Thread: Speed Yellow
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #17
husker boxster

Trimer, thanks for the thread question. Very timely topic for me (more in a bit).

I like SY but that's coming from someone who has an orange Boxster and a signal green Cayman. Most Porsche owners want standard colors - silver, black, or white. If you stray from the norm, you may cut down on the potential mkt. SY definitely fits the "thinning down" defn. As others have said, they like SY but you'll have to find the right buyer at the exact time you're wanting to sell. Might take a while since there are fewer who will consider SY as an option.

I have a friend who was in the mkt for a 987.1 Cayman a few yrs ago. He found a very nice one 5 hrs away and was all set to buy it until wifey found out it was SY. She nixed the deal. He bought a silver one not long after.

There's a SY 08 CS on ebay that's been for sale for a while. I thought about throwing a wholesale bid at them at the year end, figuring they might be ready to move it. I was making the offer to buy with the intention of reselling it. Part of the calculation on my bid was considering the SY factor. I reduced it $1K because of the color. We did a bit of back and forth on my offer. I raised it once but wouldn't go further because of my uncertainty with the color. The salesman said we were close. I even thought about starting a thread like this one to gauge SY's favor. They still have the Cayman but the salesman I worked with just sold me a Lapis Blue 01 911 cab that will be my next Wheeler Dealer car. Stay tuned...

The SY CS that you're looking at is badass. If you feel you won't be keeping it long, you are wise to consider the ramifications of trying to sell it in a few yrs. But who knows, maybe this one rings your bell and you won't become bored with it? I used to trade my personal cars every 4 yrs. I just celebrated 9 yrs with my LE and 4 yrs with the CSS. Have no intentions of getting rid of either. This could be the one that you've been subconsciencely looking for all these yrs.

Good luck with your decision.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-18-2017 at 07:05 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote