Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 AM   #1

Starting Procedure

I have a 2001S that the PO mentioned a process for starting that includes turning on the ignition, letting the oil display dance around a bit then once it stops you can start the car - but you shouldn't wait too long as that could put the computer into some sort of diagnostic mode .... I can't find any reference to this process so yes, I'm asking:

How do you start a 2001 Boxster S?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 AM   #2

Garage
I have the exact same car (mine Orient Red colour) and there is no process for starting your car like that. Start your car like any other car - clutch in, turn key, let idle for 90 secs and then drive it !!!
Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #3

Great. I just wanted to make sure I'm not 'breaking' anything
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:01 AM   #4

I normally wait for the oil level to display if the countdown is only a few seconds, but you don't have to. If you wait too long between turning on and starting it (it's about 60 seconds on mine, but a manual I saw for a later one said 90 I think) the ECU will prevent the engine starting, you then just need to turn the key back to off and start it again.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
I normally wait for the oil level to display if the countdown is only a few seconds, but you don't have to. If you wait too long between turning on and starting it (it's about 60 seconds on mine, but a manual I saw for a later one said 90 I think) the ECU will prevent the engine starting, you then just need to turn the key back to off and start it again.
Okay, that must be what he was referring to. Noted!

With the dry oil sump, I was considering that it may need that time (30 secs or so) to pump the oil for starting.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #6

Garage
Not sure it's a dry oil sump, Oil is sitting in the sum waiting to be disturbed at start. Oil pump runs when engine runs. I wish we could pre-pump oil before starting. Would quite things down at startup.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 AM   #7

Garage
During the Spring after my Box has been sitting still for months, the procedure I use is roll the Box out of my garage, key off. I have a slight down hill on my drive way as the Box is rolling and in 5th gear I let the clutch out to pump oil in the cylinders. Then I start it. Subsequent to that I just turn the key and wait a few seconds and start the Box during the Summer/Fall.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #8

After 30 seconds the electronic throttle will do an "adaptation". But it will stop when you go to start it.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

I think what the P O didn't really explain was that the procedure mentioned was a habit being followed so that the oil level was always checked before starting. Great when the engine has not been run in a long enough time so that the check time is short. Don't bother to check the oil level shortly after having run the engine since the wait time for oil to drain back down is not worth the wait.
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #10

I wonder if The PO means "Initialization" - after the battery has been disconnected on EGas engines.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote