Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Finished my new plug instalment today

The front two are a bit challenging as I had already read....get the car nice and high if you are like me and do not have a lift. Also I have a long torso so working low is tough...that and being 60+ years old. All my coil packs looked like new, just a bit of dirt and road debris, the plugs not too bad..I'm sure these are the ones that came in the car originally. I just hit 80K and it was past time. The plug tubes came out much easier than I had expected, I made one of the carriage bolt tools and turned the head down using my Lathe and Milling machine (Belt sander and cordless drill). I put a large wingnut on the end and this provided plenty of mechanical advantage so I could just pop the tube out without using any type of pry tools. The installation of the tubes with O rings were far more challenging, a couple popped in with firm thumb pressure...but the rest no way. I used a big socket to provide even mechanical pressure in a controlled way, this made it duck soup. I hope this helps someone else with this job. I replaced the original multi electrode plugs with a single electrode Iridium NGK, this was due mainly to that was all I could find locally as I thought I had ordered plugs...but had not. The car started and ran like a champ afterwords.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice job, well done!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

Be alert for a CEL for Misfire codes. Ask here if you get them and rectify immediately to avoid catalyst damage.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nice work! I did mine last week and definitely noticed a positive change. Plugs looked original...Beru with 96k miles.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Started the old gal up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Be alert for a CEL for Misfire codes. Ask here if you get them and rectify immediately to avoid catalyst damage.
Drove it and brought it up to temperature, didn't notice any missing or CEL....but if I do I will ask for help....Thanks

Dwight

PS how long before the ECU would issue a CEL and note if a pack were misfiring ??
Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 AM   #6

I thought we were going to see this:

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
how long before the ECU would issue a CEL and note if a pack were misfiring ??
I recall reading that the car has to go through two "drive cycles"; i.e. up to temp and speed two separate times.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Drove it and brought it up to temperature, didn't notice any missing or CEL....but if I do I will ask for help....Thanks

Dwight

PS how long before the ECU would issue a CEL and note if a pack were misfiring ??
In my case it was almost immediate.
The cause is embarrassing to confess. I had failed to push the connector on to the coil all the way until it latched.Very easy to do if the boots fit tight.And of course it ran fine ,with no codes - for a while.Then a little vibration(?) shook it loose enough to misfire. Potential Catalyst damage !
The trick is to slide the boot back ,along the coil wire sheathing. Then you can see,hear and feel the latch click.
I am laboring this point because far from home this could be a little but expensive problem
I hope my confession helps others.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #9

That's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I thought we were going to see this:

and Nope no way I would ever do that...or color my hair....Im proud of my vintage
Old 01-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

You're good to go! Thanks for posting your experience and pics. My tubes when right back in without any real drama at all.

My car runs the same but the oil dripping and smell of oil on exhaust has certainly gone away.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote