Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #1

ipod to radios experts...how about this idea?

i want to create a very simple ipod to radio hook-up, the simplest possible direct connection, that is. so i ordered the rca-to-radio cord from becker and i'm wondering where to route it.

1. can it be routed out of the center console (e.g. on the side of the console, or into a storage bin) without drilling or cutting? (i have no tools, but want to do this myself)

2. what do you think of this idea...routing the cord into the cupholder (it's right above the radio in my boxster) and fashioning some sort of cradle in or in place of one of the cupholders. that way, i could just open the cupholder when i have my ipod, pop it in, and have very easy visual and hand access to the ipod...and when i don't have the ipod i just close the cupholder and the cradle disappears.

i just thought that since the cupholder is right above the radio it might be easy...and i don't need two cupholders, just one.

if this isn't a good idea, then i guess i'll just try and find a way to route the cord out of the console the way that requires the least drilling/cutting, and is the most inconspicuous possible.

thanks for your help!

hippojam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #2

As luck would have it. my friend and I finished up our iPod installs today. We used these basic instructions: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5190

These instructions show cutting into the bottom of the ashtray for access to the connector. As an alternative, we cut a small slot in the top of the in-dash storage bin and fed the iPod connector down through it. We used a Dremel tool to make the cut, but you could use a utility knife if you are careful and take your time. The only way you can see the slot is to lay on the floor and look up.

The connector from the Belkin adapter shown in the instructions requires a slot about one inch by one-quarter inch. If you don't need to get power for the iPod from the car, you can just drill a hole for the RCA mini plug.

Either way, you can hide the cable when not in use by pushing it back up through the hole or slot. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

I preferred to cut into the storage bin because I figure it is less expensive to replace the storage bin than the ashtray.

I don't have the cupholder in my 00, My friend's 02 does have them, but I didn't think of that option.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 06-17-2006 at 08:09 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote