Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
jakesbox

Speed Yellow

I like the color...looking at a 2011 Cayman S - speed yellow with black wheels. it looks really cool. No I do't care what others think of my car, but what I do know and care about is that I get bored with cars pretty quick. A low mileage Cayman S has been on the list for a while and now i have a chance but the damn thing is speed yellow. Knowing how bored I get quickly (longest i have kept a car is a year. i want to try them all!), I am concerned that resale will be a real problem.

I know it is a rare color for these cars. It is bad ass looking, it is low mile and well kept up and i would do the same...BUT its speed yellow.

Anyone have any issues selling a speed yellow car? Did you have to price it accordingly because of the color? Did you get beat up on or beat someone up (while maybe buying your speed yellow car) while buying or selling one?

Interior is black. Speedo, etc gauges are yellow, factory yellow painted trim on inside. Its cool, but...

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, emotional outbursts? Hey at least it doesnt have an IMS bearing to discuss!

Thanks everyone

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
jakesbox

here is a pic - anyone know the car by chance?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

That's badass.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Run

I like the color and that one looks great with the rims and side decals. I looked for one for months before I bought my Guards Red CS. I was willing to spend a few extra bucks for the speed yellow but could not find one at the time. As for the color I would think it would not be the choice of most but I would think the guy who wants one would jump all over it if the options, miles and condition were right.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

I really like speed yellow and the color combo on this one is really nice. It's pretty badass and I'd be happy with it in my garage.

My guess is that it is a little tougher to sell as it's no for everyone but there is a group of people that seek this type of color on sports cars. No personal experience with yellow but I know when buying I'd likely pressure on price a little because of the color. Check out KBB and other like sites to see what sort of adjustment on price they give due to the the color compared to other colors to get some indication.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
... but the damn thing is speed yellow. Knowing how bored I get quickly (longest i have kept a car is a year. i want to try them all!), I am concerned that resale will be a real problem.
Yellow is probably the least desirable color for re-sale. Black, white, silver/grey, blue, red would all be a better choice. Even Brown is more popular than yellow.

Wikipedia - Car Color Popularity
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-17-2017 at 06:31 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #7

Somehow, yellow just works on certain cars..I think this is one of them! I purchased a 1999 BMW M Roady back in 2001 that was yellow....loved it.

I wouldn't want it on my 4Runner but on certain sports cars its pretty cool.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

I have a Speed Yellow 03S and wouldn't want any other color......who cares abut resal....buy the car you want not what the next guy might want.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #9

Garage
I purchased my 02 base boxster in 2009 and its color was initially not my favorite. Now eight years later I would not hesitate. Car gets a lot of looks and compliments. No one has ever said the color was bad. I like that it is not like all the others out there, IMHO, too may silver and black cars out there. Yellow is easier to keep clean looking that black.

My favorite combo is the darker gray with tobacco interior.
cribfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribfiller View Post
I purchased my 02 base boxster in 2009 and its color was initially not my favorite. Now eight years later I would not hesitate. Car gets a lot of looks and compliments. No one has ever said the color was bad. I like that it is not like all the others out there, IMHO, too may silver and black cars out there. Yellow is easier to keep clean looking that black.

My favorite combo is the darker gray with tobacco interior.
Well said.
Here's my 2003 S

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

The gauges are yellow??
Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #12
jakesbox

Old 01-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #13

Garage
@trimmer, that looks more like race yellow. If it is speed yellow that's one of the last years. Thumbs up!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #14

My personal experience. Every kind of insect seems to like the color in summer. So the color seems good for a Cayman, but maybe not so good for a Boxster.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #15

I love Speed Yellow. The wife, not so much. Hence my Boxster is grey.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Not a fan of yellow Boxsters, but it definitely works on the Cayman.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-17-2017 at 10:08 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #17

Trimer, thanks for the thread question. Very timely topic for me (more in a bit).

I like SY but that's coming from someone who has an orange Boxster and a signal green Cayman. Most Porsche owners want standard colors - silver, black, or white. If you stray from the norm, you may cut down on the potential mkt. SY definitely fits the "thinning down" defn. As others have said, they like SY but you'll have to find the right buyer at the exact time you're wanting to sell. Might take a while since there are fewer who will consider SY as an option.

I have a friend who was in the mkt for a 987.1 Cayman a few yrs ago. He found a very nice one 5 hrs away and was all set to buy it until wifey found out it was SY. She nixed the deal. He bought a silver one not long after.

There's a SY 08 CS on ebay that's been for sale for a while. I thought about throwing a wholesale bid at them at the year end, figuring they might be ready to move it. I was making the offer to buy with the intention of reselling it. Part of the calculation on my bid was considering the SY factor. I reduced it $1K because of the color. We did a bit of back and forth on my offer. I raised it once but wouldn't go further because of my uncertainty with the color. The salesman said we were close. I even thought about starting a thread like this one to gauge SY's favor. They still have the Cayman but the salesman I worked with just sold me a Lapis Blue 01 911 cab that will be my next Wheeler Dealer car. Stay tuned...

The SY CS that you're looking at is badass. If you feel you won't be keeping it long, you are wise to consider the ramifications of trying to sell it in a few yrs. But who knows, maybe this one rings your bell and you won't become bored with it? I used to trade my personal cars every 4 yrs. I just celebrated 9 yrs with my LE and 4 yrs with the CSS. Have no intentions of getting rid of either. This could be the one that you've been subconsciencely looking for all these yrs.

Good luck with your decision.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-18-2017 at 07:05 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #18

I think speed yellow sportcars looks absolutely stunning during the evening/night. In daytime, well, if you like to be noticed then go for it. Once heard complaints from a SY car owner that everybody (eeverybodyy) looks at you.

So.... if you prefer to be slightly low profile, then speed yellow is probably not for you.

Speed Yellow is a safe color however; greatly reduce the risks of accidents loll. Bright (eyebleeding) Guards Red works quite well also. Advantages!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #19
jakesbox

ok so next dilema...for 2K more I can get this 2014 NON S cayman but loaded. 275 HP vs the 320 of the 2011. Much less understated with the silver but it is a 6sp manual and checks all the boxes. I have always been told and lived by this with all the cars i bought to buy the newest you can afford. I like the look of the new ones and this silver with these wheels...the black interior and the 6 speed could make this a fun car. switch to a fabspeed exhaust to give it a little noise.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #20
jakesbox

PS - thanks for the conversation. I appreciate all the replys...