Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #21

Never locked mine, would go to local Walmart where the parking lot is often used for not so legal activities and leave the top down while I shopped. My attitude has always been if you really want this unusual car, take it, Just don't screw it up by breaking in and looking for something valuable in it that isn't there.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #22

I never leave my top down while shopping or if I'm parked for too long. For one the leather would get pretty hot in the summer. Most of all knowing my luck a bird would crap inside my car. I'm so worried about that haha
Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #23

Anyway I have a 1999 and love it so much! Just like you I was surprised by the handling and I'm on worn out stock suspension. I really can't wait for when I do suspension upgrades in the future. Definitely watch out for cops though! Got my first ticket last month for 84 in a 55 and that's after the cop cut me a break. Have fun!
Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Yes...

...Mike's right. NEVER lock a convertible. Better they open her up and see for themselves there is nothing to steal, then for them to take out their pocket knife and cut your $4,000 top.

Also, the cars that get stolen, usually get stolen for parts. Those cars are the ones that need lots of replacement parts for body shops in large numbers. So the top ten stolen cars every year are full size pickups, Camrys, Accords, etc.

The next level of theft of cars is for joy rides, then exotics that are just worth a lot because of what they are.

Soooooo, if you own a 20 year old, stick-shift, Boxster.....NOBODY will steal her. She wasn't built in large enough numbers to make body shops need their fenders, she's not exotic enough for car nuts to steal, and 80% of the population can't drive a manual transmission in the USA today, so that cuts out most of the joy ride theft crowd.

Don't worry, be happy.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote