Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Thrills, chills, and spills at the FIRM 12/29/2016

The FIRM (The Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park) had a special holiday Track Attack Thursday 12/29/2016 and it was awesome. A little rain after lunch but otherwise great weather and not too hot.

At this event my car had the following configuration:

2000 Porsche Boxster S, Hankook R-S3 tires, Carbotech XP brakes (XP10 front, XP8 rear), M030 sport suspension with Koni FSD Dampers, Beluga Racing exhaust with Top Speed 2nd cat delete pipes, and GT3 LCA with the following alignment settings:
Front: -2.0 Camber, 0 toe
Rear: -1.6 Camber, .08 degree toe in, .16 degree total toe in

TC turned off, now that I am getting faster, if I forget to turn it off I can feel it kick in as soon as I go into the first corner and I am like ugggggg.

After a few sessions to get it stabilized, I was running tire pressures of 32f/33r hot [Edit: I originally remembered 31/33 hot but I looked at my sheet and it was 32/33 that I was running] (after 1-2 cool down laps so it was some degree higher during my hot laps). This was working great and by lunch time I didn't have to fiddle with air until it was time to drive home and I havd to add some back in.

The FIRM is in Keystone Heights, FL at the Keystone Heights airport and has the following layout:

I recently picked up a Mobius 808 Keychain camera (non HD) that I was going to try and use as a dashcam but since it couldn't really pick up license plates I moved it to the Boxster. In this first video (my 2nd session of the day) I mounted it outside the car so I could see the front left tire. Dang that wheel really moves up and down a lot!

https://youtu.be/bDG9tWaqy1Q

In this video, my 3rd session, I mounted the camera backwards pointing back toward the left rear tire. I also flipped the video so that it matches what you would see if you were looking at this wheel in the mirror while driving.

https://youtu.be/FSBOep9t8oE

This video is from later in the day, and is a view from Harry's Lap Timer. it is interesting to me to see the speeds and g-forces. This is 3 laps, the third lap of which was my fastest of the day and my current personal best (1:25.97) beating my best times from last July of 1:31.something (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62408-few-laps-firm-mobius-camera-beluga-racing-exhaust.html).

https://youtu.be/gMILJ-Mk8lg

This final video is a montage of some of my Chills, thrills, and spills that day. Mostly passing cars, sliding around, and a few agricultural events....

https://youtu.be/KfE8oABqyto

The FIRM now has open track weekend twice a month and they are still running the first timer special of 50% off (99$, full price is $199 plus tax). This spring all of us in the North FL area should try to see if we can bring some Boxsters and take over the firm

I used to not really like this track but I think it was because I sucked and was very slow. Now that I suck less I really like it now For example, here is my first time at the FIRM in June 2014 and my 3rd ever track day:

Track Attack

My best times that day were high 1:36 and 1:37, 11 seconds slower than this most recent event. Now that I am faster it is more fun. Although it was still pretty fun back then too

Last edited by steved0x; 01-06-2017 at 04:50 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Great stuff Steve
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Enjoyed your chills, thrills vid Steve! Not too proud to show the off-road clip, that's cool!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #4

Outstanding.... many thanks for posting!!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

I need more power Scotty!
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

steve, great stuff sir!! thanks a lot for sharing!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #7

Thanks everybody, this event was a lot of fun and a lot of fun making the videos too. The last time I was here I only passed like 1 miata and got passed by everybody else. This time I think I got passed by the mustang and the viper and that was it, and I passed most everybody else 3-4 times, and the rest of the cars I never saw on track at all, so I guess we were running a similar pace... Clean track is fun, but clean track mixed in with some passing is even more fun

One interesting thing (well to me) is the last time I was here I was on my KSports, I set a new personal best that time too. This time I was back on the OEM M030 Sport Suspension, with Koni FSD dampers. My first session was meant to be a warmup session, and as I was driving I could definitely feel the car moving around under me a lot more than last time, due to the softer OEM suspension. Not in a bad way, but definitely moving around a lot more, especially as I picked up more speed. As I did the cooldown lap I was already writing the post in my mind, how the softer suspension was going to be slower at this track, etc.. etc..

Once I got in and checked my times, I had run 2-3 laps that ranged from 1 to 1.5 seconds faster than my previous PB! That was a surprise to me. Ultimately during the day I was able to shave off 5.5 seconds of my previous best. That is insane!

However I in no way believe that was due to changing the suspension, I believe it was due to driver development. Since this past July I did 8 track days Roebling, Sebring, and Grand Prize of America and learned a lot and really helped my confidence, and some things just seemed to click. For example, looking back at the videos from July at this track, I don't think I even chirped a tire once, and this time, the tires were talking through most corners. And I was on the same brand of tires (Hankook R-S3), and in fact I was on the same set of fronts as back then.

My new philosophy is that I am not buying any more go-fast parts for the car (ha) until I have maxed out the current configuration and advanced my personal development to the point where the car is holding me back. In February I am going to an event at Roebling Road with Holy City Motorsports that is a private track day, with 8 coaching spots available, and I signed up for one of them (https://clubregistration.net/events/signUp.cfm/event/7965). I believe that the coach (Cory Freidman of Autometrics Motorsports) may drive my car to set a baseline and then work and ride with me to identify some areas for improvement. With 8 clients in one day I don't expect hours of 1:1 time but I do hope to see some improvements and if he drives my car that would be a real eye opener especially as I anticipate that he will smoke my best time
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

Steve,

I'm a complete Noob at this, but I really enjoyed watching your videos ... makes me want to learn how to drive my car the right way. Rookie question but: Does it even make sense to take a tiptronic car out on the track? Thanks,

Jorge

PS.I have an '03 Base
SUPJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPJorge View Post
Steve,

I'm a complete Noob at this, but I really enjoyed watching your videos ... makes me want to learn how to drive my car the right way. Rookie question but: Does it even make sense to take a tiptronic car out on the track? Thanks,

Jorge

PS.I have an '03 Base

welcome Jorge! this guy on here seems to have a lot of fun with his tip tronic on the track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7xKhDvvqQ4

it's actually a pretty capable transmission and pretty damn good for an automatic.

if you want some cheap thrills you should come out with me and some of the guys to the Porsche Club of America Autocross usually held at BB&T Center in Sunrise, it's about 30$ if you're a PCA member of 40$ if not, doesnt beat on your car at all and no mods like brakes or tires required (unless you're driving surpasses the car's stock form capability)
you will really be surprised at what this car can do and you'll love it even more. it's a good first step before doing DEs at the track.

Cristian
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #10

Cristian, thanks for the welcome. I'll take you up on the invite and look forward to meeting you. Jorge
Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPJorge View Post
Steve,

Jorge

PS.I have an '03 Base
Thank you, and to echo Cristian, Heck yes, bring your Tip car out to the track/autocross! Besides the video linked I think there are at least 2-3 others on here that track their Tip cars and I have ridden with several PCA instructors with tip cars that were plenty fast. Even Wayne from Pelican parts has driven a tip car on track as described here: Boxster Track Preparation / Boxster Rollbar extension - 986 / 987 - Pelican Technical Article

Quote:
I took my wife's 1999 Tiptronic out on the track at the Streets of Willow one day mainly because every other car in my stable was temporarily out of commission. I initially thought the 2.5L engine and automatic transmission would be a slow dog on the track, but I was pleasantly surprised when the Boxster literally outran many of the other cars (mostly early 911s). The mid-engine placement, the balanced suspension and the quick braking combined with the Tiptronic transmission really made the car a secret weapon. I was most surprised at the Tiptronic, which somehow figured out that I was on the track and began to shift exactly where I needed it to.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
My wife drove our '99 Tiptronic in automatic mode on the track and both her and the instructor (non-Porsche) thought that it was really lagging. Since then I have taken it out for some spirited drives in the manual mode and found it to be much better that way. In manual mode it shifts quickly and will automatically upshift at redline if you just floor it. Just a quick tap or two of the thumb as I decel into a corner and it gives crisp downshifts. No worry about missing a shift or over-revving. The only change I'd make would be adding a shift lever that I could use to bump the gear up or down instead of just the steering wheel shift.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I've been flogging my Boxster S tip on the track for 2 years now. Don't need to worry about heel and toeing, you just put your foot into it! Play with the paddles to add a bit of pazazz if you are so inclined!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #14

Thanks Art and 78, I'm learning to play with the shifters and find them quick enough for me (but what do I know).

78, I also have a Cayenne (also).

Steve, sorry for the thread hijack ... again, I really enjoyed your video.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Just need to get me a helmet and I'll go... once I refresh the suspension.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote