Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Garage
Heater box removal

OK, so some of you may have read my posts and requests in the past regarding water entering the cabin through the bulkhead. I have established that it is not entering because of blocked ducts. Final course of action is to remove the dash board which we have done today with the help of a post showing all the fixings.
I now need to remove the heater box to access the bulkhead from the cabin side. This is where I need help.
Does anybody know where the fixings are for this. Mr Google hasn't helped so far.

Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

search for meir - he has a series of three pdf how-to's to get the dash, heater matrix, etc., out.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
1999 base

Garage
I replied to your pm, but just in case others will need it.
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37246-c-evaporator-replacement-c-foam-flakes.html
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Thank you very much. You have put an incredible amount of work into these projects and they have helped enormously. Let's hope I find the problem.
Walshie
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
search for meir - he has a series of three pdf how-to's to get the dash, heater matrix, etc., out.
Thanks I used meir for the dash removal.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Hi welshie.
I just went over your previous posts, an I'm sorry I missed the one you posted back in April.
I have no intention of braking your spirit, but I think you didn't need to remove the dashboard.
The air box is meeting the firewall in two places.
On the passenger side there is the cabin air filter, and in the center, the heater core.
Focus on the "heater core removal" document, and I'm sure you will solve your issue.
My guess is that the foam part that covers the heater core, is either torn, or not sealed.
Another option is that the heater core is leaking, but then you whould notice coolant lost.
Do you have A/C in the car, or just heat?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Hi welshie.
I just went over your previous posts, an I'm sorry I missed the one you posted back in April.
I have no intention of braking your spirit, but I think you didn't need to remove the dashboard.
The air box is meeting the firewall in two places.
On the passenger side there is the cabin air filter, and in the center, the heater core.
Focus on the "heater core removal" document, and I'm sure you will solve your issue.
My guess is that the foam part that covers the heater core, is either torn, or not sealed.
Another option is that the heater core is leaking, but then you whould notice coolant lost.
Do you have A/C in the car, or just heat?
Hi Meir. Thank you for taking the time to help. As you say the heater core is in the centre of the car. But I am not sure this is the problem. The car does have AC but it doesn't work( another project) the rain water comes in approximately centre of the passenger side( Rh drive) around the extrusion that I believe houses the AC pipes going to the matrix. I have found this while running a hose into the scuttle panel as just a trickle. The scuttle panel area does not flood. I am hoping that in removing the heater box that I can replace any seals.
I am hoping this makes sense to you.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
Hi Meir. Thank you for taking the time to help. As you say the heater core is in the centre of the car. But I am not sure this is the problem. The car does have AC but it doesn't work( another project) the rain water comes in approximately centre of the passenger side( Rh drive) around the extrusion that I believe houses the AC pipes going to the matrix. I have found this while running a hose into the scuttle panel as just a trickle. The scuttle panel area does not flood. I am hoping that in removing the heater box that I can replace any seals.
I am hoping this makes sense to you.
got it.
in that case, it could be from this seal:

if the seal is fine, pay attention to the lower bolt.
i didn't have any leaking issues, but you can see from the picture that the bolt is a bit rusted at is base, evidence of it being in contact with a lot water.

good luck, and keep us posted.
i'm really curios to see where the lick is coming from once you find it (and i'm sure you will).
Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks, yes I am sure this is the seal. I am carrying on again this weekend so will keep you posted.
Walshie
Old 12-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
got it.
in that case, it could be from this seal:

if the seal is fine, pay attention to the lower bolt.
i didn't have any leaking issues, but you can see from the picture that the bolt is a bit rusted at is base, evidence of it being in contact with a lot water.

good luck, and keep us posted.
i'm really curios to see where the lick is coming from once you find it (and i'm sure you will).
Found it. The leak is coming in around the black steel panel that is bonded to the bulkhead, has anyone ever tried to remove this.. Thanks to meir for all his help. We couldn't have done this without you.# legend
Old 12-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

Garage
Hi Meir
With your help, we have found the leak. It is coming in through the black steel panel that is bonded to the bulkhead. A small water test has proved this now that everything is out. I am not sure if anyone has attempted to remove this in the past. I wouldn't want to risk damaging the bulkhead. Second option is to try and seal the panel and test again before putting the heater box back. Any advice would be welcome.
Nick
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
Hi Meir
With your help, we have found the leak. It is coming in through the black steel panel that is bonded to the bulkhead. A small water test has proved this now that everything is out. I am not sure if anyone has attempted to remove this in the past. I wouldn't want to risk damaging the bulkhead. Second option is to try and seal the panel and test again before putting the heater box back. Any advice would be welcome.
Nick
Hi Nick.
Are you talking about the part I show in the picture? I have to be hunest and say I don't remember any part that can be detached from the box. But then again I never looked for any leaks.
This way or the other I'm sure you can fabricate a foam seal or just use good old silicon.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
For sealant, I'd go with Permatex Black adhesive sealant. This is by far the strongest bonding silicone I've ever used. It bonds to most any clean surface and doesn't seperate or break down like most silicone sealants.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-07-2016 at 08:37 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #14

Garage
Hi Meir I am not sure if it is the same on left hand drive cars but it seams to me that porsche manufactured the same chassis for both Lh and Rh drive cars but where your pedals, steering rack etc pass through the bulkhead I have a black steel panel bonded to the bulkhead which in turn has the holes where the AC pipes etc pass through. It is around this panel that the water seeps into the cabin. Apparently this panel is very hard to remove as it is bonded. I do not know how to attach a photo otherwise I would attach for you to see.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #15

Garage
Hi. I have been told about Wurth bond and seal. Apparently it is moisture curing and used to bond panels. It contains no silicone so will not contaminate paint.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
1999 base

Garage
Hi Nick.
so i guess you are looking at this?

if that's the case, not sure i could help, as i never paid attention to this part.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
1999 base

Garage
to post a pic just go to the bottom of the "replay to thread window", and click the "upload photo"

then click on the "choose file", select the pic from your computer, and click on "upload now"

Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #18

Garage
Hi Meir,
Yes this is the panel that is leaking. I am not going to try to remove it as I don't want to distort the bulkhead and risk the panel not sealing again. I am going to try to re seal from both sides with Wurth seal and bond. I will be able to test it's integrity before putting the heater box back in.

Ability to add photos doesn't appear on my screen as I am using my phone.
Nick
Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #19

Garage

Hi Meir, found out how to attach but image is more than 2 mb. Not sure if you can save and open at your end.
Nick
Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
1999 base

Garage
Hi Nick.
Yes I can see your picture
Good call on the sealer, I'm sure it will work.
Good luck and keep us posted.