Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Another Stereo Question

Happy Thanksgiving,

I have a 2004 Porsche Boxster with the CD23 headset/amplifier. I want to add bluetooth for both calls and music. I have decided to purchase a CDR-220. I would also like to add an aftermarket amp (I already have upgraded speakers).

Can anyone tell me if what I want to accomplish is possible? Would it also be possible to power the speakers from the head unit itself?

If it is possible, what parts would I need to purchase.

Thank you in advance.

keeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

Hello, I installed a Pioneer head in my 01S about 6 months after I purchased it. I think I spent 85 bucks and of course it has bluetooth. I decided to add rear speakers to my unti about 4 months later. The pioneer was such an improvement on the OEM unit....but when I added the rear speakers and drove them directly from the pioneer head it was an incredible improvement. I plan on driving the front speakers directly from the head and bypassing the crappy OEM stuff completely....FWIW I am a 60 year old person who hates the "Thumping sound of stereos" just clean music. Also if your front speakers have not been replaced odds are they are in tatters and need replacing.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You can't run speakers straight off of the OEM units. Without an amp, the sound output would be nil.

The OEM equipment is pure garbage (all of them, head units and amps). Don't bother.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You can't run speakers straight off of the OEM units. Without an amp, the sound output would be nil.

The OEM equipment is pure garbage (all of them, head units and amps). Don't bother.
Couldn't agree more
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #5

If you want to keep your current stereo and add BT for calls and music,look at the iSimple Tranzit Blu. The unit is about $80 and connects quite easily...power, ground, antenna in and antenna out.

I bought one for my Boxster but ended up using it in my 2002 4Runner. The unit works great, pairs immediately and sound fine.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

Sorry, but that is not correct ( you can't run speakers off the OEM radio)
I don't know if I would say pure garbage, but certainly not the best available

The amp was an option and the radios have speaker outputs

I have no amp and once I added the rear speakers, even with the top down, it is decent, not stellar by any means, but not that bad either
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
A $40 JVC "radio" would be better
Or an old school boom box sitting in the passenger seat. A decent head unit can be bought for under $100 and still be 10x better than the best CDR-whatever.

Seriously.

But as long as you like yours...

Last edited by particlewave; 11-22-2016 at 06:21 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

CDR OEM unit is bad but the OEM amp is worst, any aftermarket head unit will have better output than OEM head unit and OEM amp combined
(Bad as in low output)
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Counterpoint:
I have the oem head unit with amp & dash + door + rear speakers. Aside from the common sticky buttons, and a volume knob that is sometimes a little balky when it is freezing, I am well-pleased with it. It is sonically good, particularly through the midrange which is for all practical purposes about all you can enjoy in a moving convertible. It is visually inobtrusive, which is my preference - I didn't buy this car to play video games or place distractions in the cockpit. It is 15 yrs old, and has aged better than most of the various head units I've had in other cars, both oem and aftermarket. I thought I missed bluetooth, until I installed a motorola unit, then discovered I really don't like using it in the Box anyway. I prefer rotary knobs, and the ones on the oem Becker have just enough damping to be easy to use while in motion, and have a quality feel. Most functions can be controlled via tactile buttons/knobs without taking my eyes off the road, unlike most modern units.
For the record, I am neither deaf nor stupid, and first took an interest in high fidelity audio around 1981. I enjoy music immensely, but math will tell you I am not a teenager, and I no longer obsess over making a studio of my vehicles. (Nothing wrong with overkill in any endeavor, including mobile sound, just not central to my enjoyment of my cars these days.)
If optimum sound for the $ is the goal, I would say there is more room for improvement with 1st speakers, then amp, then acoustic damping/nvr, then head unit and wiring.
While features like bluetooth and inputs or music libraries can be fairly easily added to the oem unit, it will take either time on your behalf or purchased expertise to do so, and it may prove easier to simply update the head unit. Good luck on getting one as reliable and cosmetically sympathetic as the oem, though.
To each his own.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:51 AM   #10

Thanks you for the replies.

I really like the simplicity of the OEM head units looks. It blends in with the simplicity of the cockpit. I would prefer not to change it. Knowing the many limitations of upgrading the MOST system has led me to the CDR-220.

I already have replacement speakers from CAI (the Hertz option). If I used a high quality aftermarket amp with the CDR-220 won't there be a great improvement?

Best
Brad
Old 11-23-2016, 05:27 AM   #11

Garage
If I replaced the OEM AMP would it make any huge improvement in the OEM speakers/deck ? Just curious if replacing just one item could make a big difference
Old 11-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #12

As a platform, Boxsters are weak so you're starting off behind the curve. Better speaker enclosures and dampening material like Dynamat the dash, doors and rear shelf will help.

Once you've improved the platform, your system will only be as good as your weakest component. For me, a great head unit that provide multiple adjustments - frequency, time alignment, individual speaker amplification, crossover adjustment - is the best place to start so you can tune your system for the sound you like. Great head units these days come with bells and whistles like Bluetooth, car play etc. Next for me is great speakers and last of all is a great amp.

Here's my system. It sounds as good as any I've heard - must admit, however, Apple Car Play is quirky in the Pioneer

Pioneer AVIC7200 head unit
Audison SRx 5 channel amp
4 Focal K2 100 KRS in dash and rear shelf
2 Focal K2 165 KRXs in the doors

Sound deadening in the inner and outer door panels as well as the dash
Two flush mounted USB ports in bat wing for Apple car play and Android auto
Phone mic mounted on steering wheel between wheel and instrument cluster
Tuned amp and crossovers via frequency mapping

Last edited by thom4782; 11-23-2016 at 08:14 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #13

I am lucky. I have no ear for sound quality. And, I won't touch or use the phone while in the Boxster. And, I prefer the look of the OEM radio over after market units. I have the digital sound system that is useless. It does, however, fill up one of the cubbies.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 11-23-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #14

Garage
These are the speakers I listen to the most

But when I am doing long hwy stretches I do like to listen to music
I read all these threads about replacing and how awful the stock unit is.
Its a Convertible!!!
How good could the sound ever be top up and especially top down even with the most expensive system?
Fortunately I have the upgraded unit with sub-woofer 6-cd changer in the frunk. This unit works really well with the top down, and of course top up

It does miss out on external connections but trying to use those while driving... I might as well be texting

Let the Flat Six orchestra play on
Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #15

Will a CDR220 work in a car with MOST? The 03 radio to amp is a fiber cable. Wont the backdate radio require new wiring to work with the OEM speakers? If that is true why not update?
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #16

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
These are the speakers I listen to the most

But when I am doing long hwy stretches I do like to listen to music
I read all these threads about replacing and how awful the stock unit is.
Its a Convertible!!!
How good could the sound ever be top up and especially top down even with the most expensive system?
Fortunately I have the upgraded unit with sub-woofer 6-cd changer in the frunk. This unit works really well with the top down, and of course top up

It does miss out on external connections but trying to use those while driving... I might as well be texting

Let the Flat Six orchestra play on
This, I looked into replacing the cdr23 just so I could listen to music off my iPhone. After upgrading my exhaust I find I never have the radio on anyways just the sweet song of high reva
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #17

Keeters - yes the amp will help a lot.
If you don't alreadyhave the rear shelf speakers and door woofers, add them at the same time. The oem amp is ok, if only b/c its freq cutoff for the door woofers is built in, but you can sonically do better with an aftermarket amp ( that will, like many mods, perform better than oem and cost way more,but actually subtract slightly from the perceived value of the car). If you go aftermarket amp, you can add frequency equalization / speaker time alignment / sub crossovers then. But I personally would get more fun out of any of a number of mechanical mods, for that money.
In any event, you will have to add conventional wiring from the head unit to to the amp, to replace the fiber optic MOST system wiring that you have now.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #18

I want to keep the stock look in my car, I want to add bluetooth for calls and music.

I don't think that can be done with my current MOST/CDR23 system. If there is a workaround to add bluetooth to the current setup please let me know.

As an alternative, I would buy a CDR-220 head unit, and a quality aftermarket amp, Could I add bluetooth to that setup?

Best,
Brad
Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #19

I believe Dension makes a unit that will work with your current setup - for a price of several hundred bucks.
There are multinumerous options to add BT for the standard wiring of the cdr220.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #20

Garage
WOW! I replaced my factory radio with a Chinese DD off Ebay it was $240. Replaced the 4 channel amp with a 6 channel amp from a 996 Cabrio. Replaced the speakers in the Dash with a pair I bought for $29.95. Replaced the door speakers with a pair of MB Quart speakers I had sitting in my garage. Bought 2 pairs of Pioneer 4 inch speakers to put in my rear cubby cost about $70-$80 for the 2 pair. Had a pair of 4x6 Pioneer speakers also put them in the cubby in the center. Sold the factory radio for $150. The system sounds terrific. I have an aftermarket exhaust and with the top down at 100 I can hear music just fine. The only complaint I have is the radio reception but that might be the antenna connection in the passenger side. I have a backup camera, Bluetooth for my cell, cd player, thumb drive, GPS. I was very happy with the outcome and didn't cost me a fortune.