Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
On the slippery slope

Garage
Website addresses being blocked

Whats going on?

It appears that some automotive parts websites are being blocked in post other than pelicanparts.com

for example:
warehouse 33 auto - ************************************************** ******************************

that is BOGUS!!!

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
that is BOGUS!!!
Really? Can you go on the other vendor's forums and try posting links for people to buy parts at Pelican? See how long that stays up.
You may want to create a shill user name in case they ban you for it.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-01-2017 at 07:21 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

I have to agree...this is a Pelican website, I think it's only fair they restrict some advertising for rival parts dealers.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Its not all, just some websites they block

It just started recently

Its really is bogus
Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #5

Why is it bogus?

You won't go into Walmart and see a big sign advertising Target? Or a Burger King slogan in McDonald's?

Pelican has every right to protect themselves, as again, it's THEIR site. They own it, run it, administer it, they can do what they want.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This used to be site where Boxster owners could help other Boxster owners with repairs and finding low cost parts for those repairs. Pelican didn't always run it. Now we are censored, even though we have always provided the content and made it a great forum.

"Where did you get that part at such a low price?"

"Here's the link: *********************"

I'm siding with Jay. This isn't a store or other business. It is a discussion forum with user provided content.
Sure, they can do what they want. That doesn't make it right or not "bogus".

Last edited by particlewave; 02-02-2017 at 04:52 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

If I owned the site, and I have owned my own business for some time, I would greatly appreciate the forum not sending each other to my exact direct competition. Email or phone would be very polite and show respect to me and my efforts. Yes, there are other sites and parts sources, but pelican owns and pays and maintains this one.

Add a few links to a filter? Absolutely. Why not? At least they removed all those ads that started showing up in posts.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
First of all when I joined several years ago, I didn't know Pelican owned this forum and I would venture to say most didn't when they joined and may still not know.

If this was the forum on Pelicans website, I might understand other companies being blocked, but this is not a forum on their website. It is completely separate

Even if it was, censorship is just plain wrong. On top of that, its no all websites that are blocked, just some.

Blocking another vendor from posting ads without being a sponsor is one thing. Blocking links in personal posts is another

And Tim, the ads are still there. You must have added an ad blocker
Old 02-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I can see both sides to this discussion.

On one hand, we share info to get our cars fixed and help out one another.

On the other, this is owned by Pelican (they bought it a few years ago, IIRC) and we don't pay to use it (it does say [Pelican Parts] at the bottom of the page). If RennList was blocking, then I'd be upset since I do pay for that.

Use a URL truncate (TinyURL, Bit.ly)?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
This used to be site where Boxster owners could help other Boxster owners with repairs and finding low cost parts for those repairs. Pelican didn't always run it. Now we are censored, even though we have always provided the content and made it a great forum.

"Where did you get that part at such a low price?"

"Here's the link: *********************"

I'm siding with Jay. This isn't a store or other business. It is a discussion forum with user provided content.
Sure, they can do what they want. That doesn't make it right or not "bogus".
I disagree. They (pelican) bought the website and pay for its maintenance, thereby making it a part of their business. They aren't paying for it out of the goodness of their hearts, but as a way to market their products. Therefore they have the right to control content (which is not cencership).

If you want a site where you can do what you want, then feel free to take that on, build (or buy) a site for yourself.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #11

Its my opinion that we are contributing freely to the advancement of 986 vehicles with many folks putting lots of personal time and effort into DIY articles and advice to support the vehicles.

If this site become anything but completely open, I think the whole thing will go sour.

I'm sure Pelican is benefiting from the ideas and developments on this site as well, and that's fine as long as its open.

Honestly, I myself buy parts from Pelican at least 50% of the time to purposely support the vendor that has provided the forum.

I can't imagine that starting to filter certain vendors is even necessary or profitable in any way, so i question whether its even being done on purpose.

Honestly I think the filtering is probably inadvertent as websites occasionally end up on black lists accidentally as the automatic alogarithms that do the blocking are not advanced enough to account for every situation.

Once your site ends up on a black list it takes a human to contact the listing agency to get yourself removed.

Lets not assume its done purposely and get riled up until we get confirmation. Security is being beefed up everywhere as we have been subject to some particularly nasty stuff in the past year.

I wonder if those specific strings got into the profanity/blacklist filter?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-02-2017 at 06:56 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #12

I agree with Timco. Pelican owns and pays for it so.....If members want to stop posting and being helpful that would be to bad because I don't come here for links to products but for the very useful knowledge that members have. I guess if I want to know "where" a part comes from I can PM the member and ask. I really hope long time members stick around to help us noobs.

PS.....it appears that only links are blocked not the naming of names of other products.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #13
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillies View Post
I agree with Timco. Pelican owns and pays for it so.....If members want to stop posting and being helpful that would be to bad because I don't come here for links to products but for the very useful knowledge that members have. I guess if I want to know "where" a part comes from I can PM the member and ask. I really hope long time members stick around to help us noobs.

PS.....it appears that only links are blocked not the naming of names of other products.
Nope. They are blocking selective websites regardless of whether or not it has a product linked

Whats next, blocking ebay and amazon???

I'm sorry, its a BS policy. This has been and is supposed to be an open forum where people can freely share information with others. Getting their panties in a twist because some vendors offer better deals then them is BS.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Nope. They are blocking selective websites regardless of whether or not it has a product linked

Whats next, blocking ebay and amazon???

I'm sorry, its a BS policy. This has been and is supposed to be an open forum where people can freely share information with others. Getting their panties in a twist because some vendors offer better deals then them is BS.
I'm not sure where you are getting that it's supposed to be an open forum? Says who?

Pelican owns it, plain and simple. They can do what they want. You have the choice - stay and participate as best you can or take your business elsewhere.

If this site were really censored, which it is not, then this whole post would have been long deleted.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Nowhere when you sign up does it state this is owned by Pelican

nor anywhere in the rules does it state you can't link to other vendors websites or that they will block websites

Does another vendor link classify as "objectionable" content

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. You also agree that you will not post any copyrighted materials not owned by yourself or the forum.

The owners of 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #16

I see both sides, but [edit: in my opinion] the value of this forum is our content that was created by us, the forum members, over many thousands of hours (tens/hundreds of thousands?) of user participation. If we all stop posting DIYs and helping tips because it becomes a burden or even merely inconvenient to share the best places to get various parts, the value will greatly decline.

Here is a possible compromise - maybe pelican could add hyperlinks from embedded Porsche part numbers to their catalog, and leave the rest of the links alone?

And I would be cool with changing the top banner from 986forum.com to maybe something like "986forum.com sponsored by Pelican Parts" or something similar? I believe it to be expensive to host a forum and I am thankful to Pelican for hosting this, the best 986 Boxster forum!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Nowhere when you sign up does it state this is owned by Pelican

nor anywhere in the rules does it state you can't link to other vendors websites or that they will block websites...

The owners of 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

They allow us users to post on pretty much any topic as long as it's not objectionable.
Discussions are allowed to take any course unless or until they are clearly in need of moderator attention.
They host uploaded pictures.
They do not block ALL links to competing vendors. They do choose some to block for any reason they want.

I have no idea of the costs and revenues related to hosting a forum web page, but I expect that for the volume of users on this site, it is not insignificant.

For my 2+ years of Boxster ownership, I would have been lost without the info FREELY available here.

I think that Pelican Parts is very reasonable in their management of the forum.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #18

Works both ways, I'm pretty sure the other/sites/forums are doing the same to their competitors. Not a Pelican invention at all, seen it before. Their site:their rules.

I'd be much more worry about posting pics of the Porsche stickers and hood badges we install on our cars. Look who officially shoulder the badge and Police the internet on behalf of Porsche Studios these days.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
If you want a site where you can do what you want, then feel free to take that on, build (or buy) a site for yourself.
And that's exactly what's happening. Pelican is going to kill this forum or, at the least, change it into something less than it was. A lot of us have migrated to another page (not rennlist) and will phase this site out completely.
Jake Raby doesn't post here anymore.
Remember Brad Roberts? Very knowledgeable guy.
Where'd they go?

Anyway, I spend more time there than here lately.

Their site to do with what they want, but it can be self-destructive. Some of us were here before Pelican and helped build this sites content and reputation. It sucks to see it getting worse (poor maintenance, censorship, ads disguised as posts).

That's all I have to say. Back to that other page.

Last edited by particlewave; 02-02-2017 at 09:16 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #20

well, personally i feel that ******************************************* unless of course you ************************* but it might be due to ******************** or trump. worst case scenario, you can ************************************* sense of ownership ******************* membership based ****************************** rules ***************** freedom ************************ god and country ****************************.

'nuff said.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote