Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #21

For those getting second gear grinding... your synchros are already well shot and the detent isn’t going to be a great addition. It can help a little, but if you are grinding it’s new synchro time. Mine never did grind, just had a pop out when cold for a couple of shifts. Still, even with the pop out, ultimately we are just buying time and the tranny is going to need work at some point. If you’re just experienceing a pop out or two when cold, than it’s worth the effort and $$ IMO.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 AM   #22

Garage
Mine usually it's just difficult to engage 2nd when cold, in rare occasions(about 5 times in 4000miles) when I put it into 2nd grinds and feels like it pops out. After a few miles everything dissapears. I am not sure if the detent is going to help.... Or I will have the synchro fix at some point no matter what.
Any advice?
BoxGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxGr View Post
Mine usually it's just difficult to engage 2nd when cold, in rare occasions(about 5 times in 4000miles) when I put it into 2nd grinds and feels like it pops out. After a few miles everything dissapears. I am not sure if the detent is going to help.... Or I will have the synchro fix at some point no matter what.
Any advice?
Detent might help, but if you are getting grinding of any sort, the synchros are on the way out. It doesn’t require a full rebuild, the synchros can be done by gear. If your are getting gridding in each gear, it’s possbile your clutch is done and the dentent would do you no good. Having said all of that, if you were to get your trans fixed, it would be a bad thing to have the detent in the new rebuild.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote