Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #1

temp concern

Been watching my temp gauge - (2001 Boxster, 28,000 miles) and it seems to be creeping further and further away from 180. It has always been slightly above the 180 mark but now it seems to be moving further up the scale. Any thoughts on what I could check to make sure I'm not running into a problem? Thanks for your help...........

jboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
bmussatti

Jboxster, have you checked your radiator(s) in the front bumper? Are the fins dirty/clogged?

On a side note, have you ever driven Rt. 135 through the Hoosier Nat Forest from Brownstown north to Morgantown? This is a great road for the Boxster. I drove this route during part of my break-in period. I only wish that I could have gotten above 4,200 RPM's for some of the many twisties. The road is very scenic and newly paved.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:42 AM   #3

I will check the front fins out.......

No I have not had the chance to try that route out, I live in the northern portion of the state and do not make it down to that area to often. Having been down in that area before (without my boxster) I'm sure it would be a great drive.

Thanks for your input
Old 06-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
bmussatti

People (on this Forum have found) find all kinds of stuff in these front radiators...including cigarette butts and condoms! It has be recommended to remove the front bumper to get really good access, if the radiators need to be cleaned.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboxster
it seems to be creeping further and further away from 180.
it's creeping closer and closer to summer! seriously, the other guys are right. clean the radiators.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I found a Jolly Rancher attached to my passenger side radiator when I cleaned mine out. As the temperature rises so does the car temperature,I heard my radiator fans turn on the first time in months last week.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #7

jboxster, when my temp started to climb in traffic and fall back to normal while at speed, I discovered my primary radiator fan was dead. The bearings had given way. Do you notice any temp rise or fall depending on whether you are sitting in traffic or on the highway?

Get the car up to temp, park it in your driveway, turn on the AC full blast, and leave the engine running.

Then walk to the front of your car and insure both fans are a blowin'. You should both hear them and feel them when you put your hand under the bumper in front of both front wheels.

If they're both blowing, cleaning the radiators is your next task. I took my shop vac and taped up the attachment from my house vac's crevice tool on it and got into both sides between the plastic slots in the front bumper. Removing the bumper is the best way to get every little bit out, but it's a ton of work!

I would also recommed that you take your garden hose to the radiators with the engine off and spray them with light to moderate force. This will loosen and remove dust and debris from the radiators.

One thing you didn't mention was if your overflow tank had a good bit of coolant in it or it was really low. Do check that when the engine is cold and top it off with the right colored stuff and keep an eye on it. Those expansion tanks develop hairline cracks that seep fluid out the bottom of the car and also inside your rear trunk.

Let us know what you find so we can all learn.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #8

It might be time for a coolant change and an overall cooling system inspection.

The fan, radiators, hoses etc. can all be looked at for proper functioning and new coolant never hurt anything either.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #9

Thanks for your input....I will try these things tonight. It does seem to go higher when in traffic and goes back down when I get up to speed. I looked at the front rad's and they are fairly clean with the exception of some leaves caught along the side and bottom. Thanks again for your help.....
Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #10

I'm having the same temp issue with my 2003. It used to stay at the same temp no matter what type of driving, now it goes up slightly when sitting in traffic. Let us know what you find. Thanks
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #11

BTW-

Keep in mind that the operating coolant of the car DOES NOT really stay at one temp. That it appears that way is really a function of the temp guage.

The temp will stay stable at 180 or so if the car is moving. If you are sitting in traffic, the temp will rise until the fan activitates.

The guage rarely registers the rise but it is there.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote