Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Airbag ground connectors?

I feel comfortable working on my car but when it involves any of the electrical stuff I am completely lost..

Background: My car has been back on the road for three days after a five months hiatus that required a gearbox repair, overhauling the coil overs and also fixing a pesky oil leak from the bank one cam cover (so far no more leaks, knock on wood..).

After putting the car together I got an airbag red warning light on the dash, and according to the Durametric the P/N 997.618.218.08 (Airbag Module) is either internally shorted out or has a faulty ground connection. (I was not able to turn this warning light off)

For the various repairs mentioned above, I didn’t touched anything related to the steering wheel, but I did lowered the engine about 8” for the valve cover to clear the frame.. but remember being careful not to pull any connectors.

Does someone knows where can I check the ground connections for the airbag before ordering a pretty expensive part?

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

If memory serves, the air bag module grounds through the wiring harness as well as the module chassis itself. A good wiring diagram would be essential. You didn't say what year the car is, but most years the module is located in the area beneath the radio in the center console. You need to be extremely careful working on this module and its wiring as even static can get you a face full of airbag.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If memory serves, the air bag module grounds through the wiring harness as well as the module chassis itself. A good wiring diagram would be essential. You didn't say what year the car is, but most years the module is located in the area beneath the radio in the center console. You need to be extremely careful working on this module and its wiring as even static can get you a face full of airbag.
Thanks JPF, the car is a '07 CS

If I 'remember correctly' the only ground I disconnected was a thick black cable from the frame to the bank 1 cam covet.

However, that was around Oct-Nov and sometimes I have a hard time remembering the details of the completion two weeks ago.. :-(

But before I dig into the console (as that section) was not related to the repairs, I should check for a loose connector around the driver's side engine compartment..

I am not sure if I have the wiring diagram on the 'shop manual' something else to check.

Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote