Thread: temp concern
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
RandallNeighbour

jboxster, when my temp started to climb in traffic and fall back to normal while at speed, I discovered my primary radiator fan was dead. The bearings had given way. Do you notice any temp rise or fall depending on whether you are sitting in traffic or on the highway?

Get the car up to temp, park it in your driveway, turn on the AC full blast, and leave the engine running.

Then walk to the front of your car and insure both fans are a blowin'. You should both hear them and feel them when you put your hand under the bumper in front of both front wheels.

If they're both blowing, cleaning the radiators is your next task. I took my shop vac and taped up the attachment from my house vac's crevice tool on it and got into both sides between the plastic slots in the front bumper. Removing the bumper is the best way to get every little bit out, but it's a ton of work!

I would also recommed that you take your garden hose to the radiators with the engine off and spray them with light to moderate force. This will loosen and remove dust and debris from the radiators.

One thing you didn't mention was if your overflow tank had a good bit of coolant in it or it was really low. Do check that when the engine is cold and top it off with the right colored stuff and keep an eye on it. Those expansion tanks develop hairline cracks that seep fluid out the bottom of the car and also inside your rear trunk.

Let us know what you find so we can all learn.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote