Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Why is this '97 Boxster unsellable at $6900 ?

1997 Porsche Boxster

This car has been for sale since the early Summer, around 4 months.
What gives? It even has the IMS done.

Non-S 1997 with 130k is just not a good combo?

sugarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:54 AM   #2

Probably because the ad lists the amount of money that was spent on it in the last few years and a potential purchaser would be worried they will need to continue the trend.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #3

Do better and more detailed pictures that show the condition of the car.

For example - which seller would you call?

This one:

Or this one?

And please remove that ugly black bra (if it's one).

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 10-19-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #4

+1 on ditching the bra. Also, white isn't the greatest color. GLWS
tommydorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice View Post
Probably because the ad lists the amount of money that was spent on it in the last few years and a potential purchaser would be worried they will need to continue the trend.
Agreed. If I saw a car for sale with that much money put into her in the past 5 months, my first thought is 'money pit'. List the important updates, such as IMS, but some of that stuff is just fluff...and don't list the costs.

And the black bra has to go.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #6

/ he's spent $ 5601 - not counting the bra & wind deflector
lots of good stuff done but as said 1997 - 130k + not a great combo color is blah

The more I look for a 986 the more I question my sanity
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #7

I bought mine this spring, 97 base with 64k on it for 3k, sold the hardtop it came with for $800 so now I have 2200 into one with half the miles so I think you are way optimistic on the price. I see lots of them listed with over a 100k for around the 4k mark so they are probably being traded around the 2500-3500 mark. You can get an S few years newer with lower miles for what you are asking for yours. It looks nice I just think that you are overestimating its value, these cars are so common and there are lots of them out there and the cost of maintenance keeps people from paying much for a 20 year old car.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
1997 Porsche Boxster

This car has been for sale since the early Summer, around 4 months.
What gives? It even has the IMS done.

Non-S 1997 with 130k is just not a good combo?
Agree that the biggest problem for me is the ad itself. They're selling a semi-exotic convertible., But the ad has it parked under a porch with the top up, and then tells how expensive it is to own. Oh, yes, and the bra. The bra hides the beauty of the car and looks dated. It is for protecting the car, not for selling it.

The seller should get a large number of good photos, of the interior and with the top down in a pretty location. The buyer should want to envision themselves sitting in the car in the photos. The text should emphasize how fun the car is and how a lot of work has been done to get the car in top shape. Odds are that the prospective buyer will be someone young who wants a cheap, fun car, or an older empty-nester who wants a low-hassle weekend toy. Nobody buys a Porsche for the repair bills, but that's what the ad talks about.

BTW, OP, Ijust noticed you never said if it was your car or just one you've noticed for sale. If not your car, sorry for the lecture.

Last edited by Dr. Acula; 10-19-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
Racer Boy

I agree with all the previous posters. Take some nice low-angle pictures, all of the ones in the ad are from above, and that makes any car look less attractive.

White is not the best color for Boxsters, but the interior color is desirable. Take some pictures of the interior if it is in good shape.

You can mention that all the maintenance has been brought up to date, but don't talk about the expenses. That would scare me away!

And yes, lose that bra!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

Garage
I agree with the rest, better pictures without the bra, top down and skip the maintenance price list. I think the price is ok, considering the recent maintenance but I wouldn't expect to get that price. It basically gives you room to negotiate. Advertise it in Wisconsin, the Badgers colors are red and white!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #11

I like it!
I like the white and I like the red!
I always wanted a white with red convertible.
And yes, lose the bra!
The one good thing about a bra is you know the car has been loved. They are trying to protect it. Few people would spend money on a bra thinking it makes the car look better.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #12

I think everyone is wrong about the maintenance list, anyone who knows Boxsters knows these are maintenance items that are required at some point and I’d think a buyer would (or at least should) appreciate knowing this work has already been performed, that it would be reassuring to a buyer. Just my take.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
I think everyone is wrong about the maintenance list, anyone who knows Boxsters knows these are maintenance items that are required at some point and I’d think a buyer would (or at least should) appreciate knowing this work has already been performed, that it would be reassuring to a buyer. Just my take.
I don't have a problem with listing what has been done, but the dollar amounts can be shown when the buyer shows up. It's always good to keep receipts, but listing the dollar amounts only highlights the cost of ownership and not the fun part
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I don't have a problem with listing what has been done, but the dollar amounts can be shown when the buyer shows up. It's always good to keep receipts, but listing the dollar amounts only highlights the cost of ownership and not the fun part
Yes, I see what you're saying.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #15

I really like the white/red and like that so much maintenance is done. In my BMW days I was always looking for a white/red E30/E28.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Because it's a '97 with 130,000 miles.
Because of that ugly faded orange interior.
Because there aren't enough pictures (interior).
Because someone put a circa 1985 bra on it (what's the paint like underneath? Not good. If it was fine before, the rubbing of the bra will ruin it).

You jerks who said "because it's white", better check yo self!
Everyone know silver/grey is the worst! There are just so many of them...

White is the shiz-nizzle!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #17
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Um silver with a ugly faded orange dyed to black interior is way better

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #19

I'm assuming this car does not belong to the OP. There may be some horrible defect that is not disclosed in the ad - bad AOS, torn top, trashed seats, obvious paint repairs, hidden damage under the bra, smells like mold, etc... "Runs and looks great" tells you essentially nothing about the actual condition of the car. Maybe there's something scaring away the people who see it in person? Sometimes what the ad *doesn't* say is more important than what it says.

There is an art to making good Craigslist ads. This seller could use some assistance.

The poorly written ad reads like this to me: "I've owned this car for 5 months and had to throw a bunch of money at it. Here's a few examples of the kind of money you can blow on this thing [...]. Now I'm dumping it to buy something else. It runs, and it looks okay in the shady photos I took under the porch. Either I don't care enough about this car to remove the bra and take good pictures, or I'm hiding something." Not that any of that is true, but that's how it reads.

At least he didn't put his thumb over the license plate in the photos. :-)
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
The one good thing about a bra is you know the car has been loved. They are trying to protect it. Few people would spend money on a bra thinking it makes the car look better.
I feel the opposite about a car bra. Most applications I've seen end up TRASHING the paint underneath. I always pegged the owners as careless.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote