Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

6 cylinder Boxster market

Greetings folks!
I've been away for a while! Has anyone seen or done an analysis of the what the switch to 4cylinders might mean for the future value of the 6cyl cars? I am sure the new 718 is an engaging car but I can't help feeling like its the end of an era for the mid-engined cars. Any thoughts on how this might affect the market?

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #2

I like Porsche cars because of the product’s quality. I also love my VW Passat but nothing refreshes me seeing & touching properly engineered cars like a Porsche (not limited to Boxster here). Aesthetic wins me. Quality leathers, stiches, carpets, accessories, color combos – the body curves, stance, aerodynamics.

You could put in 2cyl in it and I’m sure I’d still buy it tomorrow. For legal/street/city and fun use anyway. So yea, Porsche will likely keep me as a customer for many years to come. Flat-6 or not.

For the track, well that is a totally different story. I use 210whp tuned HRC prototype motors onto a 140kg frame for that purpose (2 wheels). TS 200mph/hr, 0~60 in 2.8sec.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
MWS

What would be really I interesting (and telling) would be to see sales figures from the 981 vs 718. Everything on paper says the turbo four in the 718 outperforms the natural six on the 981; be very interesting to see how people vote with money though.

As far as the 986 goes, I think we are a ways out from sought after collector status, just too many made.

Lastly, the change to a turbo four isn't as earth shattering as the loss of the air cooled 911s as all manufactures are shrinking displacement in almost all models to achieve mandated standards, not just Porsche, and not just on the Boxster.

Ok, I can't resist a tirade on "mandated standards"... These are so arbitrary they might as well mandate 1000 mi/gal. Additionally, displacement has NOTHING to do with real world mileage, two examples below:

- My Boxster is in shop, and for a loaner we have a 2.0l 4 cylinder turbo Q5, we also own a 3.2l natural 6 cylinder Q5. Ya know what? Real world mileage is about the same.

- We also have a 4.2l natural V8 S5, and when our Q5 was recently in we had a 2.0l A5. Again, real world mileage was about the same. Sure, if I wanted to watch mileage plummet to single digits (and also smile) all I need to do is mash pedal on the S5, but alternatively if I wanted to really stretch it (and be really bored) the S5 with the V8 could achieve better mileage then the little 4 cylinder due to lower revs. I've said it a million times, mileage isn't a factor of engine size, more how you drive. I'd love to see someone hyper-mile in a W12 vs a I3, and I'm sure my theory would be well borne out.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
- My Boxster is in shop, and for a loaner we have a 2.0l 4 cylinder turbo Q5, we also own a 3.2l natural 6 cylinder Q5. Ya know what? Real world mileage is about the same.

- We also have a 4.2l natural V8 S5, and when our Q5 was recently in we had a 2.0l A5. Again, real world mileage was about the same. Sure, if I wanted to watch mileage plummet to single digits (and also smile) all I need to do is mash pedal on the S5, but alternatively if I wanted to really stretch it (and be really bored) the S5 with the V8 could achieve better mileage then the little 4 cylinder due to lower revs. I've said it a million times, mileage isn't a factor of engine size, more how you drive. I'd love to see someone hyper-mile in a W12 vs a I3, and I'm sure my theory would be well borne out.
See the Top Gear comparison of a M3 vs. Prius. Perfect example of this.

I just attended a PCA function where they had four 718s available to drive for 200 attendees to test drive. The placed cleared out pretty quickly and I did not see a single person looking to buy one.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Garage
The new issue of Panorama states "Boxster sales are down but Caymen sales are up 25%". This is probably due to the Caymen being cheaper due to the new pricing structure.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

I don't believe the 4 cyl with any impact on sales or desirability of the 6 cyl in future years unless the motor is a dud. If it performs people will buy it. I bet there is huge grop of people that have no clue if the 2, 4 or 6 cyl. A pole was released that showed many BMW 1 series owners thoughts there car was FWD. Some people just want the emblem whether it is BMW, Porsche or MB.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

Emissions are generated by quantity of fuel burned and the efficiency ratio (lean or rich of stoic) at which said quantity of fuel is burned.

Efficiency is a measure of how much power is extracted from the fuel burned and is affected by timing, compression ratio, efficiency ratio, frictional losses, rotating mass and Cd. (Perhaps I've missed something?)

The new 4s run lower compression pistons and are therefore less thermally efficient in that area. Perhaps the new car can run leaner ER than the old one. The new 4s have less reciprocating mass; so gain some efficiency there.

I would bet that at full song, the old 6 would compare favorably to the new 2L 4 in terms of efficiency.

But then Porsche does not car so long as it performs well under the guidelines of the regs.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Car magazine reviews I've read think the 4-cyl turbos are great cars, even compared to the 981.2s. Their only complaint is the exhaust sound, which seems like a pretty inconsequential issue.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Fix how it sounds and eliminate the turbo lag completely then this good sports car could be a great sports car. Just drove one over the weekend and for me both these issues would prevent me from buying it. Yes they are faster then 981.1 and for that matter the S is faster then the 996 and 997. If I was in the market for a 981 I'd get a used 6 cylinder.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

Hi,

have driven the new 718S B4. Not a bad car, but didn't catch me. A N/A B6 is completely different to me. Have driven a Cayman GT4 as a passenger. That car catched me. The 718 was more like a farting old VW Beetle – which did even sounds better to my ears. OK, it was fast and powerful and had a very good ride, but it didn't have soul.

Don't know if the older car prices will raise again. I see a bubble. Prices for 996 / 997 Mezger engine cars are high right now. 993 and other air cooled car have astronomic prices. Especially the rarer ones. And don't forget the Porsche spare part prices and maintenance costs.

But the question is if the Smartphone generation Z is interested in such things. I would say no. Most of them will be more interested in modern technology, connected and self driving cars. And don't forget that there will be less people in the near future in most whealthy regions of the earth.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

A bit early to tell. I personally think it will have no effect at all because the merits of the new four cylinder have no effect on the massive quantities of m96, m97 and 9A1 engines built. The market is awash in water pumping Porsches.

However, most of these have deffered maintenance or generally not well-maintained.
Once the original owner trades up, the second and third owner taking care of the car is a crap shoot. murky vehicle maintenance history scares the pants off second hand buyers unless they are really handy, have the tools, have the budget for the over-priced parts, have the time and have the space to work...most second hand buyers don't fit the bill. They'll buy a Honda or Toyota.

That being said if you do posses a well-maintained Porsche convertible or roadster, you'll get decent money for your car some day. But not because it's the last of the six cylinders. More because it's a well looked-after drop top that is attainable for a modest sum. Many second hand buyers won't go near air-cooled cars because they're not wrenchers and the buy-in prices will likely always be high because of their tiny numbers. So its either pay up a little for a well-maintained 6 cylinder or wait for these weird sounding 4 cylinder cars to lose half their value. Once that happens there will be few water pumpers left worth buying (due to high mileage and expensive lifter work that will be needed) and I don't think owners will be willing to part with their well-invested 6 cylinder car for low ball offers.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-25-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #12

I predict that the values of 2001 Seal Grey 6cyl. Boxsters will double in the next few months and soon be into 6 figures!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #13
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
If those people on American Pickers can hold out and not sell their rusted hulks with trees growing up through the floorboards until someone offers a ridiculous price, then I can hold out and not sell my fun as hell NA flat six until infinity and beyond!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote