Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

slammed into a curb

First of TC isn't as good as I thought it was. So anywhoo, anyone think this is a bad hit. I cracked my rim and rotor; and snapped my wishbone. Other than that anyone think of any other damage? Oh and my front bumper is misaligned with my headlight, suprisingly the radiator is fine.

Don't know why my pictures are upside down

2001 boxster S Grey/Grey 6 Speed ( not stock and don't know whats been done to it)
Speed doesn't kill, It's the sudden stop that does.
mustang2porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, that is a pretty hard hit!

Check steering rack, tie rods, sway bar, drop links, wheel bearing, spindle, shock, alignment, under tray, etc, etc, ....
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I would suggest that after you replace all of the broken/bent bits, you should probably get it to an alignment shop that is familiar with Boxsters. They will know what else to check.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #4

Couldn't get a better picture, but the main thing I'm was worried about was the ball joint getting stuck in the wheel carrier, as I can easily acquire a wishbone, and rotor just to get me rolling (this my only car)

2001 boxster S Grey/Grey 6 Speed ( not stock and don't know whats been done to it)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Regarding the removal of the ball joint you may want to spray PB Blaster for a couple of days to help you with the removal of the ball joint.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

My advice, drop it off to a bodyshop trustee. They should have straightening tools and get on with the install of your parts (easy install really). Swapping parts is not an issue, making sure it's put back where it was, or near, will be a challenge.

If the (steel) rotor snapped, chances that there is (aluminum) structural damage is near 100%

bet you've seen better days :/
Old 08-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
Couldn't get a better picture, but the main thing I'm was worried about was the ball joint getting stuck in the wheel carrier, as I can easily acquire a wishbone, and rotor just to get me rolling (this my only car)
Not sure if yours is right or left. I have a right hub from an 01 base available. (Prices so low we can't list them here...) If you might want it, let me know and I'll send you the part numbers so you can see if it's same as the S.

Seeing your pic, I'd want to check the aluminum sub-frame, then replace everything on that side from the sub-frame out. Need it from an S or better condition? Call Woody: 512-925-9171

Old 08-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

Luckily the front hub is the same on the base and S. It's the rear thats different. I'm betting your upright is bent
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Not sure if yours is right or left. I have a right hub from an 01 base available. (Prices so low we can't list them here...) If you might want it, let me know and I'll send you the part numbers so you can see if it's same as the S.

Seeing your pic, I'd want to check the aluminum sub-frame, then replace everything on that side from the sub-frame out. Need it from an S or better condition? Call Woody: 512-925-9171

I'm at work right now, I may give you a call tomorrow afternoon. honestly I'm hoping nothing is more damaged than what I can observe, have the car on jack stands and both sides look identical, have checked the subframe also, though another main concern is getting another radiator bracket also since that is mangled and I think affects my headlight positioning.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #10

I did this once in a really dark parking lot and tore my radiator straight out into the wheel well with a beautiful crack to boot. Fortunately for me I didn't experience any of the damage you did but if you notice any coolant leaking in the days to come shoot me a pm and I can offer some good advice
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahhrr View Post
I did this once in a really dark parking lot and tore my radiator straight out into the wheel well with a beautiful crack to boot. Fortunately for me I didn't experience any of the damage you did but if you notice any coolant leaking in the days to come shoot me a pm and I can offer some good advice
coolant completely leaked out of the radiator ( and the rear reservoir so I could move the car out the street), luckily I just replaced my left radiator last month, and kept the old one (thinking it was bad, but was just a hose), if the left and right are interchangeable I got a spare radiator, need just the bracket. thanks for the advice offer, but looks like I'm gonna get cut hands again lol.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
... I may give you a call tomorrow afternoon. ... another main concern is getting another radiator bracket also since that is mangled and I think affects my headlight positioning.
Just to clarify, If you want the part from me (in the picture) PM me. If you want other used parts at a good price, call Woody at the number I posted.