Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I can move from a 99-00',is it worth it?

Someone in the neighborhood is selling their 00' Boxster w/51k on it.
This Boxster is in very good condition. Tires are in good shape and it has 51847 miles. The car has all of the standard features plus a CD player, preimium wheels with colored crests, cruise control and a special order paint color. New rear window a year 10 months ago. Runs great.
It is a dark grey metallic,manual,has the 17 inch premuim wheels,not the 18 inch Turbo Twist like I have now. I would have to deamber the car,and install the rear speaker kit again like I did to my 99'. I dont mind adding all those in time. Besides the added power, what advantages does a 00' have compared to a 99'?

Last edited by blinkwatt; 06-06-2006 at 12:57 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #2

2.5 to 2.7 not such a big jump.
2.5 to 3.2 you will feel a big difference.

If you're condisering trading up (a good move the market is good for buyers now and getting better) I would wait a little longer and get an S with low miles that is at least 3 years newer than your current car.

Pick up a copy of Excellence at Borders or Barnes & Noble. They have a market review guide where they explain the differences between model years and different values.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #3

I would look for an S also.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #4

I third the S. When I bought my 2000S I test drove a lot of cars in the 1999-2002 range S and non S and really the only big difference was the engine on the S.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #5

Hi,

Not to discourage you, but I think it's a bad move. The difference isn't that great so far as it being better. It is more complex with the eGas and this can cost you more in maintenance etc. You're not getting Heated Seats, NAV, Glass Rear Window, 'S' Power

And you already know the car you have now. You won't get the money back for the Mods you've put in or the maintenence you've done, so they will be part of the cost of doing the swap. Also, I assume you'll sell yours and buy the '00, that means more Sales Tax, higher Ins. (slightly because the Car is newer) and you'll likely pay more for the '00 than you get for your '99. Then you'll want to Mod this one - more $$, much more if you address the wheels. All for something which is basically what you have now except that it is more of an unknown and you may have to do things such as you've done to yours like MAF, Oil Change, Pads, Fluid, Clutch?

All in all, it's your Car and your money, so if you want it, do it. But, I think in the end, there'll be no Net Sum Gain...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:03 AM   #6

Garage
+1 on what Jim said..

You know the history of your car and what if any quirks it may have. The '00' gives you a little more HP (16)/torque,better top insulation and maybe a few interior doo dads but this car has 50k+ miles.

I can't remember how many sad tales of woe I've seen on this and othe r boards from people buying used Boxsters with substantial miles and having it go south in a hurry.

The question would seem to do be--do the gains from a one model year newer car justify the $ for the uncertainty of this used car. I'd insist on a dealer inspection and run the carfax search--for what that's worth. If it were my $, the potential risk would outweigh any marginal performance gains of the 2.7; YMMV...
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 AM   #7

Not worth the trade. I wouldn't do it unless it was atleast an 03 with glass rear window.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
fab

I agree w/Jim's response and a couple of other folks to chimed in. It doesn't make sense to buy the 00 model. It's not even a S model. I would wait until your ready for an 03 or newer model. Save your money....

painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote