Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Garage
Questions, questions, and 18k miles!

OK so I am going to start off by saying I think I am going to drive this car a little more than I planned on. Just hit 18k!

I need some honest advice from you all on the IMSB? I am not sure if you can make out the engine number but what I have figured out is 67107655 (I think) from what I have read online about the IMSB although this is not a positive way to know if it is the single or double row engine numbers up to 67111237 should be double row. I can clearly see from the photo that the digit following 671 is 076 after that it is harder to make out. So what I have read is the double row has less than a 1% failure rate and looking at this number I would be pretty confident that this car has the double row bearing in it? I would love feedback/opinions on this?

I also have the LCD repair kit on the way also to fix the climate control screen! Weekend project coming up...thanks again for all the help on the forum! Any tips...I have read the post.

Insuranceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

What you read online in not correct, the use of engine numbers to determine which bearing is in the engine is all but useless. 1997-1999 engines are all dual row; 2000-2001 engines were a mix of single and dual row bearings, and the only way to know for sure is to take the clutch and flywheel off and look at the IMS flange. No other way has proven to be even remotely correct, you have to take it apart and look. 2002-2004 are all single row bearings. 2005 was another transitional year with a mix of single row and the third variation oversized bearings which cannot be replaced without disassembling the engine. 2006-2008 are all the oversized bearings.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote