Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 06:01 AM   #1

Autel vs Durametric

For those of yo with 1999 986 an 996 cars and airbag lights....

I have had a reoccurring airbag light for a couple of years. My Durametric can not read the Airbag module but the PST2 and the dealers system can.

I finally did the wiring update under the seat and went back to the Durametric but still no go.
There is hope. I just bought an Autel MD802 maxdiag elite ($200 amazon) and it is able to read the module and clear the codes. I also can read the alarm module and clear codes there as well.

I am unable to read live engine data however. Has anyone had success with that?

chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Contact Durametric. The issue with reading modules is common on the '99, but they have a fix.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Contact Durametric. The issue with reading modules is common on the '99, but they have a fix.
I have but they couldn't or wouldn't help. They did send some beta software to try but it did not work. They said they do not have any more of the older cables either.. I got tired of waiting. My cable is about a year old.

I saw your posts and that's what led me to contact them again and to the MD802. It seems to work pretty well. I was able to turn off the service reminders on my VW as well.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
I am unable to read live engine data however. Has anyone had success with that?
I just got one recently and it does live data no problem. Here's a random graph on a '99.

Following the OBD II scan, I just selected "Live Data" and it ran fine, tabular and graph.
Lots of YouTube videos about it. Jump to about 12:00 minutes in this video for the live data demo:
Old 10-05-2016, 02:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubert View Post
I have but they couldn't or wouldn't help. They did send some beta software to try but it did not work. They said they do not have any more of the older cables either.. I got tired of waiting. My cable is about a year old.

I saw your posts and that's what led me to contact them again and to the MD802. It seems to work pretty well. I was able to turn off the service reminders on my VW as well.
Same here. Really disappointed in Durametric. I too bought the MD802 which is what I should have gotten in the first place and not wasted my time with Durametric.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I just got one recently and it does live data no problem. Here's a random graph on a '99.

Following the OBD II scan, I just selected "Live Data" and it ran fine, tabular and graph.
Lots of YouTube videos about it. Jump to about 12:00 minutes in this video for the live data demo:

Hmmm I did not try the live data from the OBD2 scan but I did try it from the other scan menu where you can see things like Cam deviation etc. None of the fields would populate. I could see live data including engine RPM when viewing live data in the A/C section. I was specifically looking for cam deviation inf though.

My Durametric will produce cam deviation data but I am not sure it's accurate. It says 0.0 for 1 and 3.0 for the other. I would expect some decimal places and some variance when tested.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #7

I was able to read deviation on my '01 with the Autel, but don't remember where I found it. Out of town right now but will check when I get home.
Mr176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That Autel is really making me regret my Durametric. I really like that you don't need to lug around a laptop. I'd need to see a comprehensive run-down of its abilities vs Durametric before taking that leap, but it's looking better all the time.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #9

Anyone have new input on the Autel MD802 or Durametric? I want to purchase a diagnostic tool. Right now, I would like to view cam shaft deviation and have a CEL code P0442 I would like to troubleshoot beyond my OBDII Scanner.
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Meh, I have a Durametric. More information than I can understand (though after purchasing and reading the DME code books I'm catching up). The real measure isn't the tool, it's your ability to use it. (I also have a piano, a guitar, and an oboe (don't ask) I can't play.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #11

And for Actual Values we need a comprehensive list of specs ,all in 1 place. They are scattered .

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote