Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
For comparison purposes, I have owned my 97/Tip for just over a year. I have spent just over $2k so far. $1150 on maintenance and $850 on wants. $550 of the wants was for the wind deflector set and the non smokers console. I have managed to do all of the maintenance myself to date. I will spring for a Durametric cable, when I do the next round of yearly maintenance work. I have put 7500 miles on it in that time.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Garage
What you have done is establish a baseline for maintenance and eliminated a key point of failure. Well done.
I have come to the conclusion that time is no friend to these cars, they do not age gracefully. There are a lot of plastic parts used in these cars and I find there is always something to do, replace or upgrade. Fortunately I am retired, enjoy working on this car, and look for things to do to and for it. With proper attention these cars can be very reliable. There will be other opinions.
A plastic part you may want to look at is the coolant expansion tank in the trunk. If it is white as virgin snow congratulations! If it is yellow like old parchment, then get ready to replace it.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #3

Just be prepared if you live in an area that mandates emissions testing to renew the plates. My catalytic converters failed to pass this year. OEM cats are $1,500 each, and there are two of them. I had my shop go with third-party, and the total bill was still $1,800.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

I would say yes, definitely. A big chunk went to a fix that is rarely needed - the IMS. And some of the other fixes are certainly ones you could have done over time. If you have the money though, what does it matter?