Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

On the floor work light

I have a Snap-On line voltage worklight that looks like a small sun when turned on....really too much most of the time. I am looking for a rechargeable LED floor light for my shop, I see lots but I was curious if you folks had any recommendations or experience with these ??

Thanks in advance

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Racer Boy

I'm looking forward to the responses to your posting, just this weekend I asked myself why I was still using my halogen work light that is not only too bright, but hot as the surface of the sun. It's only been about fifteen years that I've been using the damned thing and hating it!

I also think a LED light would be the way to go, but it doesn't need to be rechargehable.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
My new favorite work light is a headlamp. Comfortable, dimmable, and puts light exactly where I want it, when I want it.

This is the one I got. I loaded it with Eneloop rechargeable batteries and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Spot-Headlamp-Titanium/dp/B00FYK1OB0/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1472103256&sr=1-2&keywords=black+diamond+head+lamp
Old 08-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
1999 base

Garage
im using this one
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-DML801-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Flashlight/dp/B00QV8FNMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472148817&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+light
you can get it to light in every possible angle, hang it, and it also has 2 levels of brightness.
since i have all the Makita LXT tools, i already have the batteries and charger, so i thought i'll give it a try. i liked the one i got so much, so i ordered another one.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #5

+1 on the headlamp. I use the same one that I use for hiking and mountaineering. It's a Black Diamond like Topless and it's really handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #6

I found one

Rechargeable 30W Outdoor Portable LED Flood Spot Work Light Caravan Camping Lamp | eBay

in no way associated with this seller.

Nice two brightness light , good flood effect and not a spot that will trigger migraines or start forest fires. The batteries are rechargeable and easily replaced and it was dirt cheap.

Have run it for 4 hours straight and still going strong.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Pdwight;507700]I have a Snap-On line voltage worklight that looks like a small sun when turned on....really too much most of the time. I am looking for a rechargeable LED floor light for my shop,
In the shop we use HF led lights because the guys destroy them - but they love them !
We have yet to find one at any price that can be drooped or run over without damage ,so we buy the cheapest. And they never get stolen -unlike S.O.
The irritating thing about some is they have a dazzling flashing function in the switch sequence.
Get the biggest, brightest one you can to illuminate a large area but also get nother one with a searing pencil beam. This is fantastic for inspecting the bowels of our cars. For example AOS issues- you need a very bright light to see what is going on up there !
Oddly one hack we use when you need two hands and lots of light - I have an adapted Miner's hard hat that stays on even when I tilt my head backwards(AOS) and I use one of those tiny free HF LED flashlights in my mouth. This trick plus long skinny fingers is invaluable on the M96. The guys with sausage fingers get to work on other stuff -much to their chagrin !
It is the closest work to proctology I know !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
When I'm working on a car that's on jack stands, I slide an old 48" florescent light underneath. The illumination is even and bright and the fixture is narrow enough that it is easy to keep out of the way. I use a headlamp for tight areas.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #9

WE used to have T-8s on the side of the 4-post lifts for that reason - yes, works great

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote