Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 AM   #1

Basic Maintenance

What kind of air filter do you suggest friends? Original, mann or other?...

I've eared that the 986 S doesen't have a fuel filter (to change), did you know something about it? It's correct?
If so in a basic manteinance about filters i've to change "only" air, cabin and oil filter?
Thank you in advance
A.

Boxter 986 S Year: 1999
alcubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcubot View Post

I've eared that the 986 S doesen't have a fuel filter (to change), did you know something about it? It's correct?
If so in a basic manteinance about filters i've to change "only" air, cabin and oil filter?
Thank you in advance
A.
The fuel filter thing is model year specific. Earlier cars like my 2000 have an inline filter in the centre tunnel under the car that is part of the maintenance schedule.
Later models have a permanent filter in the fuel tank.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcubot View Post

Thank you in advance
A.
We use Wix/NAPA Gold for all filters; better made and finer filtration than factory or Mann.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
The fuel filter thing is model year specific. Earlier cars like my 2000 have an inline filter in the centre tunnel under the car that is part of the maintenance schedule.
Later models have a permanent filter in the fuel tank.
How can I understand if mine (october 1999 - 986 S) has inline filter in the centre tunnel or a permanent filter in the fuel tank...
Thank you in advance

Boxter 986 S Year: 1999
alcubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Yours is under the car. You will need to pull the covers off before you will be able to see it. Be careful jacking the car up and only use good jack stands to hold the car up. If you are going to work on the car yourself, I would suggest that you buy a copy of the Bentley Manual for Boxsters 1997-2004. I have found it very helpful.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We use Wix/NAPA Gold for all filters; better made and finer filtration than factory or Mann.
This all I use in all our automobiles
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #7

My 2001 S has an inline fuel filter located about in the middle of the car. I changed mine this summer. They changed things in 2002 to a "permanent" one inside the gas tank.

The procedure for the early one is detailed in the 101 Projects book, or you can find it on the Pelican website here:

Porsche Boxster Fuel Filter Replacement | 986 / 987 (1997-08) | Pelican Parts Technical Article

Be careful when removing the old filter - it's quite large and holds a lot of fuel. Be sure to have something ready to catch the fuel. More will pour out as you remove it (you have to tilt it vertically to get it out...

Also be careful how you have the car jacked up. I jacked my car up and then set it down on tall ramps (too tall to drive onto). I trust ramps more than I trust jacks or jack stands. And chock the front wheels. You'll be under there for a while, so make sure the car can't fall on you.

Last edited by BirdDog; 02-18-2017 at 07:52 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote