Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Garage
Door speakers

Hi,

I know it has been discussed here a lot, but I just can't find the answer to this simple question: is it possible to install (and wire) door speakers into a 986 that never had them before?

If yes, is it an easy job? Can somebody point me to the right DIY guide?

2000 Porsche Boxster S, Rainforest Green
boxpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

It'd be easy if your door cards have the speaker holes already, otherwise you're looking at modifying the cards and running wire etc.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Garage
OK, and there's no way to know it for sure without taking them apart?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No, just look at it. Do you have speaker grills?
Probably not, which means cutting holes in the door cards or the better option of finding used cards with grills and the enclosures from a dismantler.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-22-2016 at 10:47 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
IIRC, if the car did not have factory speakers, there is no wiring for them and you will have to add it which is a PITA

Do a search here and maybe Pelican and Pedros for DIYs
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #6

Konstantin, does your car already have rear speakers? If not, you might want to consider adding those instead of the door speakers, which may be easier/cheaper. My car came with only dash speakers, and I added the rear speaker kit which was a factory kit for dealers to install. My car also has no amp. Adding the rear speakers was a huge improvement. Pelican has an article on how to do it. I don't know if the kit is still available new, but I would think you can find a used rear shelf section with speakers already installed.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Garage
No, my car has dash speakers only. Well, I'm [in theory] not sold on rear speakers, because of their size. They [again, in theory] should be great for heights, but I feel like I'm missing lows – which should deliver bigger door speakers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #8

Good door speakers will add a lot of sound to the cabin - definitely worth the upgrade. They will help with those lows.

But yeah, while in there, might want to consider just doing the whole thing and adding some rear speakers. They too make a huge difference and since you are running cable all around anyways. And I found it a fairly simple DIY if you have the parcel shelf back there. Just need a few 3.5 speakers.

You can also go crazy and add a powered subwoofer. Kenwood makes one small enough that sits nicely underneath the passenger seat that delivers an okay sound. Definitely helps with the lows.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks. Any recommendations on these 3.5 speakers?
Do I need an amp for powering the subwoofer and rears?

Old 12-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #10

Garage
Anything is possible! I added 6 speakers to the rear shelf. At 100 with the top down and after market exhaust(drone YES) I can hear Sammy LOUD AND CLEAR! JUST DO IT!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Good door speakers will add a lot of sound to the cabin - definitely worth the upgrade. They will help with those lows.

But yeah, while in there, might want to consider just doing the whole thing and adding some rear speakers. They too make a huge difference and since you are running cable all around anyways. And I found it a fairly simple DIY if you have the parcel shelf back there. Just need a few 3.5 speakers.

You can also go crazy and add a powered subwoofer. Kenwood makes one small enough that sits nicely underneath the passenger seat that delivers an okay sound. Definitely helps with the lows.
Giller, can you post pics of your rear parcel set up? Thanks

Last edited by Converse986Black; 12-23-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Converse986Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxpriest View Post
Thanks. Any recommendations on these 3.5 speakers?
Do I need an amp for powering the subwoofer and rears?
No, the sub has it's own mini-amp built in....just had to run a wire through the firewall to the battery, which is actually pretty simple.

As for speakers, lots of small ones out there. I used some Pioneers which do a good job in that small space. Used Focals in the door, sound very nice.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W1Shu6s0WIL/p_113KSCSW11/Kenwood-KSC-SW11.html

Last edited by Giller; 12-23-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: link to sub posted
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse986Black View Post
Giller, can you post pics of your rear parcel set up? Thanks
Sorry mate, no pics and the car is all tucked away for the winter. Come spring I can snap a couple.

I haven't yet put any speaker grills on, so the speakers are exposed - which I like as a look, but they do get a bit dirty, so would recommend some grills.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #14

I would like to +1 on the Crutchfield suggestion.

In fact, I could not recommend another audio company more highly than Crutchfield. They will have everything you'll need to get the job done and have the tech support to go along with it.

I have no affiliation with them. I'm just a customer who has had a great experience with them. In my case I installed a new deck, front, rear and sub woofer speakers into a 2000 Toyota 4Runner. Prior to that install, I had no experience with that stuff. They did a great job.

Now I am seriously considering upgrading the deck in my 986. My big hang up is, I really like the factory look of the CR-210. Sure I could "upgrade" to a CR-220 and then be able to bluetooth to it, but for the price of a used CR-220, I could get a new modern deck from Crutchfield AND upgrade the door speakers.

Either way, give them a call and I'm sure you'll be able to get the help you need to get 'er done.

Good luck!
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Here is a factory look radio with modern features
Continental Automotive -Tuner (RDS) USB, CD/MP3, Bluetooth
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #16

Back in 2008, I bought a new head unit, amp, cross overs, component speakers for the doors and new speakers for the dash. My 2003 Boxster came with the crappiest stereo ever made, with only the dash speakers. I didn't care which stereo it came with because all the factory units pretty much suck and I knew I'd end up replacing whatever stereo it came with, so for me the low end stereo option didn't matter. I couldn't be happier with the sound. Came out great. Doesn't look stock, but I don't care about that, as long as it sounds good at any speed.
I didn't do the install myself, as it came with the equipment for no extra charge. I did add some dynamat behind the speakers, on the door card and the door metal skin to keep the doors from rattling and improve the sound. To me, upgrading the stereo was totally worth doing.

This is how the installer ran the wires into the doors:

Last edited by Dave S.; 12-25-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #17

I've chased this low end / base question for years and come to the conclusion there just isn't a true subwoofer solution out there. Space is the problem. One just can't fit a 10" or 12" speaker in the passenger compartment.

That said, I eventually found a great compromise. See post #12 in this thread - http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/64430-another-stereo-question.html

By fine tuning the crossovers and individual speaker voltage inputs, I was able to get a great sound at the low end. The door speakers are driven by amp's subwoofer output.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote