Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #1

Damn swirl marks!!

ARrrrrgfhgghghh!!

So i just washed my car today and lo and behold, I have managed to induce swirl marks.

Perhaps I need to buy new sponges and towels or something. I managed to go over 16,000 miles without them and now--BAM all over the place.

Time for a visit to the detailer to have the swirls removed. Need to go re-read some of PerfectLap's threads too...

Last edited by Brucelee; 06-11-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Profanity
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #2

Smile

I have found that Klasse Sealant is a good preventive. Not foolproof however.

Good luck.

3M makes a nice swirl treatment.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #3

oh man! swirl marks = vibration - it's simple physics - why didn't i think about it before!!! the air gets trapped in the tiny little swirl lines and then the cars shimmy and bouncing and next thing ya know, its traded in on a red bimmer that doesn't have those damn swirl marks
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #4

swirls suck I just noticed some on my car this morning

but save some money and buy your own Porter Cable polisher. I got mine from coastal tool for under $120.
Before that I stopped by a fairly reputable detailier and they quoted me at least $100 for a 'rubbing compound' application. Not unreasonable since removing swirls and the prep work before that will take at least two hours. At least..

To prevent swirls from reappearing:
I would suggest washing with optimum no-rinse (added to your regular car wash soap) and start using sea sponges. Remove the nozzle and flood the car so that the water sheets off. Blot dry the remaing puddles with a waffle weave.
THis method reduces rubbing on the paint and the ensuing swirls.
Spray with FK 425 or FK 146 (cleaning version of 425) or a regualr over the counter quick detailer for final drying. Lubricate before drying.

As for your swirls I use Poorboys 2.0 or 2.5
start with the one panel and use the mildest product and see if it removes the swirls. Follow up with your Polish and sealant. I'm using Klasse All in One and
Poorboys EX. Oh yeah and don't forget to clay first.

http://www.paintcare-n-detailing.com
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #5

Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread of yours, my wrists are REALLY bad and I really can't spend time buffing out a car. I'll have to pay the detailer to do that.

Sea Foam Sponges, No-Rinse--will look into those. Other than that, I've been pretty much doing what you describe. I swear that those swirl marks really just appeared in a single washing!

I think maybe shouldn't use quick detailer so much either. I use the FK 425 (that is the pink stuff right?) between washings but I always wonder if I'm not using enough towels when doing it...

I just parked the car at work, stood out and looked at the swirl marks again. What a way to start the day. Blarg.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #6

I use sea sponges to wash and an "Metro Air Force Commander Dog Dryer" to dry.

I put a strap on it and just sling it over my shoulder. The air is not heated, I don't worry about swirls and the dryer gets water out of all the cracks. And it's fun! They're around $100.

You can also use it on your dog.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #7

you must have a cooperative dog.

Elsai,
I would go onto Autopia and post a thread that you are looking for someone to do a swirl removal. Allot of these guys are pros and have mobile operations.
http://autopia.org/forum/index.php? Some of they post pictures in the 'click and brag' section and they really peform miracles sometimes.

Quick detailing will definitely swirl the paint. I limit it to once between washes and make sure the panel and towel are both wet. No rubbing on dry paint which means goodbye car duster.
For the 425 magic pink porsche candy try to use a short nap polishing towel or the non-furry side of the microfiber towel to apply it. Use the furry side or a dedicated buffing towel to remove it.

Must swirls come from the washing/drying or applying waxes to a non-clayed surface. If you don't wax yourself its probably coming from the washing.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote