Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Garage
Factory CD changer question

Hi everyone! Just bought my first Boxster last week! It's a 1998 2.5L model. It's beautifully 100% original. Which also means it has the original trunk based CD changer. While I love that it's all original, I'll have to admit, the 1990's era stereo technology seems a little bit... clunky... by today's standards.

It took me a while to figure out how to load the changer, but I'm pretty sure I've done it right. However, only the first disc will play. When I press one of the numbers on the stereo to switch discs, it says there are no other discs to play. I tried reloading the changer with different CDs, and had the same results. First disc works fine, none of the others are recognized.

Any ideas what might be going on here? Is this a common problem? Is it possible I've just loaded the changer wrong? (I made sure to put the label side down on all of them).

Thanks for any suggestions!

patrick_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

Garage
Miraculous healing?

So, an interesting thing happened. The factory CD changer just started magically working as if nothing wrong had ever happened. After not working at all the first few days of ownership, it suddenly started to let me change discs. At first it was skipping a lot when it played discs 2 - 6. Now it plays them all fine. And I literally did nothing with it.

Is this normal? Or do all Porsches have the ability to magically heal themselves? ;-) Anyway, glad to have a working factory CD changer, even if it is awkward to use.
patrick_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Can't speak to the CD changer, but when I had my 986 - the in car CD player sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Sometimes the whole radio simply stopped working...and then started again for no apparent reason. Never could figure it out till one day I noticed it hadn't not worked for quite some time.

So to answer your question - Yes. Yes the stereo does have the ability to magically heal itself.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
M31

Garage
That would be great if all Porsches had the ability to heal themselves then we wouldn't have that little IMS issue!
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

I have found that allot of issues come from the tape door (the face of the radio), I bet you forgot about the cassette player . Sometimes you need to "schließen Sie es fest" (close it firmly) to get things back on track (pardon the pun)

brybart is offline   Reply With Quote