Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

My First Six Months With My 986: Ten Things I've Learned.

I bought my 2000 986 back in January of this year. It immediately went into the local indie shop for a long list of repairs and upgrades, and was finally released to me last May. I've been driving it nearly every day since. As a first time Porsche owner, here's what I've learned:

1. You cannot drive this car without smiling. I know this because my wife, who rides with me frequently, tells me I'm grinning like an idiot. I've let a few of my friends drive my car (trying to be a good Porsche ambassador) and, sure enough, the Boxster smile appears -- usually around the top end of second gear as the tach crests over 4,000.

2. The 986 is a $20,000 car. Regardless of what you paid for it at the outset, you will spend a minimum of $20k on this car. I helped a friend buy a 986 (one of those same friends who drove mine). I warned him. He paid $12K, and immediately put another $5K into it. The next round will cost him around $3K. Pay it now, or pay it later. It's a $20K car.

3. OMG. The price of parts.

4. Exactly 257 people have told me I own a hairdresser's car. I am told this at stoplights, in parking lots, and at the gas station. My response is always the same: I bend over laughing, slap my knee, and say "That's hilarious...never heard that one before!"

5. Exactly 118 people have told me my car is not a real Porsche because it's not a 911. No. It's not a 911. It's better.

6. Guys in big, jacked-up "bro" trucks with off-road tires and too many LED lights love to tailgate me, or pull up within millimeters of my trunk at stoplights and rev the engine.

7. Speaking of trucks, I'm tired of fat, gap-toothed rednecks in beat up Dodge Ramchargers coming up to me at the gas station and asking me if I want to trade cars.

8. Everyone wants to drag race. Everyone. Minivans. Camrys. It's ridiculous. Mustangs are the worst.

9. In all my other cars, I would listen to music or news while driving. I have never turned on the radio in this car. I don't even know if it works.

10. One last thing: I cannot walk away from this car in the parking lot without looking back. Just can't do it.

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
1) Agree

2) Strongly disagree. This has not been my experience. 5 years in, my total is about $12.5 k ($10k purchase).

3) You have much to learn There are many ways to avoid Porsche tax.

4) Have never heard this in the real world, only in Internet forums.

5) The correct response is, "Oh, yeah? What kind of Porsche do you drive?"

6) Anyone driving one of those has serious manhood issues. Just feel sorry for them.

7) Just had this happen for the first time last week. Best to laugh and play along so they don't assume you're a stuck-up prick.

8) Mustang Sally. Period.

9) This is also my policy for leisure driving, but I also make a 4 hour round trip every week. The stereo sure does come in handy for that.

10) 5 years later and I still do this every single time. It's an issue.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #3

My car is almost 17 years old. It now has almost 132K miles on it. It has its share of beauty marks but overall, still looks great for its age.

I'm keeping it. It's as much fun now as the day I bought it.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
2. The 986 is a $20,000 car. Regardless of what you paid for it at the outset, you will spend a minimum of $20k on this car. I helped a friend buy a 986 (one of those same friends who drove mine). I warned him. He paid $12K, and immediately put another $5K into it. The next round will cost him around $3K. Pay it now, or pay it later. It's a $20K car.
Any car can eventually be a $20k car. You have to decide where to stop. I stopped at an additional $4k in...many of the upgrades not really necessary, like new visors and a stereo upgrade.

Quote:
4. Exactly 257 people have told me I own a hairdresser's car. I am told this at stoplights, in parking lots, and at the gas station. My response is always the same: I bend over laughing, slap my knee, and say "That's hilarious...never heard that one before!"
Not once. Did used to take occasional crap when I drove a Miata...often from guys driving Corollas or something likewise boring.

Quote:
5. Exactly 118 people have told me my car is not a real Porsche because it's not a 911. No. It's not a 911. It's better.
Not once.

Quote:
7. Speaking of trucks, I'm tired of fat, gap-toothed rednecks in beat up Dodge Ramchargers coming up to me at the gas station and asking me if I want to trade cars.
Happens with all kinds of cars and trucks. Take it as a compliment.

Quote:
8. Everyone wants to drag race. Everyone. Minivans. Camrys. It's ridiculous. Mustangs are the worst.
There is definitely heightened aggression occurring with a lot of other drivers. I see a lot more people flooring it when I pop around them to pass than I do in when driving a Prius. Pickups and Chrysler Hemi's are the worst offenders.

Quote:
9. In all my other cars, I would listen to music or news while driving. I have never turned on the radio in this car. I don't even know if it works.
Love my radio upgrade. The stock radio was horrible.

Quote:
10. One last thing: I cannot walk away from this car in the parking lot without looking back. Just can't do it.
Quilty.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

I've also been asked if I'm a dental hygienist (definitely not). Maybe it's a regional thing.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Here's my responses to that...

Quote:
1. You cannot drive this car without smiling. I know this because my wife, who rides with me frequently, tells me I'm grinning like an idiot. I've let a few of my friends drive my car (trying to be a good Porsche ambassador) and, sure enough, the Boxster smile appears -- usually around the top end of second gear as the tach crests over 4,000.
Agreed. Lord help me, I've tried not to smile. Can't be done...

Quote:
That I've spent $34K on. LOL

Quote:
I SO agree...

Quote:
I have never once heard this in person. Never. Not once.

Quote:
Another one I have never heard in person. Not once. But I agree it's better! Mid engine baby! But I have to add that 911's are awesome too!

Quote:
6. Guys in big, jacked-up "bro" trucks with off-road tires and too many LED lights love to tailgate me, or pull up within millimeters of my trunk at stoplights and rev the engine.
Ok, I'm starting to think you need to move to another state. Do you live in Detroit or something?

Quote:
Guys in big trucks are always coming up to me and telling me how much they love my car. I always tell them to get one, that they're dirt cheap now. I warn them about the parts though...

Quote:
This has only happened to me twice in 3 years. I respond by giving them a friendly wave or a thumbs up while pointing to their car and then pretending to play with the climate controls... leaning over and pretending to adjust the carpet on the passenger side until the light changes works well too...

Quote:
These cars have radios?

Quote:
Just like the not smiling thing, walking away without looking back is not physically possible.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
I bought my 2000 986 back in January of this year. It immediately went into the local indie shop for a long list of repairs and upgrades, and was finally released to me last May. I've been driving it nearly every day since. As a first time Porsche owner, here's what I've learned:

Agreed, love driving mine, on street or on track...

Quote:
Depends on what you have to do to the car -- mine was bought cheap, lots of mods, and still MAYBE $15k total.

Quote:
Realistically these are $50k+ cars with parts prices to match.... However,
if you learn where to shop, you can cut your out of pocket costs significantly.
Also learn how to DIY a few things, and you can keep repair bills in check.

Quote:
I don't have that problem -- might be the racing numbers, or the tire marks on the hoods and fenders -- or the 5 point racing harness :-)

Quote:
This usually only happens in the paddock, just before the session they give me a point by :-) Actually the track folks know these are impressive for the $$.

Quote:
Mine spits flames when I down shift (cat delete and borla exhaust :-) -- usually garners some respect leading up to stop lights...

Quote:
I make some joke about fuel economy and super unleaded prices.....

Quote:
I can't out drag my own shadow -- so I let them be my radar detector.....

Quote:
Borla exhaust drones at <3K, so I'm at 4K+ rpms, can't hear the radio anyway.

Quote:
[/QUOTE]

Mine's a workhorse -- not a beauty queen.... but I daily drove my previous S for 4 years -- so yep -- she was a looker....

11. Do an HPDE -- and see what she's really capable of .....
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

Number 9 and 10 really speak to me here. I've had my 2000 S since May and haven't turned on the radio more than a couple times to appease my girlfriend, and I always look back on it while walking away. Idk about better than a 911.... but it is certainly one hell of a car.
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:

1. It actually has a name it's called Permagrin.
2. Yup.
3. Yup.
4. Also have only heard it on the internet. Have also heard "chick car" and for Tiptronics "chicktronics" also only on the internet.
5. Nope, never heard that from any Porsche owners.
6. Yup. Most are frustrated wanna be semi drivers because their trucks all sound like semi diesels.
7. Nope, never hear that. Had a guy pull up next to me at a light in an old Ford pickup and ask me that and I just said "in your dreams."
8. Porsche is the benchmark for anyone who wants to brag to his buddies that he beat one.
9. My "radio" is the flat six symphony.
10. Yup. Six years later I still do it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I am one year into ownership of my first Porsche, an 03 Box Base, and I share many of your thoughts. If I am not driving my car, I am thinking and dreaming about it - EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Known Gearhead

Garage
Yep, a lot of what you posted is true. I don't get much in the way of reactions from anybody, anywhere around here (NorCal). I think it depends on your location.

The Box does inspire back road fun driving. My previous DD, a supercharged Miata NA, was more of a "take me to the track" car; not as playful. Owning this Porsche caused me to start a local MeetUp driving club, which has been great:

Fair Oaks Sports Cars Meetup (Fair Oaks, CA) | Meetup

If you're in this neck of the woods, join in. It's free.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #12

I still have never heard anyone negatively comment on my car. Maybe us Canadians are a bit more polite. Most if they don't know what it is, ask, while others usually say "She's a beauty".
With an upgraded surround sound system and subwoofer - that little cabin is a great place to enjoy some hot tunes while winding through the twisties. I find the music helps spur the car on!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #13
Boxing in Australia

I think it is a measure of the appeal of these cars that owners put up with the financial pain of maintaining them, we could easily taken a sensible decision and bought an MX5(Miata) for low cost ownership. Mind you, parts are not particularly cheap for these cars either, but rarely required.

As Ettiore Bugatti is reported to have retorted to an owner complaining about the maintenance cost of his car "if you can't afford to maintain it, you should't have bought one in the first place!"

When you consider what good value Boxsters are second hand then a bit of expenditure on maintenance can be accepted.

We are about to depart on a 4 day week-end away with 9 others, (mostly MX5"s},hoping all goes well, (No embarrassing smoke on start-up hopefully}

Cheers Alan
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #14

I should probably explain that I work with a lot of young military guys who happen to be at a stage in their careers where they receive a huge bonus for staying on active duty. You can probably guess what many of them do with that huge bonus. Consequently, the parking lot here at work is full of BMW M3s, M4s, Mustangs, Camaros, and even the odd Maserati or two. So most of the comments I get are just good-natured ribbing, and they get it right back, believe me.

The one thing I should add is that these cars have an incredibly timeless design, as evidenced by the people who think I'm driving a brand new car. They're always shocked when I tell them it's 15 years old.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #15

Garage
1. Absolutely
8. I'm baffled by the number of people who tailgate / try to pass etc in daily traffic ... it never happens when I'm in my DD...
9. Agree. Love the sound of the engine. I don't let the kids turn on the radio when they ride with me either, they need to learn to appreciate the flat 6 symphony.
10. Look back at least once. Every time. After 3 years ... and can't imagine not doing so. The timeless design makes everyone think it is a lot newer than it is ...
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #16

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Partially agree. I've had to repair three broken things on my car so far, and all parts have been less than $200 total. However a key head and tires (these weren't repairs) were crazy money.
4-8. Can't agree. No negative comments at all. I did have a guy ask me at the gas pump once, "how much does it cost to fill THAT thing up?". As if gas costs more to Porsche owners than Chevy owners? What? He was being friendly though, I think. People tailgate me a lot less in the Porsche than in my Lexus SUV.
9-10. Agree. I love the way it looks and drives. Buying a Boxster was top of my bucket list, so I'd be ready to check out if I weren't having so much fun.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #17

Very true on the timeless design people ask me if is a 2015 or 2016 car as well
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

Garage
Smile

[QUOTE=The one thing I should add is that these cars have an incredibly timeless design, as evidenced by the people who think I'm driving a brand new car. They're always shocked when I tell them it's 15 years old.[/QUOTE]

A quick story to reinforce this. Recently I was at a stop light and the driver next to me yells out and asks if this is the NEW Boxster. I laugh, say no, it is pretty old, going on 15 yrs now. I get this on occasion, but usually it is from folks who don't know P cars, so what he said next made it that much more cool. He said he just sold his 993, so he was surprised this was such an old Boxster. I asked how he did on the 993 sale, and with a big grin he said he bought it at $45K and sold it at $100k. I said wow, maybe you should buy one like this for $12k.....
Old 09-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #19
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Or 4-5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #20
Certified Boxster Addict

1. Agree!
2.There are no cheap Porsches.
3. The single biggest cost of ownership.
4. Only from friends. I might need new friends.
5. I was told that I didn't own a real Porsche when I owned a 996 911. Hater's are gonna hate.
6. Ditto.
7. I get this at least once a month. I laugh along.
8. Mustangs are the worst - absolutely true!
9. I often just listen to the car.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote