Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Immobilized - Radio Swap

Good Evening,
I bought a 2001 Boxster a few months ago and despite an early trip to the mechanic to deal with a coolant issue, it has been a gem. I drive it daily and have had no issues, but I did want to upgrade the radio to something other than a 15 year old CD player.

I went through crutchfields, got a nice unit and the appropriate wiring harness, did the install and happiness ensued. Unfortunately, while testing the new unit to make sure everything worked before I finished mounting it, I am pretty sure I left the key in the ignition without cranking it. Now my car is immobilized, and I cannot seem to get it to crank. All of the lights turn on, power is still getting to everything, radio runs fine. I tried jumping it and allowing the battery to charge just in case, but no joy. The car does not even try to turn over.

The only "fix" I have found was to take it to the dealer. I tried putting the key in the 0 position, but no joy. I feel like there is an easier way to reset the alarm, and I am also pretty annoyed that this is a "feature". Leaving the key in the ignition should not break my car. Can anyone shed some light or tell me what I am missing?

Thanks.

Coldbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Leaving the key in the ignition won't do that. Are you pushing the clutch pedal all the way in?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 AM   #3

Garage
Which radio did you end up buying? Did you solve the issue?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.
From what I understand, leaving the key in the ignition for over two minutes will trigger the alarm immobilizer. I may be incorrect, but it is what I have read on the forums. Yes, the clutch is completely engaged, but good call. I have had the floor mat block it before and it would not start till I moved it.

The car locks, unlocks, all electronics are working. etc..
I found the security wire for the old radio, I am assuming I need to either disable it or run a loop-back on it so that it does not think the radio is stolen.

If it turns out not to be the immobilizer, I am assuming that there is a chance one of the fuses blew during the install. But I would like to rule out the immobilizer, if it is an easy fix, before I start troubleshooting the electrical system. Despite what the manual says about simply inserting the key back to 0 and trying to crank again, from what I am reading there sometimes needs to be a series of actions to unlock the immobilizer (i.e. all the windows up, top up, unlock the car with the remote, lock the car, unlock again, and then it unlocks).

I bought a Pioneer MVH-X580BS, but sadly no, still working on the issue.

Last edited by Coldbourne; 03-23-2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: addition
Coldbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Owner

Just FYI I left my security cable disconnected after I installed new radio couple weeks ago and no issues.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbourne View Post
... From what I understand, leaving the key in the ignition for over two minutes will trigger the alarm immobilizer. I may be incorrect, but it is what I have read on the forums. ...
What forums are you reading? I've never seen this stated here, never heard that about our 986s. Give me a link, I'd like to see what you are talking about.
I'm guessing a fuse, or relay is your issue. Back up and start troubleshooting from the beginning without the assumption that its the immobilizer ***unless you have some sort of aftermarket alarm system hidden in there somewhere.***
Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Just make sure the disconnected cable is insulated so it cannot ground itself causing the alarm to activate.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Boxster 2001

No Problems

I have just changed the stereo head unit in our Boxster 2001 2.7 manual. I left the key in the ignition for at least 15 minutes and didn't experience any problems. I have had keys fail thought. The key is made up of three parts blade, remote control to operate doors/alarm and immobilizer tag. I would guess the electronics to communicate with the key fob when the key is in the ignition must be below the steering column. Maybe you have disturbed this wiring in fitting the stereo. have you tried the spare key?
I hope this helps.
Regards
Paul
pachinnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

New Radio

I recently replaced my radio with a Kenwood KMM BT518HD, also from Crutchfield. Also left the ignition key in, but not turned on. Key was in off position, and I pulled it out, and re-inserted it, but did turn it on, just to check it worked, and have had no issues. The only problem I have had and still do, is I grounded the alarm wire, and it now beeps when I push the lock button. I grounded the wire to the negative on the radio, which is connected to the battery negative.
Davimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Just make sure the disconnected cable is insulated so it cannot ground itself causing the alarm to activate.
You need to insulate it.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

Paul,

Thanks so much. Now works perfectly!!

Thanks for your help.

Davimack
Davimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbourne View Post
. . . From what I understand, leaving the key in the ignition for over two minutes will trigger the alarm immobilizer. I may be incorrect, but it is what I have read on the forums. . .
I've never experienced this after leaving my key in the ignition and I've never seen this mentioned in the forums. Can you provide some links? I'd like to check out those comments. Thanks in advance.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:55 AM   #13

I've left my key in the ignition overnight without any issues.
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:19 AM   #14

I'm starting to panic, Took radio out now wont start

2002 porsche boxster. Put a brand new battery in it 3 days ago and drove it home from winter storage with zero problems. While in my driveway I decided to take out the aftermarket kenwood and amp setup the last person put in. This is the story.

First, as i pulled the deck out the wires were coming untaped. Nothing was done right. He cut the original harness so i'm blind as to what is what. But i can always work on finding diagrams online.

Once the deck was out I went to start the car to go buy more supplies and all that happens is the dash lights all come on. The fan works. BUT the windows will not go down and the hood trunk latches don't work. It's dead. After hours of searching and reading about this "radio immobolizer wire" i gave up and decided to take out the computer from under seat. (it was removed by a repair guy over winter) It came out really easily so i figured he just didnt put the two connectors in tight.

I re installed the computer and the car started perfectly. I turned car off. Bolted down the seat. Got in and BAM back to dead again. Now i'm out of ideas.

Please help.
Why did taking out the immobolizer and reinstalling it in 15 minutes or so matter
I never moved one stereo dash wire during this period to cause any problems.

It has to be something silly if it started once

I have pics of stereo wiring mess I can show people. If someone knows of the radio immobolizer wire colour and can tell me if it requires power or something please let me know.
bigmac_4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #15

Not sure of the color but mine had a spade connector on it, the rest of the factory harness in factory connectors. Make sure its disconnected from the radio chassis and insulated.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Not sure of the color but mine had a spade connector on it, the rest of the factory harness in factory connectors. Make sure its disconnected from the radio chassis and insulated.

Right now I'm fairly certain it's disconnected. But since buddy cut all the Porsche factory plugs off its a mess. Some people are saying the wire needs to be attached to the after market wiring and some are saying just tape the end. I just don't get how taking out a after market deck kills the car. Then unhooking computer for 5 minutes repairs it long enough to start once but then not again.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac_4000 View Post
Right now I'm fairly certain it's disconnected. But since buddy cut all the Porsche factory plugs off its a mess. Some people are saying the wire needs to be attached to the after market wiring and some are saying just tape the end. I just don't get how taking out a after market deck kills the car. Then unhooking computer for 5 minutes repairs it long enough to start once but then not again.
Well I think on CAI website is where i saw installation instruction says to disconnect the alarm wire and tape it up. If i remember correctly the reason is if the wire grounds out it makes the immobilizer think the radio was stolen.

https://cai-store.com/pages/996-and-boxster-single-din-radio-instructions
Old 05-05-2019, 05:15 AM   #18

So I have been lost for days. No trunk control no power windows and of course just dash lights no start.**** This morning bored I sat in car to cry and I decided to hit hood latch and it worked.**** First time in a week. So I tried starting it. Also worked. Now I don't want to turn it off.**** But what would cause anti theft immobilizer to shut down features on Saturday but work Sunday. Now I'm really lost.****
Old 05-05-2019, 06:58 AM   #19

Quick update
So I drove the car for about hour around town but never shut it off. I'm sitting in a parking lot with car on. I cannot put up windows or open trunk / hood. It's gone back in immobilizer mode while car is on. The odd thing is the hood / trunk dash light is on. That's what gave me a sign there was a problem. So even with car running it will immobilize itself. Hopefully I can get home.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #20
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Check to see if you have wet carpet under the driver's seat.