Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I was wondering if the major difference in those profile shots (aside from perspective) was that yours was a center-line cross section. No display of fender contours?
When you do a 'clean' profile flow analysis the meshing wipes out the solid body basically (the whole car gets sliced!). All is left is the layer you want to analise (aka a sheet). Now, I took the center line of the car for forum entertainment purposes but you can actually slice this with nano size precision where ever you want in X,Y,Z directions. I couldn't upload them all so took the center line of the flow (generic). So that is why the fenders are a tad weak looking.

The black hole in the middle is then filled up manually with the boxster outline using Photoshop. That is for Markus and Al' to enjoy a representation of the car (well, he didn't LOL). Just more pleasant to look at than a "black hole".

Old 02-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #82

If you don't slice up your plot, this is basically what it looks like. The car is in there somewhere that Virtual Wind Tunnel box. Can output billions of layers with that thing but normally the center line is pretty accurate and sufficient for presentation purposes.

Hope you understand a bit better now. All very geaky huh

(but fun stuff, scout promise lol)

Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #83
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

That one reminds me of an old Volvo.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #84

And cool wallpapers are made by manually 'seeding' the wind tunnel with lines. As many as you want, where ever you want them to flow (hood, fenders, under the car, whatever).

Represents the traditional 'Smoke' flow lines if you prefer.

There you go! You guys know how to do this stuff! Very very easy (not lolll)

Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78f350 View Post
that one reminds me of an old volvo.
lolololololol :d :d
Old 02-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
That one reminds me of an old Volvo.

Regards, Markus

@Nine8six: seems all pretty easy – if you compare it with a tourbillon wrist watch.

I would say the 996 (cw: 0,27/cwa: 0,54) is better than a 2003 986 S (cw: 0,32/cwa; 0,617)

But i think Dr. Yang Proshche has better measurement methods than me. So let's see what will happen.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #87

This has gotten all way over my head. Can we get back to the important (to me) part? Since links from other vendors are now blocked on this forum, how can I find out where to put my order in for one of the T shirts? At our HPDE's most of the time we need to wear long sleeve T shirts so I'd like to get one of these in long sleeves if it can be ordered.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #88
On the slippery slope

Garage
If blipshift accepts the shirt, I'll post a link here. Blipshift only sells a design for a few days
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
This has gotten all way over my head. Can we get back to the important (to me) part? Since links from other vendors are now blocked on this forum, how can I find out where to put my order in for one of the T shirts? At our HPDE's most of the time we need to wear long sleeve T shirts so I'd like to get one of these in long sleeves if it can be ordered.
If impatient, I've made this for fun and it came out pretty nicely. They also have hoodies which I'm thinking of getting if Jay's deal does not work out. Can be grabbed at:

https://www.customink.com/designs/cfdp986/vkg0-00aw-vmbb/share?pc=EMAIL-40778&utm_campaign=shared%20design&utm_source=share%20link&utm_medium=shared%20design&utm_content=shared%20desktop

No idea RE quality of the fabric however, based on luck. Unless any of you guys know please let us know.

EDIT: Use below visual to make your own t-shirt. [/B]I've modified the layout a little (click below to dwload HD version):

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #90

Long sleeves

$30 FREE Shipping

Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #91

Damn, when will you guys learn how to spell Procshe correctly?

Also think of alternative fonts. That's very popular - like alternative news - great!

Regards, Markus
Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #92

I've got you covered Markus, I can make you a decal:

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Damn, when will you guys learn how to spell Procshe correctly?

Also think of alternative fonts. That's very popular - like alternative news - great!

Regards, Markus
Tatoo'ed and all :b

Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #94

love it. a guy posts some really interesting aerodynamic analysis and all we see are pretty colours and want to make tshirts. viva the internet.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #95

I've seen Miata guys pick up seconds at AutoX with 6-8" ducktails.
Would something like Joe's BIG ducktail have a similar impact on the 986?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
love it. a guy posts some really interesting aerodynamic analysis and all we see are pretty colours and want to make tshirts. viva the internet.
I'll make sure it won't happen again I'll link you up

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-09-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
I've seen Miata guys pick up seconds at AutoX with 6-8" ducktails.
Would something like Joe's BIG ducktail have a similar impact on the 986?
100% it will. If you want to see, by all means chase him up and ask him permission and I'll run this for him. He actually does amazing work this guy
Old 02-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #98

Man, you're wrong. It's so amazing. Great people. Just amazing. Beautiful. Yes, it's great what you've done. But i'm so sorry - it's not Prosche. Just call it Procshe.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-09-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #99

Very cool thread!

I even I registered for the forum because of it, and I don’t even hava a 986 (yet).

If I may ask a silly question, is it correct that the software – or at least the 986 model, doesn’t take into account the air passing through the radiators, nor what happens in the wheel wells when the wheels are turning?

And in addition to showing what the air is doing, can your software estimate the drag or drag coefficient? And the lift over each axle? It would be quite interesting to see how close that is to reported figures. (Since lift figures are usually at 200 kmph, it would help to do it at that speed, though one can make a pretty good estimate based on the lift at 180.)

I’m sure someone on the forum can tell you the reported figures for the 986. I can at least tell you them for the 996.2: 24 kg of lift at the front, 6 at the rear. And yes, it would be great if you could put that nice 996 you showed in an earlier post into your virtual wind tunnel!

Please also add me to the list of people who’d love to see what a duck tail does. I’m interested in putting an immitation of the 997 Sport Classic on my car (a 996.2), and it’s one of the great mysteries of the Porsche forum universe what effect they have, if any.

Thanks!
rs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Man, you're wrong. It's so amazing. Great people. Just amazing. Beautiful. Yes, it's great what you've done. But i'm so sorry - it's not Prosche. Just call it Procshe.

Regards, Markus
What a sad twat... there some air speed downforce, pumpkin