Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #1

AOS or PCV?

2.5L 1998 Base 986. Almost no options.

Car has 35k mi. Entire engine was replaced by Porsche under warranty (10k ago, 10 years ago) with a crate engine (which I assume had a new AOS).

Recently, I noticed several drops of oil on the floor after every drive. I took both engine covers off and noticed seepage from the PCV dripping onto the cam cover.

After scouring the internets and this forum during insomniac early morning hours, my thoughts were that the problem was with a faulty AOS. I have no AOS symptoms: always code free (Durametric), no exhaust smoke, stable idle, and oil cap not hard to take off. No drivability issues.

Prior to arrival, I preemptively asked the dealer to order an AOS for me. Dealer did. The Dealer Porsche tech inspected the car and said the AOS was fine and said that the leak was coming from the PCV. He wants to replace the PCV (crankcase purge valve). I'm not entirely sure about this assessment that just the PCV has failed. Hence my question to the collective knowledge of the forum. Car is at the dealer waiting for a new PCV to arrive.

My question to the forum is: if the PCV is spitting out oil, then is it doing it's job? Is this a mode of failure of the AOS or just a bad PCV as the Porsche tech says?

Many thanks in advance!

All the best..

Last edited by b55er; 02-06-2017 at 07:04 PM.
b55er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #2

The valve should not be leaking.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #3

Many thanks JPF for your fast reply and expert opinion! Dealer should have a replacement on the car by end of today.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

Update:
PCV replaced by dealer. One hour labor, $35 part. Dealer cleaned the area with degreaser. Dealer gave me 10% PCA discount. I thought the total after discount was fair. Gave me a 2016 Cayanne to drive around in :-)

After the dealer nickpick free inspection, the ONLY thing they recommended were wiper blades. It's raining cats and dogs here, I didn't think the wipers were bad. Original Porsche wiper blades were, five years old, always garaged, rarely driven in rain.

Ordered a new Porsche set from forum owner Pelican last night.

Last edited by b55er; 02-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.