Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scituate MA
Posts: 837
Removing muffler with bumper one

For those few that have done the next to impossible of removing muffler with bumper still on, are there any special tools I will need. I viewed a link someone posted from I think fabspeed saying to remove the two 13mm nuts hidden behind the bumper but there wAs no mention of tools needed. Not sure how they gained access to them.
Also will I be able to get back on? Any surprises I should expect?
Thanks in advance.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,392
Garage
Hey DWBoxx I pulled mine out without removing the bumper cover. I posted a pic in the Muffler removal thread in the DIY section. Getting to any of the bolts on top of the muffler looks tough. I'm pretty sure this is a sure case of target fixation HAHA. Anyway look at my pic in that thread. I removed the 2 nuts that attach the long flat hanger to the top of the bracket on the back of the trans. Super easy. Pull them last and install first. I used a deep socket with I think a 1" extension. Broke the nuts free and spun off with an air ratchet. Easy even without an air ratchet. Getting the clamps loose on the mid pipes and u bends was the hardest part.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/22915-how-remove-muffler.html

Last edited by 911monty; 02-02-2017 at 06:22 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Keith Newby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 184
On my 2000 I just gave up and removed the rear bumper cover. In addition, without the cover in place it made removal of the U pipes much easier. The silver heat shields are easily taken off...I know it's more involved so resign yourself. Take your time and enjoy the process without the frustration.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,783
Having done it both ways, I would heartily recommend removing the bumper. It's quite easy and everything is SO much more accessible! YMMV
__________________
James
2010 987.2 pdk in speed yellow!
moved on: 2004 986 S
long gone: 2001 986S tip
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,553
It actually takes less time to remove the fascia cover than to try and remove the exhaust with it on.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
The only thing to be aware of when taking the rear bumper off is that you also have to take the rear spoiler off, and that is not hard, but if you don't reinstall the metal frame of the spoiler back right, the painted spoiler lid will not fit flush (it'll sit a little higher than it should when retracted). Annoyed me, so I learned I had to resecure the bolts in the frame in the down position first and then reinstall the painted portion.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Artist, 986S tinkerer
 
NewArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
The only thing to be aware of when taking the rear bumper off is that you also have to take the rear spoiler off, and that is not hard, but if you don't reinstall the metal frame of the spoiler back right, the painted spoiler lid will not fit flush (it'll sit a little higher than it should when retracted). Annoyed me, so I learned I had to resecure the bolts in the frame in the down position first and then reinstall the painted portion.
Aha! It's only a tiny bit higher? I think I have this problem. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!
__________________
James
2010 987.2 pdk in speed yellow!
moved on: 2004 986 S
long gone: 2001 986S tip
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,392
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It actually takes less time to remove the fascia cover than to try and remove the exhaust with it on.
Hey JFP don't get me wrong I have a Great deal of respect what you do for this forum and recognize you have forgotten more than I will ever know about these cars. The way you explain problems leads me to believe that by the end of your description to a customer of how their IMS has destroyed their engine they are probably smiling and offering to buy you a cold one! But this is like saying it is easier to change the battery if you remove the hood! I don't know how removing unnecessary body components with issues like those noted in the additional posts could be faster. I did mine on ramps and even stopping to take pictures I was done in less than an hour from start to finish. Now if I was going to pull the trans then the cover is coming off, but to just R&R the muffler....

Last edited by 911monty; 02-03-2017 at 02:43 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Hey JFP don't get me wrong I have a Great deal of respect what you do for this forum and recognize you have forgotten more than I will ever know about these cars. The way you explain problems leads me to believe that by the end of your description to a customer of how their IMS has destroyed their engine they are probably smiling and offering to buy you a cold one! But this is like saying it is easier to change the battery if you remove the hood! I don't know how removing unnecessary body components with issues like those noted in the additional posts could be faster. I did mine on ramps and even stopping to take pictures I was done in less than an hour from start to finish. Now if I was going to pull the trans then the cover is coming off, but to just R&R the muffler....
Removing the fascia cover is a ten min. project, once it is out of the way and the heat shields are dropped, it another ten min. until the muffler is out. After you have done this about million times (albeit on a lift) it goes very quickly. Working around everything to drop the muffler actually takes longer, and putting it back together is even worse.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Aha! It's only a tiny bit higher? I think I have this problem. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!
Yes, if your spoiler lid seems a little higher than before when in the down position, that's the reason why. Secure the frame while it's all the way down and you'll be good again.
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,392
Garage
JFP Thanks for your willingness to discuss these cars. I have to say that once you do a task a million times it certainly becomes easier. In regards to a DIYer where time is no object, I think that minimal invasive procedure is best. This eliminates breaking brittle plastic tabs, scratches etc. While doing this on ramps is slightly restricted access and removing the fascia would open up a wonderful view. It was literally zip zip with an air ratchet (Got to get me a cordless)
Now we are having to address all fasteners, fascia on or off, the same except for potentially the hanger bolts, where do you disconnect yours? The outer ends or the inner on the bracket? I can certainly say that if I was doing this job on a lift with that kind of access, I wouldn't even consider removing the fascia even on a 98-00.

Last edited by 911monty; 02-03-2017 at 03:30 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,553
Inner bracket, towards the center above the gear box centerline.

How well my guys (and their families) eat depends upon beating "book" (read flat rate times) for any given job without (A) Damaging the vehicle, and (B) Not having a "come back", which they do for free on their time. On a 986, the "R&R" (remove and replace) book for the muffler is less than 3/4 of an hour; and everyone of my guys (and myself as well) remove the fascia's. On the later cars, because of the lower diffuser panel in the fascia, it is almost impossible to get the factory muffler off with the fascia cover in place without damaging the car.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,392
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Inner bracket, towards the center above the gear box centerline.

How well my guys (and their families) eat depends upon beating "book" (read flat rate times) for any given job without (A) Damaging the vehicle, and (B) Not having a "come back", which they do for free on their time. On a 986, the "R&R" (remove and replace) book for the muffler is less than 3/4 of an hour; and everyone of my guys (and myself as well) remove the fascia's. On the later cars, because of the lower diffuser panel in the fascia, it is almost impossible to get the factory muffler off with the fascia cover in place without damaging the car.
Again Thanks; You make a living at this and still take the time. Much appreciated.

edit: Never thought about the diffuser, Guess I can do without one.......

Last edited by 911monty; 02-03-2017 at 03:41 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scituate MA
Posts: 837
I spoke to my mechanic today and was told 2hrs. I have a credit with him from before so I can have it done for under $100. No brainer. My garage is freezing and, my work space is 2x3 .
Thanks everyone for the input.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page