Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
olly986

drop top temperature

i have a query about dropping the soft top, it is recommended not to drop it if the temperature is under 17 o celsius(Farenheit?) but is this the ambient temperature or the plastic window temperature, obliviously if it is 17 ambient the window might be a good bit hotter, specially in the sun light and the heat generated from the engine, but if it is the window, the ambient temperature could possibly be less, i have had a cracked whitening rear window before after the car spend time in a mechanic, can someone clarify this for me

Old 05-31-2006, 03:25 AM   #2

Wow thats one hell of a run on sentence, and the end there i have no idea really what you were trying to say.

17*C is quite warm, where 17*F is hella cold and you wouldn't be driving the car. 17*C is about 63*F which is fine to lower the roof. I think the limit for lowering it to not crack the plastic is around 40*F or 5*C. It all has to do with how plyable the plastic is. If its cold out the window is stiff and brittle and could crack.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:56 AM   #3

Be kind. English is second language in Ireland!

Just kidding, I am half Irish and my grannie is pulling me by the ear right now!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Wow thats one hell of a run on sentence, and the end there i have no idea really what you were trying to say.

17*C is quite warm, where 17*F is hella cold and you wouldn't be driving the car. 17*C is about 63*F which is fine to lower the roof. I think the limit for lowering it to not crack the plastic is around 40*F or 5*C. It all has to do with how plyable the plastic is. If its cold out the window is stiff and brittle and could crack.

After finding that many visitors to our site look for the world's longest run-on sentence we decided to create an entry and our first step in finding the world's longest run-on sentence was to to look up the definition and found that a run-on sentence is a sentence without a punctuation marks where they should be and as a result combining what should be many sentences into one long one which we found after doing some research can be endless and has no clear cut example that we can officially call the world's longest run-on sentence and thus we do not have an answer but we must add that although this is a run-on sentence with quite a few words it is far short of run-on sentences written by people with too much time on their hand and we do not claim this to be the world's longest run-on sentence as all we are stating is that we could not officially find one.

Oh and good luck with your top.
subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #5

I love that!
Jeffrey776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #6

They're referring to the ambient temp because no one is actually going to measure the temp of the plastic window. The point of the rule has to do with the window, though. If the plastic is too cold it can crack. I believe the same can be true of the glass rear window.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
olly986

Jim i know that 5 o celsius is too cold to lower your top and it will whitens the rear lense, for the other dipstick who think it is fun it cost around 4 grand here to replace the softtop not something to laugh at oh and by the way lving in Ireland do not make you a paddy Brucee!!

otherwise thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
creseida

Well, I've been known to go topless when it was in the upper 40's lower 50's (Farenheit), turn on the seat heaters, and cruuuuuuise.

My window is the 8 year old original, and it is still quite clear, with just a hint of "whiteness" at the very edge where the plastic meets the fabric. I don't know how much this has to do with temp vs. age vs. the fact that 95% of the time I drive the car, the top is down.

FWIW: I've a bit of the Scots-Irish on me da's side.

Last edited by creseida; 06-02-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
olly986

really!! i am not too sure what is 40/50 farenheit (sounds cold)but i can guarantee you that the plastic window on my 97 box had a serious white mark all the way accross, then it actually cracked in one place when at the mechanic for service (actually water pump/belt replacement) i have been extremely aware of the temperature ever since, when i bought my S there was two little cracks one on each side at the seams but i patch them up with a small spot of clear silicone, having the car since last November i haven't been driving topless(as you said, sounds interesting still) yet!
this week is the first week here with good weather so i might enjoy it soon

see ya
Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
creseida

45-50 degrees F = about 7-10 degrees C.

But I love the cooler temps; above 75 degrees F (24 degrees C) and I'm getting uncomfortable. Add in humidity and I'm one Unhappy camper.

Last edited by creseida; 06-02-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
olly986

time to upgrade to an S with air conditioning maybe ?
the most unconfortable, i still think is how hot and sweaty the leather seats can become on hot days.
otherwise if i had a choice i would never put the top on again, this is what i like about cabriolets it reminds me of my days driving motorbikes in the open air a very nice feeling indeed
Old 06-02-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
creseida

Tis why I have sheepskin seat covers for the seats; not nearly so hot and sweaty in summer.

Don't tell anyone, but I have actually put the top up once or twice and turned on the a/c when the heat/humidity was simply unbearable. I much prefer the open air though. Afterall, that is the whole point of owning a drop top.

As for upgrading....I'm happy with the one I have for now. Perhaps in a few years.

Last edited by creseida; 06-02-2006 at 05:16 AM.