View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Pdwight

Finished my new plug instalment today

The front two are a bit challenging as I had already read....get the car nice and high if you are like me and do not have a lift. Also I have a long torso so working low is tough...that and being 60+ years old. All my coil packs looked like new, just a bit of dirt and road debris, the plugs not too bad..I'm sure these are the ones that came in the car originally. I just hit 80K and it was past time. The plug tubes came out much easier than I had expected, I made one of the carriage bolt tools and turned the head down using my Lathe and Milling machine (Belt sander and cordless drill). I put a large wingnut on the end and this provided plenty of mechanical advantage so I could just pop the tube out without using any type of pry tools. The installation of the tubes with O rings were far more challenging, a couple popped in with firm thumb pressure...but the rest no way. I used a big socket to provide even mechanical pressure in a controlled way, this made it duck soup. I hope this helps someone else with this job. I replaced the original multi electrode plugs with a single electrode Iridium NGK, this was due mainly to that was all I could find locally as I thought I had ordered plugs...but had not. The car started and ran like a champ afterwords.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote