal marks on the rib that has the tab removed or if the top seems like it has play when in the down position. I'm thinking the best solution is to remove the tabs and then cut off the part that sticks out (sanding it smooth), and then reinstalling.

EDIT: A good pal of mine, Maurice (1schoir) who is very knowledgeable about these tops has told me he'll look into it more and let me know, but he recalls that the tabs are there to prevent something from moving behind the rib. Maybe something might inadvertently be caught behind it, catch, and then block the top from going back up? Who knows. Keeping the tab there for now till there's a definitive answer on what those things are for. Can't be there for no reason (besides putting a hole thru the top).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I tried the top manually without those two parts. The top went down way better without them so I reattached the rods. The top goes down way better but the glass still does not want to fold down properly all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Thanks for starting this thread Boxaboy. I have a 2003 top on my '01. My top looks pretty good and I would like to keep it that way. I just removed those two pieces. I keep the top down 99 per cent of the time. We'll see if not having them mounted causes any issues.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-30-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #27

Hey boxtaboy,

Could you ask him if he has ever seen or has any ideas of what would cause the glass to not want to fold down. Show him the video from this thread. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59226-convertible-top-operation.html
Old 04-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #28
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Hey boxtaboy,

Could you ask him if he has ever seen or has any ideas of what would cause the glass to not want to fold down. Show him the video from this thread. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59226-convertible-top-operation.html
Sure, I'll actually ask him to check out this thread and see if he can help. Stay tuned.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Can the tabs be easily reinstalled if needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, a single screw holds them in.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
How did you guys remove the tabs without dropping the tab or the torx screw down below the top? With my luck, it falls down, and I won't be able to find it. LOL.
I don't recall having a problem getting the screw or the tabs out.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #31

Just checked mine. No bumps on the exterior or scuffing on the interior related to the tabs. With the top up, the tabs are not near the fabric on either side. I'll snap some pics when I get a chance. I do have some external scuffing on the top, but not related to this issue.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #32
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Just checked mine. No bumps on the exterior or scuffing on the interior related to the tabs. With the top up, the tabs are not near the fabric on either side. I'll snap some pics when I get a chance. I do have some external scuffing on the top, but not related to this issue.
The bumps on my top disappear after a few hours. The tabs also are not close to the fabric when open, but for some reason, right after I put the top back up after having it down, those bumps appear. Try putting your top down for a few minutes and then up, and see if the bumps are there.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #33
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I get those on mine. Guess I'll be removing them soon.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
The bumps on my top disappear after a few hours. The tabs also are not close to the fabric when open, but for some reason, right after I put the top back up after having it down, those bumps appear. Try putting your top down for a few minutes and then up, and see if the bumps are there.
I'll check it out. Probably will but some Gorilla tape in just to be safe.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #35
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
F_it! I had those annoying bumps appear in the top fabric even after applying the gorilla tape, so I just removed those suckers just now. The tabs are easy to come out with a T20 torx screw, and can be returned if really needed. I see no need though. Removed them, put the top down, drove around to see if I could detect any extra movement in the top, pulled back into my house and put the top back up. No more marks on the roof fabric and I can't see any difference in the way the top works. Done...

Old 05-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #36

I just spoke with Hans, a friend of mine at the Porsche factory. He said that one of Ferdinand Porsche's great grand nephews, Gunter, was responsible for the IMSB in the 986 and 996. Because he was related to Ferdinand they couldn't fire him. So, they moved him to work on the cab tops. Those tabs were his idea. Last Hans heard, Gunter was moved to work on the 2014 GT3 engines. But there was this issue with engine fires. Wonder what Gunter is working on now?

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #37
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I just spoke with Hans, a friend of mine at the Porsche factory. He said that one of Ferdinand Porsche's great grand nephews, Gunter, was responsible for the IMSB in the 986 and 996. Because he was related to Ferdinand they couldn't fire him. So, they moved him to work on the cab tops. Those tabs were his idea. Last Hans heard, Gunter was moved to work on the 2014 GT3 engines. But there was this issue with engine fires. Wonder what Gunter is working on now?
Now that's funny!

Old 05-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #38
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Too funny, Chuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #39

Garage
Applied the tape to both sides. On the driver side it had worn completly through and the passenger side was very worn, almost translucent. I took the tab off the driver side and will monitor operations before doing the other tab.

Glad it wasn't just me.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #40
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Applied the tape to both sides. On the driver side it had worn completly through and the passenger side was very worn, almost translucent. I took the tab off the driver side and will monitor operations before doing the other tab.

Glad it wasn't just me.
I may be wrong, but you might want to consider removing the other tab as well. If you leave one tab there, when the top is folded, the other side may be tilted, and cause something in the frame to not sit right. I'd keep both sides on an even plane. JMHO. You can always return both tabs if you want in the future. Oh, and after removing the tabs, I also removed the tape. There's no reason to have any additional stiffness in the fabric while it's moving up and down, and no longer anything pressing on it.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-02-2017 at 04:10 PM.