Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
I am No. 1348

Garage
Tiptronic Question: Launch in 2nd gear normal?

I have a 2004 Tiptronic (disabled left leg will not allow manual trans).

I notice in standard drive mode, the car launches from a stop in 2nd gear and downshifts to a stop to 2nd gear. In manual mode, I can launch in 1st gear and need to shift very quickly into 2nd.

Is this normal behavior for the Tiptronic?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Yes, that's normal. With a normal acceleration, it will start out in second gear. If you accelerate hard from a stop, it should shift to first.
From the owner's manual, page 141 of the '03 manual, under "D - Automatic selection mode":

I have two 986 Tiptronics...
Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

^ Correct. Tiptronic here also.

Although I've never use the auto-mode. Always using the manual mode and manually downshifting into 1st gear every time I'm coming to a dead stop. But then, I picture myself driving a mini F1 car when I use the Boxster so don't take this as 'common/best practice'

Zipping your lips together and making the F1 car sounds makes the tiptronic experience even better (just joking man loll)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
I am No. 1348

Garage
Thanks for the response. I always come up with these questions when I'm nowhere near my manual. Go Figure?

I find the Tiptronic very different than using most other "Slap Stick" type transmissions.

It is so much more fun and manual shifting like. Especially the downshifting.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

I have a 2001 S and that's how mine works too.

I often manually shift it then switch to auto when approaching a red light. If you lightly press the brake pedal the tip will downshift and brake for you. Once I've stopped I switch back to manual. I usually only use 1st for fast takeoffs, or when starting from a stop on a hill. All other times I launch in 2nd.

I bought a tip because of knee problems - I just couldn't see myself dealing with Atlanta traffic without the tip.