Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 04:53 AM   #1

Question Very strange electrical behavior...

I'm brand new to the forum, and would appreciate any help/suggestions regarding a strange occurance I just encountered.

I've got a '98 Boxster. Out of nowhere, I was unable to insert the key into the ignition switch. It looked like the keyhole was blocked. After many tries, it finally went in but when turning the key to the "on" position, it felt like the key was inserted in heavy clay (difficult to turn).

Then the wierd stuff began. The AC fan would not start although the fan gauge indicated it was on. The gague lights fluctuated up and down by themselves but the fan wasn't running. The parking lights worked as well as the high beams, but the low beams wouldn't. Lastly (at least I think), the seatbelt chime continued to ring, even without the key in the ignition and no one was sitting in the seats.

Anyone experience this "poltergeist"-type behavior?

Thanks in advance.

BrettMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #2

Brett, do a forum thread search on "ignition switch". You have a faulty one like I did and many other Boxster owners and it's freaky, but not expensive to repair as long as you stay away from the stealership!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #3

Thanks, Randall, for the quick reply...

Would I be safe in assuming that the difficulty in inserting the key into the lock was due to the switch problem and not related to the tumblers? I'd like to sound credible when I take it to my version of your Hans (not to mention not getting ripped for new keys)...

By the way, your Boxster page is great!

Thanks, again...
BrettMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:05 AM   #4

Your tumblers are fine. It's the plastic bit at the back of where the key goes in that has fallen apart. You will not need a new lock assembly, a new key or anything like that.
The part is under $30 and is used in Audi's and VW's as well. Ebay sells them as well as these car companies' parts counters, although probably more expensive. Porsche doesn't sell it alone any longer. They want to replace the whole assembly for big bucks.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #5

Heres the link where I bought mine. I recieved it the next day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Porsche-Carrerra-996-Boxster-911-Ignition-Switch-OE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQihZ016QQitemZ 260003222403

Great company.