Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #21

Simply put, sports car enthusiasts would never cross-shop a Miata and a Boxster, just like supercar buyers won’t cross-shop a 2016 Ferrari 488 GTB and a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Different strokes for different folks.

2016 Mazda Miata VS 2015 Porsche Boxster | car News @ Top Speed

Comparing some slightly newer models....

Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #22

We have 2 Miatas in the family along with my Boxster. I barely fit but they are fun to drive. I took my stepdaughter to a big parking lot and we did some braking exercises (no abs) and how to steer when braking, and then I took it for a few donuts, it was easy to catch and drive through a slide, it was a lot of fun

I still like the Boxster better though ...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #23

Garage
After 10 years driving Miata I bought my first Boxster 2 weeks ago. I'm still evaluating the differences but most noticeable is the power increase. I the car feels way more stable and solid. The feeling of speed is less, I find myself near 100 going up a freeway ramp feeling surprised how smooth the ride is. I haven't tested any limits in corners but it has great steering feel and so steady. I'd like find a wet parking lot to see what happens. The sound of the flat six it addicting.
Gjohn3707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #24

I've changed my mind since yesterday. If I wasn't such in the hole financially with my S I would seriously consider selling and buying another miata. The boxster is far superior but the accountant in me says the miata just makes so much more sense. Cost of entry is less, parts are less, simplicity is better, light and nimble. I find working on the boxster to be daunting because one bad move and your easily in for another $100. A friend scratches it, a kids bike wacks it, reAlly not a big deal.
Yes The S has way more power but is that really that important for a street car? You can't really use that unless you want a ticket or worse yet, to cause an accident. I
I drove this miata 10 years ago, maybe I should have bought it then. Sure Felt like that on Saturday.
I was talking to my friend about the confusion. His response," a miata for a Porsche, really?"
He's probably right. I likely just have new car fever. We will see how I feel in a month.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
Racer Boy

Well, you can compare the two cars. They are both small convertible sports cars. They are in different market segments, but you can compare them all you want. When I owned a Miata, I drove a co-worker's Honda S2000, and I compared the two cars. It' s just what people do.

No doubt the Boxster is a more expensive car, built to a higher standard and quality of materials, but for the price difference, it should be. For a daily driver, the Boxster is better, because it has slightly more room for taller drivers, is way more serene on the highway, and has more luggage space.

The advantage of the Miata is it is more fun to drive. Sure it's slower in a straight line, but as far as handling goes, the Mazda is just more responsive and direct, so for a lot of drivers, that makes it fun.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mazda is better engineered, We all love our flat-sixes and the wonderful noises they make, but the Miata in comparison is bullet-proof. I can take a stock Miata, put R-compound tires on it, and thrash it for years at track days without worrying too much about it huffing the engine. The Boxster? No way. I bought my Boxster to do track days with, and I run street tires on it because I know that higher g-loads will starve the bearings of oil pressure. Not to mention the other number of things that are known for failing on these cars. It's always in the back of my mind.

Finally, one of my best friends has a bunch of cars. He has a Ferrari 355, a new Corvette Z06, a 986 S, an older 911, and a 914. He says the 914 is the most fun to drive of these cars. But he has owned and raced quite a few Miata's over the years, and he says that a Miata is more fun to drive than of any of his current cars!

Last edited by Racer Boy; 03-23-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
"the first-generation model seemed to a smaller, cartoonish version of the 911 Convertible"

Another reason to feel inadequate as a Boxster owner. As if it wasn't bad enough already knowing I was driving a hairdresser's car...
Old 03-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Simply put, sports car enthusiasts would never cross-shop a Miata and a Boxster, just like supercar buyers won’t cross-shop a 2016 Ferrari 488 GTB and a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Different strokes for different folks.
not always the case. I was looking at NC Miata's. Drove several, liked them fine just hadn't found the right one. Saw the Boxster I ended up buying on CL, went and drove it. My wife told me forget the Miata, buy the Porsche. Looked at several other Boxsters and a couple of Miatas. After reading about weaknesses of Boxsters, I went into it eyes wide open. I do my own work and nothing about Boxster really concerns me with exception of IMSB replacement. I'll pay to have that done.

Thus far, I have absolutely no regrets choosing Boxster over Miata. For the price, I was looking at a high mile early NC Miata (older ones are too little for me). Miata is more of a go kart but it's my daily driver, Porsche is more comfortable.
Random other motorized vehicles
sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #28

Interestingly similar to my situation so I have to ask- why didn't you buy a Z4 ? I am asking myself that same question !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbyte View Post
not always the case. I was looking at NC Miata's. Drove several, liked them fine just hadn't found the right one. Saw the Boxster I ended up buying on CL, went and drove it. My wife told me forget the Miata, buy the Porsche. Looked at several other Boxsters and a couple of Miatas. After reading about weaknesses of Boxsters, I went into it eyes wide open. I do my own work and nothing about Boxster really concerns me with exception of IMSB replacement. I'll pay to have that done.

Thus far, I have absolutely no regrets choosing Boxster over Miata. For the price, I was looking at a high mile early NC Miata (older ones are too little for me). Miata is more of a go kart but it's my daily driver, Porsche is more comfortable.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Interestingly similar to my situation so I have to ask- why didn't you buy a Z4 ? I am asking myself that same question !
Probably because mid-engine trumps front engine? Plus more luggage room? And of course, it's a Porsche, whereas the Z4 is but a BMW. BMW's are a dime a dozen.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Probably because mid-engine trumps front engine? Plus more luggage room? And of course, it's a Porsche, whereas the Z4 is but a BMW. BMW's are a dime a dozen.
I daily drove a Boxster S for 4 years -- can't imagine doing that in a Miata.

On track, I have a lot of respect for a well driven Miata.

That being said, I now have a full weight 105K mile Boxster S with roughly a Spec Boxster suspension, I can keep up with a gutted well driven SpecMiata on a Miata friendly track (H2R) and leave the SpecMiatas behind at a track like CoTA.
My lap times in my Boxster S as is, is slightly slower then a SpecBoxster (driven well).

If I stripped the weight out of my Boxster S, even at H2R the SpecMiata would not stand much of a chance.

Cost to enter the used Boxster market is cheap (maybe comparable) -- the cost to maintain is not.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #31

I have been to sam's club and costco plenty of times when I was in NC and loaded up both trunks. Either trunk is bigger than the Miata rear trunk, the boxster has a surprising amount of room
Old 03-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #32

Garage
Mostly this. I wanted a "sports car". Z4 didn't fit the bill for many reasons.

I have a 944 race car. Spec Miatas can run circles around me. I have a tremendous amount of respect for them. One of the things that intrigued me with Miatas is the simplicity and availability of performance parts. Not finding that with the Boxster.

Quote:
Random other motorized vehicles
sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #33

I get passed by spec miatas, but rarely by non-caged and non-race prepped miatas. A few months ago I caught a Miata as part of a train, and once we got around the train he didn't point me by on the straight. I followed him.through the back side of the course, then no point. Then after 1 more lap I got the point by and passed. Afterwards he came and found me and apologized, he said he was sure that he would leave me in the curves where he usually leaves the higher power cars Then we had a few chuckles about how much fun it is to pass newer 991s and more powerful cars
Old 03-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #34

Depends on what gen Miata you're comparing. Someone mentioned mechanical grip and to me the ND version of the Miata is a big step up in this regard from prior gens. Regardless, if you're looking ND to Boxster then stock to stock it's ultimately Boxster.

Boxster strengths are a brake pedal that feels like it channels Thor's hammer or something similarly magical, and more torque to pull you out on corner exit. This being said though I've driven a spec Miata and I was modulating the brake pedal through the sole of my shoe with my big toe, so there's a delicate precision that the Miata is capable of that isn't present in the Boxster.

Miata is under tire'd and under torque'd.

Modified Miata; NC with some engine and suspension and tire width to stock Boxster (the Miata would still come out cheaper to build and maintain) the Miata will dominate.

But looking down at the Porsche logo on your horn pad though counts for something that's not quantifiable.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I drove a Z3 & Z4 before buying my Boxster, I do not like the straight 6 cyl. engine, (also drove a 99 M3 & 02 330i conv.) power is good, but the sound is boring like an industrial engine. You sit too low in the Z cars & I didn't like the interior either.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #36

Agreed . The sinking in the bathtub feeling in the Z4 was awful and I am tall. No such problem in my XKE. The SLK 350 was a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I drove a Z3 & Z4 before buying my Boxster, I do not like the straight 6 cyl. engine, (also drove a 99 M3 & 02 330i conv.) power is good, but the sound is boring like an industrial engine. You sit too low in the Z cars & I didn't like the interior either.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I am actually thinking about buying a Miata for a track car.
They are much much less expensive to build and fix. A Miata motor can be had for under $1k. I know several guys running Miatas for the track and several have dropped superchargers or Toyata/Honda motors and are in the low mid 200's for HP. That HP with the lower weight will out run a Boxster at the track.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Boxster, but I can build a Miata track car for under $10k and when it breaks, I don't have to get a 2nd mortage
There's no question which I'd have if I wanted a track day car: Miata.

Miata's are stupid simple to work on, there are a TON of reasonably affordable parts available, the drivetrain is basically bulletproof for track work (only needing a coolant reroute kit for really extreme duty), and as stated they have a better suspension design.

No way would I track a car with an M96 unless it was built by LN engineering with an iron-clad solution for each problem that the M96 presents, many of which are amplified by extreme duty and high G's. And then I'm $15k+ into a car that still needs $$$ in upgrades (suspension, brakes, cooling system, seats, roll bar, etc).

Last edited by Nmbrsix; 03-25-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #38
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The problem with the Miata is that it's a Miata.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The problem with the Miata is that it's a Miata.
Really? I think everything about the older ones are cool. ( never driven a newer than 2001). Interesting body. Very responsive from the wheel. Pure sports car. The simplicity and dependability is fantastic. Nothing hidden under stupid plastic pieces. It's all right there to work on.
Also, can't be that bad. They have a huge following via forums as well Tons of track and x cross use.
Lastly, I wouldn't change a thing about them. A real fun sports car that most people can afford. Oh the horror! 😱 . Yes not a boxster but still has tons to offer for a lot less money. Not a bad thing anyway you slice it.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #40
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes. Really.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah track blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah track blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah track blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Track it all you want. It's still a Miata. No self-respecting 6' tall man would dare be seen in public hunched over behind the wheel of one. Have you ever seen one of those guys? It's awful. Looks like some sort of clown car.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote