Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

more fun with the newbie

you have to understand i have a very curious nature,
so
why does my 99 have a rear defrost button (that lights up when depressed) when i don't have a rear defrost system? am i missing something here?
and
there is a lever broken off my seat in front of the power recline lever, driver side has it passenger side does not, any body know what it is for? is it worth fixing?

madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

Rear defrost system is for the optional hard top.

Pax and driver seat could be ordered with different options for reclining functions.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

Rear defrost does the hardtop rear window (if installed) but also heats the two side mirrors
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Garage
I believe the rear defrost is also for the heated rear view mirrors in addition the hard top. OK what Steve said.

The forward handle that is broken is for the seat height adjustment. It controls a pneumatic shock that raises the seat. Some people sit in the seat and pull the lever, when it doesn't do anything PULL HARDER..... When you are in the seat you kinda have to levitate yourself up so the seat can rise. Or before getting in pull the lever. Anyway yes get it fixed.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

thanks guys,
i didn't even know i had heated mirrors.
as for the seat (i find it a little high) is there any way of setting it to it's lowest point and leaving it there?
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
thanks guys,
as for the seat (i find it a little high) is there any way of setting it to it's lowest point and leaving it there?
yes it takes some force to do so. with yourself in the seat, press on lever and use your legs to push against the footrest and extend, it should push the seat downward. hope that helps
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
thanks guys,
The seat height lever pulls a cable that goes to the pneumatic shock, It is released in both directions to raise or lower by pulling the lever up. You say the lever is broken, Is it just missing? When you look at the hole where the lever goes do you see what appears to be a shaft with 5 or 6 teeth? The lever is pried off to remove the trim plate. If you see the teeth centered, then I would see if you can borrow a lever from a friend (never mind I Googled cape Breton} or pick one up somewhere. If you can't find one I have an extra I can send you. Of course if you need to you can release manually, Pull the 2 screws from the trim plate push up and the plate will come off. This will expose the lever and release cable. Fish some cord from front of seat go around the lever and pull to release Good Luck.

Link to lever below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&description=98652162700

Last edited by 911monty; 02-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

The levers are not particularly expensive from the dealer (it's all relative of course).

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote