Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #1

Thoughts? Cayenne V8 in a Boxster?

I have done something like 12 V8 conversions in 914's. I'm thinking about taking on a Boxster conversion using a Cayenne V8.

What do you think?

You cant hurt my feelings. It would still be Porsche powered (unlike the 914's I have built with SBC's in them)

Thoughts?

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #2

I WANT ONE! I WANT ONE!! I WANT ONE!!! :dance:
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #3

I doubt anyone here would tell you they think it's a bad idea... more power in our cars? Of course you should try it!

The question for me is, "Will that big thing fit in the small space provided in a boxster?"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #4

The question for me is, "What do you call it?"

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Price wise and time wise doesnt it make more sense to supercharge the car? I'm sure that will take up about half the funds and time to do and it would be just as fast ,if not faster then the Chayenne V8.Just my two cents.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #6

Let's see...

Boxenne

Boxsterate

Or why not just name it "the german beast" and send it out to spank every E55 it can find on weekends?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete

I guess calling it the Coxster would be insensitive and innappropriate?
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #8

Cayenne V8's are for pussies.

This is a conversion motor, baby.

Twin turbo V20, 3500hp and 13,000 ft/lbs of torque.

Better get some GOOD brakes and sticky tires.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #9

I might have trouble getting that in there

but the engine bay of the Boxster is wider than the engine bay of the Cayenne. The length is fine also. My biggest concern is top to bottom on the Cayenne V8.

It wouldnt surprise me at all if the Boxster tranny's would bolt right up to a Audi S4 twin turbo or Audi S4 V8. They all use a Audi tranny!!

I need a Boxster rolling chassis for a few weeks.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #10

JEEZ!!

I'm dumb. I have a 01 Boxster S with the engine out right now!! available for test fitting..

I'm really dumb. Not stupid (I can learn)

Shrink that pic their Todd'r

B
Old 06-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #11

Since we are posting pictures of big engines:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

102 rpm. All torque, baby.

On the idea of a V8, if it fits and doesn't throw off the weight and balance too much, I say go for it.
woreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I doubt anyone here would tell you they think it's a bad idea

I'll say it then. Bad idea. You lose the balance of a flat engine. I would rather have a 3.8F or 3.6F TT than a V8
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #13

Ha ha.. people for years told me the same thing about the V8 914 conversions.

Then they drove one. That additional weight (50lbs or so higher than the crank centerline) didnt make much difference to them after they hit the loud pedal one time.

Suspension and setup is NO issue for me.

Here is something to chew on:

An aluminum headed/alum. intake/ fully dressed SBC weighs LESS than a fully dressed 930 turbo engine!! The SBC will set you back $4500 for 450hp.

I have a couple of Boxster engines fully dressed that I can weigh. I need access to the Cayenne V8. I'll have to call LA P-car dismantlers and see of they have a engine from a Cayenne. I havent talked to Todd in awhile!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #14

As an enthusiast I'd rather see a built up 3.8 Flat six putting out 380 - 440 HP Naturally Aspirated with an high red-line than a hefty V-8 in a boxster.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #15

I'm right there with you!

but.. It wasnt until just recently that Porsche broke the 100hp per liter magic number in a production engine.

It will be awhile before the aftermarket really steps up on the development of the newer wet sump engines.

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it.

B
Old 06-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #16

Giving up on the 4.0 10k engine with the M90 blower?

CW
Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #17

screw the old fashioned flat 6 values, shove a v8 in there and watch what a boxster chasis will do. i bet that would whip anything in straights or corners you can put out there. If i had a v8 box, i'd leave the engine running in the garage and sit there and listen to it. porsche charges too much for a 6 cylinder that puts out honda power.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #18

I would guess it's not so much the added weight of the V8, rather where that weight is... I submit the girth of it would be too high. That's one of the great thing about boxer engines, the low center of gravity. Would it be transversely mounted?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #19

Ha ha ha on the M90. Still poking around on it.

I do agree about *some* weight being moved up, but not more than having a 200lb buddy riding with you. The V8's have composite intakes and all aluminum engines.

I personally dont believe your would feel the "polar moment" difference between the two.

I have driven/raced several V8 914's. I know the difference.

OK. UPDATE:

The Audi S4 V6 twin turbo will bolt to a Boxster tranny! This means there is a good possibility that the Audi V8 will bolt to it also!

B
Old 06-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #20

A Coxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote