Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

secondary delete pipes

I've tired a few searches terms and I may not be refining my search enough as I am getting way too wide of results so sorry if its out there...

I have a 2001 3.2 S and I know the 2.5 has the o2 sensor in a different spot than the 2.7 and 3.2 engines. Other than the bung required on a 2.5 pipes, are the secondary delete pipes the same or different between a 2.5 and 2.7/3.2 (i.e., bends, diameter, etc)? In other words, would a 2.5 secondary delete pipe work on a 3.2 or do I need 2.7/3.2 pipes?

Thanks!

m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

Fabspeed shows their mid pipe cat delete pipes to be different between 97-99 and 2000-2004, and the ones they offer have two different part numbers, so I think they are different but I couldn't tell you what the difference is
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

I have an 02 S, and the ones I bought on ebay were listed for 2000-2004 2.7 / 3.2 application.

I had no major fitment issues.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

The Fabspeed ones are on Ebay now but I was hoping to get the cheaper under $200 version. The cheaper version are the 2.5 pipes.

Are you running yours with a stock exhaust? Wondering how much louder they are?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #5

Garage
I went with CircuitWerks secondary cat delete pipes. The were under $200. They fit no issues and so far so good.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Suggest you include one other term in your search "Smog Test".
You need to pass the Sniffer & the Visual in most States. If you fail due to an equipment violation, the consequences can be dire. I just wish I could get away with it in California.And yes ,I know about emulation,reflash, spacer tubes for the O2 sensor,matte black header paint and all the other smog-outlaw hacks( and have done most of them too -off road only of course!).Just be sure you know what you are getting in to. Yes , I am envious !
Also ,make sure you have a plan if the header bolts break. I always suggest s/s stud kits - after you remove the broken bolt(s) and Helicoil them.

Last edited by Gelbster; 02-01-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

Garage
I used the Top-Speed pipes with stock muffler on my '01 2.7 and it helped the sound a lot.
Also did the Crios hole punch mod for even more rumble. No drone at all. O2 sensors
are not a factor as they are mounted before these pipes. I have passed Ohio e-check test several times -no problem
jeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
I used the Top-Speed pipes with stock muffler on my '01 2.7 and it helped the sound a lot.
Also did the Crios hole punch mod for even more rumble. No drone at all. O2 sensors
are not a factor as they are mounted before these pipes. I have passed Ohio e-check test several times -no problem
Do they do the sniffer test ? Did you have a CEL?
Did they do a visual test?
All 3 tests are done in California and many other States. The bright shiny headers are an instant give away for the Visual unless the headers come with a CARB number. I am not trying to spoil the fun. I love this stuff. But if you get Smog Test problems it will be an expensive mistake.Just check first .Basically if you get a CEL or can see chrome headers underneath you will fail in any State with California Smog Test rules .
Old 02-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #9

Garage
no CEL's from pipes. OH does visual on all inspections, sniffer on some and OBD hook-up
on all others. Only done in most populated counties.. not done state-wide.
much easier than CA and some other states.
jeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffL View Post
no CEL's from pipes. OH does visual on all inspections, sniffer on some and OBD hook-up
on all others. Only done in most populated counties.. not done state-wide.
much easier than CA and some other states.
How lucky you are !
The new DAD smog machines are coming to Ohio ? Our rep tells us which States they are doing tech presentations in .The California disease is spreading.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #11

I have deleted my secondary cats. In California it is illegal and you will fail the bi-annual smog inspection IF they do a visual examination and see they have been removed. It has been my experience that they don't look. I have never had a smog station do a visual inspection. Never.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Fabspeed shows their mid pipe cat delete pipes to be different between 97-99 and 2000-2004, and the ones they offer have two different part numbers, so I think they are different but I couldn't tell you what the difference is
I believe the 97-99 OE pipe & bolt pattern are smaller than 2000-up version. The cheaper versions are one size fits all.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I believe the 97-99 OE pipe & bolt pattern are smaller than 2000-up version. The cheaper versions are one size fits all.
That is very helpful - I will continue to look/hold out for a 2000 & up version. I still have a few months until the snow melts and the car comes out of storage.

Thanks,
Vince
Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #14

Emissions test ???????????

What's that ???
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I have deleted my secondary cats. In California it is illegal and you will fail the bi-annual smog inspection IF they do a visual examination and see they have been removed. It has been my experience that they don't look. I have never had a smog station do a visual inspection. Never.
Do they have a diagram for every model of every car they test? How would they know that a 986 has four?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Gelbster, I can second Chuck's comment.

I have top speed 2nd cat deletes and topseed muffler.
(Only the cat in the headers is still present)

The First smog I had them they did the sniffer test and it passed with room to spare.

The second smog in Nov 2016 it passed as well, but they changed the rules for 2000 and above Model years and now rely on the OBDII computer report and don't even do a sniffer test.

The trick is to get the car good and hot before bringing it in for testing if they use a sniffer. Now with MY 2000 and above you just need to be clear of any codes and your good.

They took a cursory peak on the undersides but I doubt they knew what was stock and what was aftermarket so no issues.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #17

Yeah the sniffer test doesn't even exist in California anymore for any car produced since 2000, it's now a plug it in and run the program, bang out comes the report. My car has always passed with the secondary cats gone and the topspeed muffler installed. Better sound, better acceleration, what's not to like?